Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 10:07 AM

564 posts, read 747,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Has the Mexican population grown? Of course. The funny thing is like I said before you will find more English speaking Mexicans before you will find more English speaking Cubans.
I have zero experience with the Mexican population but I know that the majority of the Cubans I've dealt with speaks English, and if they're second generation they all speak perfect English with no accent.

The only Cubans that don't speak English are old people (and even among those many do speak it, even if it's not perfect) or people that just got here recently.

You probably think Cubans are an homogeneous bunch. I've seen rich, poor, educated, uneducated, regular folks, etc.

Last edited by Winchupuata; 05-22-2014 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 10:09 AM

19 posts, read 21,947 times
I wish ALL northerners did what the OP did. He is a wise man.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:20 AM

683 posts, read 853,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-Cracker View Post
Naw just the New Yorkers and Bostonians. The rest of the Northerners are not really bad at all.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
Diversity is increasing among Hispanics in Florida - Florida Trend

I don't know how accurate these numbers are but this article puts Cubans as 29% of the hispanic population, mind you, that means they're an even lower percentage of the total population, which means Miami is very far from being Cuba, FL. I think you're just putting every Spanish speaking person together in the same group and calling them all Cubans. I agree that Miami is not super diverse in the sense that it's mostly hispanic, but I still see people from all corners of the earth here, several different euros, brazilians, jews, russians, blacks, "white americans", every south american nationality imaginable, etc., so it's not just Cubans here.
I don't really believe those numbers are accurate. If you are comparing it by the whole state than of course this would be true. In Miami alone, I can tell you that he population is over half. I've seen at 54% and this is not including the undocumented ones. Also it's not like most Cubans look or act like South Americans, so I definitely not grouping them together.

Also I never said it was just Cubans here. I just stated that they are the majority which is true. If you were given a city and come here without a problem of course it will be over populated no matter what race it is. It was an overall stupid decision by the great 'Ol USA.

The diversity you are talking about is minimal. You would have to subtract the South Beach area because that is mostly tourists. Overall it is not a diverse city.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
I have zero experience with the Mexican population but I know that the majority of the Cubans I've dealt with speaks English, and if they're second generation they all speak perfect English with no accent.

The only Cubans that don't speak English are old people (and even among those many do speak it, even if it's not perfect) or people that just got here recently.

You probably think Cubans are an homogeneous bunch. I've seen rich, poor, educated, uneducated, regular folks, etc.

I thought it was just LA, but even in Fellsmere, FL which has the highest Mexican population you can here English. It's old and young that don't speak English in Miami. Not to say that none speak it at all, but most prefer to just speak Spanish. Unless you are talking about the younger generation.

Also it's not just Cubans other spanish speaking natives follow suit because it's ok in Miami.

Last edited by deboinair; 05-22-2014 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-22-2014, 12:18 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
It's just annoying when you're in a walgreens and CVS and ask someone where something is located the emplyee will look at u with a blank stare, because he/she doesn't understand what you're asking for....

For example, in a Walgreens yesterday and I asked an employee "excuse me, do u know which aisle the earplugs are on?" She just looks at me.... I say "earplugs.... do u know where they are?".... continued blank stare then I begin pointing to my ears saying "ear plugs"..... she walks away....I finally ask the Pharmacist where the earplugs were and thankfully she understood what I was saying...

Also, getting my headlights changed in my car 2 weeks ago at pep boys. . I tried to ask which type of bulb I need to purchase for my make and model of my car....Guy couldn't answer the question because it was too detailed of a request.... had I said "light.....car.....where?" perhaps I would have gotten a response, but because I was asking what specific light I needed.... couldn't get an answer.

I do know some basic Spanish, so I attempt to communicate as best I can, but when im asking detail specific questions, English is the only way I know how to ask..... I can't get technical in Spanish with these ppl. I have no problem with Hispanics or Spanish, I just find it annoying when I am denied services or denied answers to my questions because I dont know an immigrant language.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:33 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-Cracker View Post
Quote:
Naw just the New Yorkers and Bostonians. The rest of the Northerners are not really bad at all.

liking anyone is a case by case thing.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:40 PM

564 posts, read 747,067 times
I have to say though that I agree if someone is moving to a certain place it should try to learn the language of the majority. Even though I speak Spanish it wouldn't even cross my mind to come here and not learn English, and I think every non-English speaker should try to learn English, both for their intellectual development and for professional and day-to-day practical reasons, and if they don't it's their loss as learning any new language is a worthwhile effort at any level.

With that said I do understand how certain people, usually from uneducated and poor backgrounds, will make no effort, both because they see no need and because it's not easy for them. Again, it's their loss, and I understand how experiences like OptimusPrime's can be very annoying, but overall in one's life it's still a minor nuisance.

I mean, I find Miami's horrendous and downright criminally stupid drivers are a bigger problem.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
liking anyone is a case by case thing.

Meh. I'm sorry but New Yorkers are the most annoying transplants IMO. If you did a poll I would love to make a gentleman's wager that they would be voted the most annoying. All the cities I've ever lived in. They are the only ones that have to work in "I'm from NY" or "It's like this in NY" without anybody ever asking. Are there cool ones? Maybe in NY, but for some reason when most get outside that NY bubble the arrogance, pretentiousness, and annoyance shoots out. Never experienced this from people from Connecticut, Philly, NJ, etc. Just NY. I put Boston just to be funny, their accents are just annoying. I have not encountered many Bostonians and the few I did weren't that bad.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:10 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
Quote:
Meh. I'm sorry but New Yorkers are the most annoying transplants IMO. If you did a poll I would love to make a gentleman's wager that they would be voted the most annoying. All the cities I've ever lived in. They are the only ones that have to work in "I'm from NY" or "It's like this in NY" without anybody ever asking. Are there cool ones? Maybe in NY, but for some reason when most get outside that NY bubble the arrogance, pretentiousness, and annoyance shoots out. Never experienced this from people from Connecticut, Philly, NJ, etc. Just NY. I put Boston just to be funny, their accents are just annoying. I have not encountered many Bostonians and the few I did weren't that bad.

Welp. To each is own. It's not every nyer's fault that all you
have come in contact with are only the jerks of ny lol, or
that you don't like every bostonian solely because you don't
like how they talk.

That's like saying you don't like rednecks or black southerners
only because they have a drawl. It's a little narrow-minded to
think that way and not keep an open mind, because every person
is an individual despite where they were born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami