Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:20 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm 25 and graduating in May 2014.

I will have an accounting degree and I'm on path to start sitting for the CPA exam this June or July. I already have a job lined up here in Boston for October 2014 but I have been wanting to move back to Florida since even before I got this job offer.

The firm I have this job with also has a offices in South Florida. I'm not sure if I could ask for a transfer before my start date.

On top of that, my lease here is up in May or June and if I sign another lease I will be stuck in Boston another year. I feel like I'm just waiting to live my life.

I'm just so tired of waiting for the things I want to do in life be "appropriate" or "smart" moves. I miss Miami dearly and I'm willing to walk away from this firm if I can find another CPA job in South Florida.

Also, I haven't been in South Florida for the past 3 years. Has anything changed?
What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 11:29 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
My neighbor is a CPA, he's out of work right now, he's taking contract jobs that last a few months to a year at a time. He's had two CPA jobs that lasted two years each out of Florida, he wants to stay in Miami, but their aren't any jobs in his field he says. If you have a job lined up I'd go with it. If you really want to move to Miami without a job lined up, make sure you have a years worth of savings to live off.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:24 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Okay, I'm 25 and graduating in May 2014.

I will have an accounting degree and I'm on path to start sitting for the CPA exam this June or July. I already have a job lined up here in Boston for October 2014 but I have been wanting to move back to Florida since even before I got this job offer.

The firm I have this job with also has a offices in South Florida. I'm not sure if I could ask for a transfer before my start date.

On top of that, my lease here is up in May or June and if I sign another lease I will be stuck in Boston another year. I feel like I'm just waiting to live my life.

I'm just so tired of waiting for the things I want to do in life be "appropriate" or "smart" moves. I miss Miami dearly and I'm willing to walk away from this firm if I can find another CPA job in South Florida.

Also, I haven't been in South Florida for the past 3 years. Has anything changed?
What do you all think?
I know it's hard, but stay in Boston and gain experience for anywhere from 2-20 years, in the meantime building your contacts in Miami or elsewhere in Florida to return later as a true professional with some accumulated wealth under your belt in addition to the experience. By then, you could transfer, as mentioned, perhaps work remotely, or you may even have your own practice.

In short, you have to pay your dues, or make your bones, as the sayings go, and in many cases that's usually done in places like New York, Chicago, Boston, etc. Work hard, live below your means, save, and endure the cold.

Good Luck!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:54 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
My neighbor is a CPA, he's out of work right now, he's taking contract jobs that last a few months to a year at a time. He's had two CPA jobs that lasted two years each out of Florida, he wants to stay in Miami, but their aren't any jobs in his field he says. If you have a job lined up I'd go with it. If you really want to move to Miami without a job lined up, make sure you have a years worth of savings to live off.
You know, this is true of SO many fields in Miami. The jobs just aren't here and the ones that are here pay terribly.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:17 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
^^^Yep. Florida people get payed in sunshine.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:36 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
Like with everything it is all about supply and demand. When it comes to jobs, careers and businesses in Miami there is more supply than there is demand. Look at how many accounting firms we have, the same goes with attorneys offices, insurance agents, real estate agents, automotive repair shops, car dealerships, trades, hotels, and the list goes on and on. They all have to cover their rising overhead, overcome increased competition and lack of growth, and turn a profit in the end, something which is becoming more and more difficult to accomplish.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:42 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Pear-you know the job market here blows. You know the true answer...

Old 03-11-2014, 10:40 PM

52 posts, read 64,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^Yep. Florida people get payed in sunshine.
So true...but sometimes I wonder if sunshine is worth more than money

I miss Miami so much

Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 PM

271 posts, read 384,310 times
Stay in Boston, start the job in October. (you may like it and want to stay).
Work into 2015 have a good attitude and ask firm about relocation opportunities.
Don't go to Miami without a job unless you have a real nice bank account.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:54 PM

52 posts, read 64,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron60 View Post
Stay in Boston, start the job in October. (you may like it and want to stay).
Work into 2015 have a good attitude and ask firm about relocation opportunities.
Don't go to Miami without a job unless you have a real nice bank account.
Agree. I just moved from Miami to NYC (my hometown) in January and just wanted to go back. Got a job in the field I went to school for in NY, but still visited Miami this past week, and was only able to secure a restaurant job. I'm back in NYC and will try the "real" job to see if it goes anywhere. If not, at least I can save my money and move back to FL. But starting over ANYWHERE broke is a bad idea. When I was in Miami this past week and thinking about staying, i found myself eating cheaply (sometimes to the point of going to bed hungry) and wondering whether I would be a burden to friends I crashed with. I'm gonna at least take the chance of establishing my career for now. Miami will not crumble down while I see if this job is for me, and dare I say, I might get used to NYC again.

As far as relocation, that would only keep me more focused if I were you. Don't rush and ask too early, or if you do ask, keep it casual and see whether that would be a possibility in the future. The fact that you are starting off in a company you know has ties to the place you want to be... That is something I only wish I had.

I hated Miami while I was there because I was stuck in a lease while working crappy-paying jobs. Only right before I came back to NYC did I realize that I could have just moved to a place with a shorter or month-to-month lease -- it wasn't just a matter of renewing the same lease. You're not stuck unless you make yourself stuck.

Why not enjoy Boston for the simple fact that you probably will never live there again (or so it sounds) while building up your career? That's what I'm doing. It's spring now, but come next winter, it's back to Miami or off to Cali, unless this job ends up going realllly well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami