Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 9,468 times

Advertisements

I am a New Yorker fed up with the cold, seeking a home to buy in South Florida to live in for at least half the year.

I am considering places in the Miami Area: Brickell, Coconut Grove, Key Biscane and also the Palm Beach area (haven't settled on a specific location yet).

In an ideal world this is what I would want:

1) Convenient to the PBI or MIA airports (either myself or my family will be traveling back/forth at least two times per month)
2) Under 500k
3) A house with a private pool where I could plant a garden.
4) Safe neighborhood. Ideally with other New York transplants.
5) Walking distance to the beach
6) Lots of good restaurants nearby, movie theatre, organic grocery store, etc.

I know that is a lot to ask. Thought I would see if you guys could recommend a place where I could get most of it, if not all.

I lived on SoBe for three months and though I liked the weather, I didn't feel particularly safe when walking around at night. I have visited WPB a lot and like the clean look/feel of Clematis street and that area.

I'm in my early 30s, my boyfriend is in his late 40s. We will likely start a family in the next few years. We can both work remotely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 10:18 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Have you thought about a condo? The only reason I would suggest this is since you won't be living in the home during hurricane season, it will be easier to find someone to close up your place. Or you can close up the condo when you leave in April. Also you won't have to deal with a lawn guy and a pool guy as the condo association deals with it.

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-09-2014 at 08:05 PM..

Old 02-28-2014, 11:03 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
I would agree that a condo would fit you guys better. There is always maintenance that needs to be done regardless of the time of year, and if you're gone for 5 or 6 months, you're really going to have to find somebody trustworthy to make sure everything is kept up.

You might try Surfside, but that is really getting expensive. Just a few years ago you could buy a 3/1 house just two or three blocks from the beach for in the $300's. These days it's more like $600K.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:00 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobetrottingGirl View Post

I am considering places in the Miami Area: Brickell, Coconut Grove, Key Biscane and also the Palm Beach area (haven't settled on a specific location yet).

1) Convenient to the PBI or MIA airports (either myself or my family will be traveling back/forth at least two times per month)
2) Under 500k

I know that is a lot to ask. Thought I would see if you guys could recommend a place where I could get most of it, if not all.

I lived on SoBe for three months and though I liked the weather, I didn't feel particularly safe when walking around at night. I have visited WPB a lot and like the clean look/feel of Clematis street and that area.

I'm in my early 30s, my boyfriend is in his late 40s. We will likely start a family in the next few years. We can both work remotely
As mentioned, in the Miami-Dade beach towns, from Miami Beach up to Aventura, you will be able to find most, if not all, of what you list in a nice 2 bedroom condo.

West Palm Beach - City Place and Clematis Street - is not on the beach. For that you have to go to Palm Beach where I don't think that $500k will cut it for a single-family home.

If you insist on a single-family home, then try Boca Raton or Delray Beach, though even there you may have to sacrifice walking distance to the beach for under $500k, but possibly within a very short drive and more New York transplants - at least per capita - than in Miami-Dade County.

Good Luck!

Old 02-28-2014, 02:12 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Walking distance to the beach and under $500k for a home will be almost impossible to find. Suggest you take the walking to the beach requirement off. Or go with a condo.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:39 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
I am a New Yorker fed up with the cold, seeking a home to buy in South Florida to live in for at least half the year.

2) Under 500k

Yeah the price is low. If you really want a house by the beach then you need to go further North like Melbourne.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:03 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
I doubt you will find anything within a walking distance to the beach for $500K.

Have you considered Fort Lauderdale? There is a also a very nice airport there. Easy Jet Blue flights to JFK or White Plains.

And MIA is not THAT far from Fort Lauderdale.

Check out this place:

http://www.floridamoves.com/property...1&AgentID=7800

Last edited by ruski; 03-01-2014 at 09:20 AM..

Old 03-09-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
As mentioned, in the Miami-Dade beach towns, from Miami Beach up to Aventura, you will be able to find most, if not all, of what you list in a nice 2 bedroom condo.

West Palm Beach - City Place and Clematis Street - is not on the beach. For that you have to go to Palm Beach where I don't think that $500k will cut it for a single-family home.

If you insist on a single-family home, then try Boca Raton or Delray Beach, though even there you may have to sacrifice walking distance to the beach for under $500k, but possibly within a very short drive and more New York transplants - at least per capita - than in Miami-Dade County.

Good Luck!
Thanks for your suggestions. So I think the consensus is that a condo makes more sense. I had my heart set on a garden (not even having a window planter in NYC) but I agree it's more logical considering I won't be there all year.

So for a condo, do you think I am better off in the Brickell area or in WPB? I think the overall quality/cleanliness of the area is more important that being able to walk to the beach. I want to feel like I'm living in a community (that has people my age) and that my daily routine is pleasurable. Also,I want the place desirable to rent out when I'm not there (have a good view and/or beachy feel). I realize these may lead to different conclusions.

Where do you think my $ and resale value would go further?

Old 03-09-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Walking distance to the beach and under $500k for a home will be almost impossible to find. Suggest you take the walking to the beach requirement off. Or go with a condo.
If I took the "walking to the beach" requirement off, what area do you think would be best?

Old 03-09-2014, 06:05 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
If I took the "walking to the beach" requirement off, what area do you think would be best?
I don't know Palm Beach at all. For the Miami Area $500k is not much these days. It can get you a nice home but in the suburbs like Miami Lakes, and the more distant suburbs. For a condo though there are plenty of good areas and even close to the beach. If you have a condo in mind you can look just about anywhere. You could even get a small condo on the beach for $500k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami