Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 09:54 PM

515 posts, read 624,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
He went to the Tamiami Publix. Let's review Tamiami's demographics:

Tamiami CDP QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2010 ....... 92.7%
White alone, not Hispanic or Latino,...... 6.2%
Black or African American alone, ..........1.3%
Foreign born persons, percent, ............66.1%
Language other than English spoken at home, 94.3%

What do you think it's the smartest business decision? To Accomodate a customer who is not even from the area, who most likely was not gonna be a repeat customer anyway or should they accomodate the 94.3 % who speak Spanish at home? I think those people from Publix are smart enough to figure what is gonna keep that store opened, sales.

I had not thought about writing to Publix and their facebook page because what I experienced over the weekend is not new. It happens more often than not to non-hispanics in Miami from supermarkets, drug stores and gas stations to restaurants.

Sugar Ray, is correct, in that I am the lone exception now and it is better for Publix from a business perspective to hire someone with zero English skills than someone who may only be partially fluent in Spanish.

However, to the bakery woman's comment that I must not be from here and Sugar Ray's assertion as well for any other non-hispanic shopper in that area, ironically, I am actually from Miami. I am the native Floridian and Miami born and raised resident who now must not be from here to the foriegner who has only known Miami as a strickly hispanic enclave.

Obviously, I did leave and now only visit but could I have really stayed? If I grew up with large pockets of Miami where not knowing Spanish was not a problem should I have to spend the rest of my life apologizing or excusing myself for not knowing Spanish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 09:56 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
I had not thought about writing to Publix and their facebook page because what I experienced over the weekend is not new. It happens more often than not to non-hispanics in Miami from supermarkets, drug stores and gas stations to restaurants.

Sugar Ray, is correct, in that I am the lone exception now and it is better for Publix from a business perspective to hire someone with zero English skills than someone who may only be partially fluent in Spanish.

However, to the bakery woman's comment that I must not be from here and Sugar Ray's assertion as well for any other non-hispanic shopper in that area, ironically, I am actually from Miami. I am the native Floridian and Miami born and raised resident who now must not be from here to the foriegner who has only known Miami as a strickly hispanic enclave.

Obviously, I did leave and now only visit but could I have really stayed? If I grew up with large pockets of Miami where not knowing Spanish was not a problem should I have to spend the rest of my life apologizing or excusing myself for not knowing Spanish?
Why don't you learn some Spanish?---it's fun.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Why wouldn't you say the same of the customers? -- that they at least be able to make simple requests, and pleasantries in Spanish? I'm looking at a job in Miami, and already taking on-line lessons to brush up on my Spanish. It's to my benefit.
Yes, why not same the same thing to the customers and native residents?

If the Domincan Republic, Puerto Rico, Cuba or any other latin american country and government today decided to allow over 1 million or more needy Haitians into their towns, how would that be recieved from its residents?

How many coastal communities or large cities would deal well with a sudden explosion in French music, language and Haitian customs surrounding them. Would Colombians all of a sudden graciously learn French because the new Haitian residents told them they should learn it?

Would Puerto Ricans be happy seeing their old neighborhoods erecting business signs in French and appreciate having trouble ordering food in their own supermarkets in their native tongue for the very people that they opened up their borders for and took them in when they needed help?

How many born and raised residents would feel that it was to their benefit to find the time to learn this new language and make pleasantries in French to their new Haitain neighbors who began to push for the French language in every facet of society?

If you think white non-hispanics in the country are racist, how bad would it get in these countries under the same scenario?

Old 05-12-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Why don't you learn some Spanish?---it's fun.
See response above. It is not fun when it is forced upon you. It's a totally different perspective to come from the outside after the situation has already been established. If I had stayed I would have learned but it would not have been fun.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, why not same the same thing to the customers and native residents?

If the Domincan Republic, Puerto Rico, Cuba or any other latin american country and government today decided to allow over 1 million or more needy Haitians into their towns, how would that be recieved from its residents?

How many coastal communities or large cities would deal well with a sudden explosion in French music, language and Haitian customs surrounding them. Would Colombians all of a sudden graciously learn French because the new Haitian residents told them they should learn it?

Would Puerto Ricans be happy seeing their old neighborhoods erecting business signs in French and appreciate having trouble ordering food in their own supermarkets in their native tongue for the very people that they opened up their borders for and took them in when they needed help?

How many born and raised residents would feel that it was to their benefit to find the time to learn this new language and make pleasantries in French to their new Haitain neighbors who began to push for the French language in every facet of society?

If you think white non-hispanics in the country are racist, how bad would it get in these countries under the same scenario?
I don't think you need to learn a lot of a language to be able to function at a grocery store level. Basically some numbers, the names of basic foodstuffs, and the question "Where is" Donde es?

Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
See response above. It is not fun when it is forced upon you. It's a totally different perspective to come from the outside after the situation has already been established. If I had stayed I would have learned but it would not have been fun.
It would not have been fun because of your attitude, because learning a new language is fun if you like learning, which I do. You can take a few 20 minute segments on spanish on Youtube, and function pretty well at a store. Probably three segments would be needed --- an hour of your life. Instead of getting all huffy about it, why not enjoy different cultures and the opportunity to interact with people who speak different languages?

Old 05-12-2014, 10:56 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Im not so sure about relations in texas. I was sitting at a bar in downtown san antonio and the bartender started with the mexican jokes. i dont think everybody holds the mexican folks in very high regard.
Oh no, one night in Texas with a few Mexican jokes and we need to call the racism police!

Racial tensions are non-existant in comparison to places like Miami and even Chicago. Mexicans in Texas speak English by default, work hard, pay taxes, and enjoy pick-up trucks, country music and whiskey as much as any rural redneck. The rednecks here have more in common with their Mexican neighbors than they do with a fellow gringo like me who happens to be from the big city up north.

Hispanics in Miami made no attempt to assimilate whatsoever, so dont be surprised if white people, as well as African-Americans (Miami's black flight trend comes to mind),resent the city's population for it. Luckily, Miami's white flight is starting to slowly reverse with all the renovation north of downtown, as well as 3rd and 4th geneneration Latinos surging preference for English, this issue can finally be brought to the forefront sometime in the near future.

Last edited by HumboldtParkShiner; 05-12-2014 at 11:07 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 01:53 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
Quote:
I don't think you need to learn a lot of a language to be able to function at a grocery store level. Basically some numbers, the names of basic foodstuffs, and the question "Where is" Donde es?
So why is the burden of learning these basic things in another language put upon the cutomer and not the employee who is being paid to serve the customer?? This is the attitude that makes people see Miami in a very bad light. The attitude has become completely backwards. If it's so simple for non-Spanish speakers to learn a few words to be able to comunicate in a grocery store, it is just as simple for the Spanish speakers to learn those same words in English. And the responsibility belongs to the employee to be able to speak to the customer, not the other way around. I can't believe this concept is hard to understand or accept. It's pretty pathetic.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:57 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't you say the same of the customers? -- that they at least be able to make simple requests, and pleasantries in Spanish? I'm looking at a job in Miami, and already taking on-line lessons to brush up on my Spanish. It's to my benefit.
It shouldn't be a requirement of a customer in a grocery in the U.S. to be able to ask for an item and say pleasantries in a foreign language. It's great if they can, but they shouldn't have to.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
It would not have been fun because of your attitude, because learning a new language is fun if you like learning, which I do. You can take a few 20 minute segments on spanish on Youtube, and function pretty well at a store. Probably three segments would be needed --- an hour of your life. Instead of getting all huffy about it, why not enjoy different cultures and the opportunity to interact with people who speak different languages?

Yes, I like learning as well and find I typically do not have enough time for my varied interests. My mastery of Spanish is beyond an hours worth of effort and would take a firm commitment to become fluent.

Although pratical and useful, I have spent more time learning French and German as I travel often and find it more enjoyable to gain knowledge in those languages because it is for pleasure and exciting to further the enjoyment of my travels with my family. Nothing like visiting a foreign land and speaking the language to some extent!

Mastering a language so I do not feel isolated in supermarkets in my former hometown while visiting family is not just unfulfulling, it is somewhat sad. To an extent, it is as if a certain amount of my history has been erased.

Moreover, as it has been written, it is not just the language that has changed in Miami and sets it so apart from much of the US and also the rest of South Florida as well. It is the "Miami-fied" attitudes and culture that seems to bring out a certain distastefullness regardless of ethnicity, race or gender.

Complaining and getting huffy on this forum has been somewhat cathartic but will have an expiration point for me. In person I do not feel the need to be rude as people are people and typically as individuals I do not feel they are bad people. As a collective group though the behaviors grow tiresome. Through this forum's dialogue people can walk away to form their own opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami