Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 04:28 PM

683 posts, read 847,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
I agree. I don't really understand the Miami hate....99.9% of the country is pretty much NOT Miami so go find your own paradise if the city is not vibing with you. Miami (or any U.S. city for that matter) will never be like NYC.....NYC is in a league of its own so its ridiculous when people try to compare the two.

I personally don't like my hometown, but it works for most people living here otherwise it wouldn't be a prominent metro area. I plan on moving down to Miami b/c I feel it would be a better fit for my personality and the sort of lifestyle I want. Different strokes for everyone....
Anything popular is ALWAYS going to get hated on. I don't like the change Miami has gone through, but the events and getting out in the water is still fun. I take it you speak fluent Spanish. Living and visiting Miami is two different worlds. It's a different planet outside of SOBE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 08:06 PM

169 posts, read 308,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
I'm a single guy that lived and worked in Miami for a year and have returned back to NYC. I was making a nice 6 digit salary that went really far in the local economy, but I still didn't like it. Since I moved away from Miami, so many people have asked me why I didn't like it. Here's the reasons why:

1) Huge Cuban population. I like Cuban people, but their culture tends to isolate against outsiders. I never really felt welcome in Miami. I was never invited over anyone's house for a BBQ or party. I did get invited for a single happy hour and some sporting events where they needed people.

2) If I revealed that I was new to Miami, people never gave me locals advice. Instead, they distrusted me or isolated against me. I had to change my story to: "I live in Miami", in order to get people to open up me to me a little.

3) I lived in inland Miami, which is a totally different culture than Miami beach or South Beach. Anyone new to Miami should live in Miami Beach or South Beach or else they probably won't last (like me).

4) The further inland you go, the more aggressive drivers are and the more unfriendly people are. The less likely you'll get a "Hello" from strangers as you walk by.

5) People often ask me about the crime, but I didn't have any problems with crime. I was afraid of the general populace however. It's perfect legal to just buy a gun from Walmart and keep it in your glove compartment!

6) My female boss had a concealed carry license, so I decided to go check out the class. It was such a joke. Just how to hold a gun and aim it properly. No discussion on grey area situations like: "You are pumping gas at night and someone comes running at you. What do you do?". No discussion whatsoever. This made me even more afraid of the population.

6.5) I never saw a single car pulled over for speeding or other traffic violation the entire time I was there! I guess its supposed to be a self-policing state? Drivers were ultra aggressive since they could be with no fear from cops! (Inland Miami)

7) The heat in the summer is almost as bad as NYC's cold in the winter. I basically had to run into A/C from Jun - Aug.

8) I never understood the dating rules there. I knew I had to be super-aggressive in order to keep up with the other guys. Even after I got dates, I was under the impression that I had to text her every 4 hours or else she would lose interest. Half the women I talked to seemed to be dating as a means for living. It seemed to be understood that men pay for everything and buy expensive gifts for women.

9) Not much to do outside of the beach. Not many mountain hiking trails, no big broadway shows. Didn't seem to be bicycle friendly on the streets (Inland).

10) Most of the transient people that I made friends with eventually moved away. I made some deep friendships there that hurt when those people moved away. Maybe that's the reason why locals keep their distance??

Overall, I didn't hate Miami, it just wasn't for me. I met a lot of cool people there that I still keep in touch with. Obviously, I would have done things differently if I did it again. I would live in Miami Beach somewhere. I would limit myself to talking to tourists or other transient people. The beaches are great!! I really miss that part. I'm sure a whole bunch of locals will refute everything I'm saying with this or that example, but hey, this is just my honest opinion. Part of me really does miss Miami.

1) You probably lived in Hialeah.
2) You're a stranger invite you for what? We barely talk to neighbors, why open up to a new guy?
3) You didn't live in "inland Miami". Either you lived in the city of Miami or you lived in another city within miami-dade metro. I highly doubt you lived in the city of Miami.
4) What weird guy wants a "hello" from a stranger? Who dafuq talks to strangers? We don't care about strangers.
5) As for Crime; you didn't live in the city of Miami. Good enough.
Anyone in pretty much anyone in any state can buy a gun.
6) Complaining about weapons classes, people actually live in Miami need those weapons to protect. If some crazy person run at me while I'm strapped then of course he's getting shot. There's no need for that to be a question in a class.
6.5) That's because they too busy terrorizing us.
7) Summer's are supposed to be hot.
8) Miami women are just smart and prey on suckers. Like yourself apparently.
9) Agree'd. But if you're not from Miami you don't appreciate it, I miss my city like a muh right now.
10) Actually we just don't talk to strangers.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:52 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,308,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
Normal people in Europe like to mind their own business on the street and on public transportation.
rubbish,

I have family in London and in Hamburg. Stop generalizing.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:10 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,761,928 times
Quote:
I'm a single guy that lived and worked in Miami for a year and have returned back to NYC. I was making a nice 6 digit salary that went really far in the local economy, but I still didn't like it. Since I moved away from Miami, so many people have asked me why I didn't like it. Here's the reasons why:

1) Huge Cuban population. I like Cuban people, but their culture tends to isolate against outsiders. I never really felt welcome in Miami. I was never invited over anyone's house for a BBQ or party. I did get invited for a single happy hour and some sporting events where they needed people.

2) If I revealed that I was new to Miami, people never gave me locals advice. Instead, they distrusted me or isolated against me. I had to change my story to: "I live in Miami", in order to get people to open up me to me a little.

3) I lived in inland Miami, which is a totally different culture than Miami beach or South Beach. Anyone new to Miami should live in Miami Beach or South Beach or else they probably won't last (like me).

4) The further inland you go, the more aggressive drivers are and the more unfriendly people are. The less likely you'll get a "Hello" from strangers as you walk by.

5) People often ask me about the crime, but I didn't have any problems with crime. I was afraid of the general populace however. It's perfect legal to just buy a gun from Walmart and keep it in your glove compartment!

6) My female boss had a concealed carry license, so I decided to go check out the class. It was such a joke. Just how to hold a gun and aim it properly. No discussion on grey area situations like: "You are pumping gas at night and someone comes running at you. What do you do?". No discussion whatsoever. This made me even more afraid of the population.

6.5) I never saw a single car pulled over for speeding or other traffic violation the entire time I was there! I guess its supposed to be a self-policing state? Drivers were ultra aggressive since they could be with no fear from cops! (Inland Miami)

7) The heat in the summer is almost as bad as NYC's cold in the winter. I basically had to run into A/C from Jun - Aug.

8) I never understood the dating rules there. I knew I had to be super-aggressive in order to keep up with the other guys. Even after I got dates, I was under the impression that I had to text her every 4 hours or else she would lose interest. Half the women I talked to seemed to be dating as a means for living. It seemed to be understood that men pay for everything and buy expensive gifts for women.

9) Not much to do outside of the beach. Not many mountain hiking trails, no big broadway shows. Didn't seem to be bicycle friendly on the streets (Inland).

10) Most of the transient people that I made friends with eventually moved away. I made some deep friendships there that hurt when those people moved away. Maybe that's the reason why locals keep their distance??

Overall, I didn't hate Miami, it just wasn't for me. I met a lot of cool people there that I still keep in touch with. Obviously, I would have done things differently if I did it again. I would live in Miami Beach somewhere. I would limit myself to talking to tourists or other transient people. The beaches are great!! I really miss that part. I'm sure a whole bunch of locals will refute everything I'm saying with this or that example, but hey, this is just my honest opinion. Part of me really does miss Miami.
Here are the ones I think apply (for the most part) to most relos:
1. Large Cuban population - but I dont agree with the isolated part - i have so many close lifelong friends that are of Cuban descent - our politics and views may differ on some topics but isolated - not at all.
3. Yes.
4. Yes
5. Yes, but I dont see how this is bad.
7. yes.
8. Yes
9. Yes
10. Kind of.

Miami is Miami.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:52 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,908,107 times
Quote:

After this horrendous winter , summer should be a welcome sight and one doesn't have to shovel humidity.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:27 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,152,526 times
Yes, Miami is very Cuban, but they are very outgoing people.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:28 PM

471 posts, read 846,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
rubbish,

I have family in London and in Hamburg. Stop generalizing.
I am from Milan and NOONE dares talking to strangers on public transports or on the street. People have no time to waste in business cities. I consider Milan in that respect similar to other big finance hubs like London, Paris, etc.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Yes, Miami is very Cuban, but they are very outgoing people.
Plenty of Europeans. More so than in any other city in the US except for NY.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:09 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,792,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
Plenty of Europeans. More so than in any other city in the US except for NY.
But are the Europeans in Miami mainly tourists or residents? I think most are tourist while in New York they are part-time or full-time residents.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
But are the Europeans in Miami mainly tourists or residents? I think most are tourist while in New York they are part-time or full-time residents.
Residents or part time residents in addition to many tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami