Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 03:17 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
The part that stands out the most to me is running the A/C from June to August. Don't you do that in most of the U.S.? I've only turned off the A/C for a handful of days. Running 24/7/360 ish days a year in my house. The OP got off easy.
Actually, in many places in the U.S., at least the nights are cooler and one can open windows to let the coolness inside. Also, cool fronts do travel from west to east, even during the summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 05:32 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Actually, in many places in the U.S., at least the nights are cooler and one can open windows to let the coolness inside. Also, cool fronts do travel from west to east, even during the summers.
Maybe in the extreme north, but in the NE- NY, NJ, CT, etc. as well as in the middle of the country, the humidity will literally drench you, especially at night.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:34 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
The suburbs are usually a fairly unfriendly place no matter where you are. Where exactly did you live inland?

In NY (well, for me NJ) the air runs from the middle of June thru August, too, so I would say that's about equal. Honestly you need A/C in Miami from the end of May to the end of September/early October depending on the weather that year. That might seem like a lot to some people, but considering you get 7 months (mid October to mid May) of pretty much no A/C and no heat, I'd say that's better than 99% of the country.

While NYC undoubtedly has Miami beat when it comes to city life and all the amenities, IMO Miami is far more exciting. In NY everything is pretty much done. Yes, there's redevelopment and the great additions like dedicated bike lanes, but it's so crowded and so built up that nobody sees the details. People in NY are a number and anything new is overshadowed by the past.

As for hiking trails, Miami has plenty of them, but of course there are no mountains.
Most of my family lives in south Florida. Every time I visit the only exciting thing that seems to take place is partying. So when it comes to excitement you need to be more specific because not everyone is into partying.

I like Miami mainly because it has that exotic feel, has way better beaches then NYC. As far as women goes Miami looks better on tv because of the girls wearing sexy clothing but NYC has beautiful women to and women from all types of cultures, not just Cuban/white.

But overall I'm proud to say my family is extended from NYC to Miami.

Couldn't imagine seeing a family member in South Carolina.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonaproudmiamian View Post
Typical leftwing NYer who is scared of guns & was rejected by Miami girls..No problem. To each his own. U get your NYC with its frozen Hudson sewer & its taxes ,we get our Miami,with our Cubans,our guns & our girls......
How funny, usually New York dudes make a lot of new girl friends in Miami you should take a visit to south beach during Memorial Day lol.

Also I find it funny that you're judging someone who had a bad experience lol, you sound more angry then him.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Most of my family lives in south Florida. Every time I visit the only exciting thing that seems to take place is partying. So when it comes to excitement you need to be more specific because not everyone is into partying.
Apparently you're not looking very hard...

Old 03-22-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Apparently you're not looking very hard...
Nope I looked. Even drove my car down there. Please let me know because if I have to look hard then that isn't fun.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:29 PM

Name the category of things you're interested in. Shopping? Sports? Museums? Nature? Shows? Cooking/Dining? Design? Fashion? Real estate? Gambling? Working out? Wine/beer making?

Old 03-22-2014, 10:40 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,900,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I need to feel cool during the daytime too. I work from home. I lived in OR for a couple of years and remember 100+ degree temps in the summer and being soooo thankful that we had A/C. Some people didn't, like my sil, and it was awful. Of course, if you don't have to work and don't mind spending money on gas, you can escape the daytime heat by driving up to the mountains, but that's not always practical. Can't do that here.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:41 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post

I like Miami mainly because it has that exotic feel, has way better beaches then NYC. As far as women goes Miami looks better on tv because of the girls wearing sexy clothing but NYC has beautiful women to and women from all types of cultures, not just Cuban/white.

You think Miami is just Cuban people and white people?

Old 03-23-2014, 01:15 AM

67 posts, read 133,679 times
Yes we aren't exactly that open with outlanders, but I wouldn't say it's because of rudeness or flat out hatred. It just comes across as weird when a complete stranger wants to have a conversation in a setting where it's not really necessary. There's a bit of cynicism "ok...here's another scam artist trying to make a quick buck" or "So this is must be one of those crazies you see on the news"

Specifically with NY/Northeast types, I sort of view them the same way I've that people in Colorado view the new Californian visitors. Many times they go on about how things were where they came from and how everything is different. That's nice and all, but if that's the only thing you ever talk about then I have to wonder why you even came here in the first place. I have family in New York, so please don't think I'm some sort of xenophobe who hates outsiders.

"inland" is a very broad term. It can be Liberty City or it can be Weston for all we know!

As for the gun issue, I forget they even exist sometimes. And I live in the supposed ghetto hellhole that is "inland" near Hialeah. I'm more worried about some half-conscious soccer mom mowing me down with her range rover than I am about getting shot or threatened. It's not NYC-level regulation, but I wouldn't say it's the Wild West either. What Wal-Mart sells guns?!

I think you're greatly overthinking the dating culture. It's not some crazy latin machismo thing...If you've been led to believe that you need an expensive car and a lot of money to shower your girl with tons of gifts, then I think they're just taking advantage of you.

Anyways I wish you the best, OP. New York is certainly great in its own right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami