Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:28 AM

663 posts, read 503,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
The drivers are bad here but I have not noticed a speeding problem. Once in a while there will be someone going fast down I-95 late at night. But on city roads, residential roads I have not noticed much of a speed problem.A bad driving problem yes. But not speed.
That's routine on Collins Ave and parallel streets (Miami Beach), even though there's some enforcement. Obviously not enough to deter speeders. Only speed cameras will bring order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 12:27 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post
That's routine on Collins Ave and parallel streets (Miami Beach), even though there's some enforcement. Obviously not enough to deter speeders. Only speed cameras will bring order.
oh please the reason people ignore speed limits is because they are ridiculously low. in most cases speed limits are 6-14mph below what they should be. Effects Of Raising And Lowering Speed limits

Old 03-06-2014, 02:23 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
oh please the reason people ignore speed limits is because they are ridiculously low. in most cases speed limits are 6-14mph below what they should be. Effects Of Raising And Lowering Speed limits
Agreed. Somewhat. I think most of the speed limits on city streets here are fair. Besides for Biscayne Park I can't think of any crazy low speed limits. 30-35mph is perfect reasonable in residential and dense commercial areas. 40-45mph is fine on the wide streets like US-1 South of Downtown and the Northern portions of Biscayne North of North Miami.

The speed limits which are low are the highways. But I have never had an issue with the limits on the streets. Speeding on streets with bicycles, pedestrians, children, driveways, parking lots etc.. That is just plain stupid.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
When they go through heavily populated communities such is not the case. They simply terrorize people who otherwise may enjoy a walk or bike ride in their community.

Such instances are common on Collins Ave/Harding Ave, very populated communities from 63st to 96st. On the other hand Pine Tree Dr has lowered the speed limit to 20mph! Such is the beauty of living in an affluent community.

If you have an issue with the speed limit fight the law not break it. It is indeed too low in some areas so they can set up their speed traps.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:18 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post

If you have an issue with the speed limit fight the law not break it. It is indeed too low in some areas so they can set up their speed traps.
When corruption sets the law, and most people are apathetic about it, it's much easier said than done.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:39 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Agreed. Somewhat. I think most of the speed limits on city streets here are fair. Besides for Biscayne Park I can't think of any crazy low speed limits. 30-35mph is perfect reasonable in residential and dense commercial areas. 40-45mph is fine on the wide streets like US-1 South of Downtown and the Northern portions of Biscayne North of North Miami.

The speed limits which are low are the highways. But I have never had an issue with the limits on the streets. Speeding on streets with bicycles, pedestrians, children, driveways, parking lots etc.. That is just plain stupid.
Even city roads have the limits 2 low. 3 lane roads in the burbs like bird rd,Kendall dr, coral way, US1 and 8st should have the speed limit raised to 50mph. When they shrink back 2 2 lanes lower it to 45 mph. 8st when it's 4 lanes should have a limit of 55mph US1 should also go up to 55mph once it gets past sw 104st. No city rd with more than 1 lane should have a speed limit lower than 35mph: yea i am talking about all those 25mph zones in downtown and on sunset dr. As 4 the express ways they need to raise the speed limit on the MacArthur causeway to 60mph. The parts of the 836 with the speed limit at 55mph should be increased to 70mph. The parts of the 826 where there are 10 or more lanes should have a speed limit of 75mph. the rest of it not under construction should have a limit of 70mph. The highest speed limit in the state should be 90mph and all zones where the speed limit is 70mph should be raised to 90mph. The lowest speed limit on any part of the turnpike not under construction should be 75mph same goes 4 the interstates. Areas where the limit is 55mph raise to 75mph, areas where it's 60mph raise to 80mph and so on. The absolute minimum I would tolerate on an expressway is 60mph and that is if there is construction otherwise 70-75mph 4 city and 85-90 in rural zones.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:47 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
MH, the issue isn't with the width of the roads but the fact that these roads pass through complex, populated areas where the higher speeds don't give you enough reaction time. Even if it gave you enough reaction time because you commute through every day, how about the tourist or inexperienced or elderly driver beside you? Not everybody on the road is just passing through--there is such a thing as LOCAL traffic, and these roads do have actual DESTINATIONS along them! 50 mph would be appropriate for Kendall Drive if it were passing through an agricultural area. In the country many 2 lane roads have 50-60 mph speeds with no issues.

The Dolphin has curves and large, complex interchanges and of course the distraction of the airport, which makes 70 mph not feasible, at least until we get fully self-driving cars. Again, human reaction time! I-95 has been changed to 11 ft lanes to add in the express lanes, and 70-80 mph would hardly be appropriate there. The MacAuthur has traffic lights, bike lanes, city busses, and residents living along it and turning on/off it, as well as Jungle Island and the merging traffic from the truck tunnel which is about to open. If anything, the limit needs to come down to at least 45 there. In residential areas people are not just confined to inside their houses and cars, people actually get out and walk, jog, and bike, children actually play and walk or bike to/from school. So 35-40 mph would is definitely NOT be appropriate in residential areas. Residential areas are not alternate routes for the expressway or US1! In dense commercial districts like Brickell, Coconut Grove, and South Miami, you generally find many pedestrians who do need to cross the street. 25 mph is quite appropriate in this situation, besides, this generally only spans a few blocks and doesn't increase car travel times much at all. There are dozens of other traffic conditions in Miami that will cost you much, much more time than having to drive at 25 mph for a couple blocks--so leave early next time...or move closer!

Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
When corruption sets the law, and most people are apathetic about it, it's much easier said than done.
Well, "we the people" are supposed to be running the democratic process, but along the way it was hijacked.

You know what they say when you point out the flaws in the system? They say, "Gee, that's only your opinion because everybody's happy with it!"

You know, I think unless the politicos open some forums to get feedback from the people, it's all a mind game. You get something called "democracy" but wonder what's the point of it. You always waiting the next politician will change something.

Is there anyone talking about the chaos on our roads? Is anyone even mentioning traffic on I-95?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:14 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
^^^ The traffic on I-95 is so chronic, you'll notice that it rarely gets mentioned in the evening traffic reports on the radio unless there is a serious accident, since it is just everyday "normal" traffic!

So much for suburb-to-suburb traffic being the answer...you just get backups at access ramps AND entering downtown, instead of just at downtown. Most of the access ramps to I-95 need to be completely re-done, some should probably be eliminated entirely (why have ramps at both 125th and 135th???).

Old 03-08-2014, 03:41 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowwatertemple View Post
I disagree, Miami is not really a safe environment for turning right on red because of all the people I almost run into each day who are turning right on red, who decide to make this maneuver even though they cannot really see, because some loser moron in a giant Ford Expedition is sitting next to them blocking their view. If you tell me that you have not almost run into some quick driving fool trying to turn right on red, I'm going to say you're not being truthful or you have never been to Miami.

A good portion of the drivers in Miami lack the ability to make determinations of what constitutes safe vehicle operation.

In addition, it is funny to not turn on red because people behind you will almost immediately start honking their horns like full blown morons if you do not, which creates a great opportunity for me to take advantage of Florida's stand your ground law. If I get somebody really angry behind me, I'll actually turn on my hazard lights and sit there through another light change or two, just hoping that the angry person leaves their vehicle and approaches mine.

Florida's Stand Your Ground law ceased to apply to you the moment you posted that last post. You pretty much gave them all the information they need to send you to the electric chair, should you choose to use that right. You should think about trying some anger management classes instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami