Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 07:40 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover1 View Post
I still find it ridiculous how some people complain about certain things in Dade county or claim to.not like Dade, and praise broward and palm Beach for not having those certain things or claim to like broward or palm beach, but all the "negatives" Dade has so does broward and palm beach.

Plus, Dade has the best and nicest suburbs in the entire area, best and nicest beach town and suburban beach towns in the area, best or at least as good private schools, universities, parks, activities, events, museums, literally everything. Plus, you're most likely closer to the city and the city is in dade.

I've never come across such ignorant metro population on the Internet or such a biased one or filled with hatred.
Dade like any other place has some nice suburbs but Broward and Palm Beach have more nice suburbs. Dade has no beach towns or suburban beach towns. It is all high density with the exception of very small and ritzy areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 10:15 PM

515 posts, read 624,324 times
Quote:
Sometimes I feel like it's waste commenting on these forums because it's clear people on these forums either aren't from here, have never lived here a significant amount of time or are just trolling.

1. A lot of people find it very enjoyable living in the city, so you don't have to live outside the city to live somewhere enjoyable.

2. There are areas outside the city that their population is significantly less populated, a significant small population, significantly more quiet and significantly quiet.

3. The suburbs are nothing like the city.

4. All suburbs, beach town or suburban beach towns here aren't the same.

5. The suburbs are not exclusive west of the city.

6. The Miami metro area doesn't consist of just dade county.

7. There are more suburban beach towns in the Miami area than just key biscayne.

I've said it before and all say it again, all these incorrect, exaggerated statements just hurt Miami and it's metro area. Which means, the area you live gets hurt. If you lived here and didn't like it then have a life and don't waste your time commenting incorrect or exaggerated lies about the Miami area because it does hurt the people that live here in the long run.

It should be clear from my prior posts that I base my opinions on experiences gathered from many years in Miami and abroad. You may not agree with me but my knowledge of the city has been earned.

#1 Of course living within a city setting can be enjoyable, Miami included. I addressed issues with the southwestern suburbs of Miami, not the City of Miami.

#2 Examples from Miami?

#3 Did I or anyone else say that suburbs are like cities? In Miami, as I pointed out, many of the benefits that suburban residents of other cities in the country enjoy are not present in Miami suburbs.

#4 What beach towns or suburban beach towns are you referring to in Miami??? Second time I have asked now. If you want to chop up Miami Beach and earmark Surfside and Sunny Isles that is fine. What else?

#5 Sure, if you would also like to include Miami Beach as a suburb go ahead but most people refer to it as the City of Miami Beach and acknowledge it is very much unique and separate from Miami.

#6 Yes, the Miami Metro Area doesn't consist just of Dade County. It includes two other counties and runs all the way up to Jupiter. It is also broken down into 3 Metropolitan Divisions, one for each county and includes 11 other principal cities.

Meaning, all roads do not lead to Miami in South Florida. Even statistically. It is only named the Miami metro area beacause it is the largest city out of the 12 but that does not mean it is the "city" for all of the suburbs in the other two counties.

People in Broward are not in the suburbs of Miami, they are in the suburbs of Fort Lauderdale. The same for Palm Beach. You are the one that seems to be confused with statistical data and definitions.

#7 This again? List a few because outside of what I named. Key Biscayne, Miami Beach (Surfside/ Sunny Isles) What else? Do you want to get microscopic and separate Bal Harbor or include the City of Aventura as a beach town? Your definitions, albeit an attempt to be technically correct, are coming up short.

What truly hurts Miami is the poor urban planning from the prior 50 years with an infrastructure that can never support its population. Couple that with many areas that have the highest percentage of foreign born residents (over 70%) in not just this country but the entire world and you have a situation which serves to complicate progression

Last edited by shamrockfisher; 05-08-2014 at 11:10 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 10:38 PM

113 posts, read 220,078 times
Quote:
Sometimes I feel like it's waste commenting on these forums because it's clear people on these forums either aren't from here, have never lived here a significant amount of time or are just trolling.

1. A lot of people find it very enjoyable living in the city, so you don't have to live outside the city to live somewhere enjoyable.

2. There are areas outside the city that their population is significantly less populated, a significant small population, significantly more quiet and significantly quiet.

3. The suburbs are nothing like the city.

4. All suburbs, beach town or suburban beach towns here aren't the same.

5. The suburbs are not exclusive west of the city.

6. The Miami metro area doesn't consist of just dade county.

7. There are more suburban beach towns in the Miami area than just key biscayne.

I've said it before and all say it again, all these incorrect, exaggerated statements just hurt Miami and it's metro area. Which means, the area you live gets hurt. If you lived here and didn't like it then have a life and don't waste your time commenting incorrect or exaggerated lies about the Miami area because it does hurt the people that live here in the long run.
This is my experience and I agree with this.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I still find it ridiculous how some people complain about certain things in Dade county or claim to.not like Dade, and praise broward and palm Beach for not having those certain things or claim to like broward or palm beach, but all the "negatives" Dade has so does broward and palm beach.

Plus, Dade has the best and nicest suburbs in the entire area, best and nicest beach town and suburban beach towns in the area, best or at least as good private schools, universities, parks, activities, events, museums, literally everything. Plus, you're most likely closer to the city and the city is in dade.

I've never come across such ignorant metro population on the Internet or such a biased one or filled with hatred.

Broward and Palm Beach do not have the same negatives as Dade. You are either lying or lying to yourself.

Biggest difference: Traffic congestion.

Broward has Dade beat hands down, no comparison. It is not just the population difference either. Broward has I 95 and the Turnpike like Dade but also the Sawgrass Expressway that runs the Western border along the Everglades and I 75 that whisks people out to the West coast and 595 that functions like 836 in Dade.

Miami and Dade County's huge problem is not having a westernmost expressway to sweep up traffic. Also, incredibly, Dade loses I 95 at Key Biscayne. It's a major f up for everything south and west.

Second biggest: Language

Broward and Palm Beach do not have to deal with the whole white flight and no one speaks the right language issues that are ever present in Dade.

I could go on but things are much different past the county line.

Again, the only city is not in Dade. People who live in Broward gravitate primarily to Downtown Fort Lauderdale and Boca Raton has its own center, Delray Beach as well and Palm Beach is its own city hub for the rest of the northern part of the county.

Please clear your own definitions and head. I'll give you a pass if you are only 17 but if not you have a lot of catching up to do.

Last edited by shamrockfisher; 05-08-2014 at 11:01 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 PM

683 posts, read 853,452 times
Quote:

Please put the crack pipe down. They is beyond false. Broward and Palm Beach suburbs are way cleaner and greener. My only issue about Dade is the diversity and the lack of the English language overall.

Nothing wrong with Dade as far as hanging out and having a good time. I mean at this point Miami is more popular than NY or LA when it comes to where people want to vacation. Miami is definitely the hot spot to be for fun. I will not disagree with anybody on that. Plus it's nothing to travel to Caribbean island or even South America without a long exhausting flight and cheap flight. There are a lot of positives about Miami. Just somethings people value certain things over others.

Last edited by deboinair; 05-08-2014 at 11:28 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 11:03 PM

683 posts, read 853,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Broward and Palm Beach do not have the same negatives as Dade. You are either lying or lying to yourself.

Second difference: Traffic congestion.

Broward has Dade beat hands down, no comparison. It is not just the population difference either. Broward has I 95 and the Turnpike like Dade but also the Sawgrass Expressway that runs the Western border along the Everglades and I 75 that whisks people out to the West coast and 595 that functions like 836 in Dade.

Miami and Dade County's huge problem is not having a westernmost expressway to sweep up traffic. Also, incredibly, Dade loses I 95 at Key Biscayne. It's a major f up for everything south and west.

First biggest: Language
Fixed

Old 05-08-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Please put the crack pipe down. They is beyond false. Broward and Palm Beach suburbs are way cleaner and greener. My only issue about Dade is the diversity and the lack of the English language overall.

Nothing wrong with Dade as far as hanging out and having a good time. I mean at this point Miami is more popular than NY or LA when it comes to where people want to vacation. Miami is definitely the hot spot to be for fun. I will not disagree with anybody on that. Plus it's nothing to travel to Caribbean island or even South America without a long exhausting flight.
Exactly. The further I get away from Miami the more I appreciate it and want to come back for a visit. Well, Miami Beach, specifically.

I remember one time as a kid flying back into town from a vacation and gazing at the city lights from above before we landed. I said to an older woman sitting next me, "Isn't it nice?" She said, "Oh, yes, beautiful. I love to visit but I would never want to live here."

I took offense and imagined whatever little rock or puddle jump of a town she crawled out of. It wasn't until years later when I finally lived somewhere else that I stopped and thought to myself, "Damn, that b*tch was right!"

Old 05-08-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Fixed
Touche.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:08 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Really I'm willing to bet that I've lived in Miami way longer than you. It's just that "NY Know it all attitude" that keeps you from comprehending. I think nobody will disagree that Miami is primarily a Hispanic city at this point. So because you son goes to school with a few different ethnities that do not take up the majority of the population of the Grove it's diverse? That's great logic you have.
This is comical. You seem to have a heard time following conversations and in response, intelligently leaving comments. So let me help you out here.

Our conversation starts off talking about coral gables, coconut grove and other areas in east Miami. To deflect from the fact you don't know what you are talking about, now YOU try to change the subject to all of Miami.

I first said

Quote:
I am the opposite. I lived in Broward and hated it with a passion. Moved to Miami and actually loved it. But I guess it depends on where you live in Miami exactly. But that is true of any city. I lived all over Broward, just wasn't my cup of tea. With that said, you are right, people should take complaints under advisement if a number of people are saying the same things.
source

Since you have a problem picking out the pertinent parts of a conversation, let me assist you. The key to understanding my statement is this
Quote:
But I guess it depends on where you live in Miami exactly
See that part, this is me indicating that Miami is not one monolithic area. Neighborhoods vary, and you can find what you want in Miami, you just have to find the right neighborhood, which is true of ANY place, unless of course you just don't like what a place has to offer in general, hence my statement about hating Broward. I hope that helps you comprehend where all this began, Now lets proceed.

You then say:

Quote:
And I'm the opposite of you. I love Broward. lol Although I must admit I couldn't stand it years ago. It's diverse now so I guess that is one of the main reason I like it. Nothing like hanging out The Shops at Pembroke Gardens for happy hour and Bokampers in Miramar to watch the games. Hardrock to chill and gamble. Wait they didn't have all that years ago, no wonder why I like it up there now. ha ha.

Miami is always going to have the concerts and different activities, but some parts of Miami is like going into a third world country like Cuba. I don't know. The South Americans seem more classier to me.
source

Do you see the above, you say and I quote "SOME PARTS", so from the beginning, you nor I were talking about the entirety of Miami, but just some parts of Miami, which you find objectionable, which is fine.

Here is my response:

Quote:
Everyone has their preferences, to each their own I guess. As fro the parts of Miami that are like "going into a third world country", I am assuming you are referring to western parts of Dade County. I avoid those places like it was the plague. Furthest west I try to venture is Coral Gables (downtown), other than that, it is dead to me. I like the East side though, wouldn't live anywhere else in Florida.
source

This is me acknowledging that you are right, some PARTS of Miami do suck, and I prefer the east side of Miami. So again, we are not talking about Miami in its entirety, just certain SECTIONS.

Ok, now here is where we really start to put a fine point on the topic, when you say:

Quote:
Definitely to each it's own. Outside of living in South Beach, North Miami Beach, and parts of Brickell. There is no real diversity in Miami anymore. I like seeing different cultures, not just primarily one. I've lived in Miami for years and saw the dramatic change. I like Miami for the events and festivities. Not to work and live anymore.
source

So, here YOU have named specific areas in the east that are diverse etc. again, we are not talking about Miami as a whole, but certain parts of Miami.

Now, we expand the areas in question, when I state:

Quote:
Tons of diversity in Coconut Grove, Edgewater, Midtown, Downtown, Downtown Coral Gables area. I live in the Grove and I see people from every walk of life and various ethnicities. You are just as likely to hear french in the Grove as you are to hear English or Spanish. Not sure where you lived in Miami, but I live on the east side and I am up and down the east side almost every week. So I am a little puzzled by this statement
source

Here is where I think we get into trouble. I notice that you are not familiar with the areas in question, and I question the soundness of your opinions. I think that is when your ego kicked in, and instead of acknowledging you don't know what your talking about, you start to wax idiotic as we will soon see.

Your next statement:

Quote:
Sorry I but I think you are exaggerating on the tons diversity part. I lived in the Grove when it was truly diverse. I think you confusing tourists as actual residents. Same can be said for other parts you mentioned to a point. Most of the jobs are going to be heavily Hispanic based also. I'm sure you are not hearing French at your job as you hear English either. Miami is a predominately Hispanic city at this point. I don't think you can put tourist heavy areas apart of the equation. They come and go.

I know you are the "King of NY, but refuses to move back" LOL but you are off about the tons of diversity in Miami. If you are talking early 2000's and back I would tend to agree. In this point in time, nah. Broward has that topped by far at this point of time. In West Miramar you are going to see white, black, West Indian, Indian, Hispanic, and to my recent surprise Asian. The difference is they live there
source

This entire post is comical, considering I am in these areas at least once a week. I have friends who range from African to European living in these areas. I walk through these areas and I see the diversity. My wife also has friends living in these areas. So we see it first hand. You on the other hand don't live on the east side of Miami. I am starting to even doubt you lived in the Grove, given your incompetent statements on the area. What is also interesting to note is you acknowledge that Coconut Grove was diverse in 2000 but magically, I guess after you left the diversity ended? How would you know that given the fact you no longer live in the Grove, yet I DO. PS my job requires that EVERYONE communicates in English. It is very rare I hear Spanish over here. But again, just another sign you don't know what you're talking about.

Also, it is important to note, it is at this point in the conversation that we start to see you attempting to steer the conversation away from the topic at hand, which is discussing the neighborhoods on the east side of Miami, as opposed to trying to speak in generalities. I assume that is because you can not intelligent speak on these areas. The typical bait and switch routine. Instead of providing facts, you also try to throw in silly, none existent scenarios like "im sure you are seeing tourist" lol or the oddly worded statements concerning the languages I hear at my job (which is 100% English). If you want to debate someone, work on your reading comprehension, and learn to follow the conversation. Also, don't try and deflect by bringing up none essential statements like "I know you are the king of NY" it makes you look pity and shows your feelings were hurt, hence the multitude of non-essential information you throw out there, to try and hep your bruised ego.

PS

Since when do tourist walk their dogs and take them to the dog park in the Grove, have their kids enrolled in Public Schools, or show up for Coconut Grove village meetings? LOL

Now, here is where we see the argument from place of authority plea on your part:

Quote:
Really I'm willing to bet that I've lived in Miami way longer than you. It's just that "NY Know it all attitude" that keeps you from comprehending. I think nobody will disagree that Miami is primarily a Hispanic city at this point. So because you son goes to school with a few different ethnities that do not take up the majority of the population of the Grove it's diverse? That's great logic you have.
source

Here is the problem with your utterly irrational argument. It does not matter how long you have lived in a city. Unless you have spent ample time LIVING and spending time in each part of the city, your opinion means close to nothing, as it relates to each area of the city. The fact is, you don't seem to know the East side of Miami very well. Which leads me to believe you must have lived out west some where and want to attribute your miserable time there to the entire city, and that just doesn't work. I lived in Broward for a long time, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about Coral Springs, Weston or Light House Pointe for example. I never lived in those areas, spent little to no time there, and anything I would share would be based purely on what others have told me or what I gleamed driving by.

As for "great logic", again, comical. We start off talking about the various AREAS or PARTS of Miami. To deflect from your inability to intelligently discuss the topic, you try and shift to speaking in generalities, trying to besmirch my character by bringing up totally irrelevant none sense by calling me "king of NY" and attempting to bring up the fact I love NY yet live in Miami, which again doesn't work because I have said time and time again on this form, I actually like Miami, so that doesn't work. Not sure how things work in your imagination, but people can like more than one place. Doesn't mean they have to live in all of them. Come on, think! Anyway, your entire conversation is the definition of poor logic.

I think we have established one thing, you don't know what your talking about, and debating with you is a pointless endeavor.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Yes, I am full of bs assumptions.

I am also drawing from concurrent experience in Atlanta and NY. The inherent problem is with the grading system. There is a wider than expected variance within A rated schools. Individual and specific rankings, test scores and funding are a better indicator but, of course, these are utilized to determine an A or B, etc.. ranking. As important as the strengths of the school are how consistent they are in each area. Some have major gaps which could negatively affect your child and his or her experience but the school may still be able to achieve an A rating.

So we are clear specifically regarding CG HS, it fares very well with its many programs and scores so there is nothing at all wrong with it. Nothing. However, I believe there are better choices for certain reasons.

Financial.
I see what your saying, but test scores are provided in the school assessments on the Miami Dade website, it is more than easy to figure out what is going on in any given school. I also must say, NYC, although it has some stellar schools, mostly lottery based, the vast majority in schools in the city are not good at all, not by a long shot, and this I do speak from, from experience. Hell, I remember not even 8 years ago, some schools didn't even have computers for administration. everything was done by paper, like it was done when I was growing up, and I am in my 40s. I had a few friends who were teachers in the city, and I recall discussing this with them.

Like I said though, I agree with some things you say, and I in no way think Miami is the best of the best. It has its problems, that is for sure. My love for Miami is strictly concentrated to the east side of the city, and even that has its issues, but they are issues I can bare. Just as living in NYC comes with issues, as you well know. I guess it just boils down to what you consider to be personal priorities in terms of quality of life, and what you are willing to put up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami