Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 03:11 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Then you don't know NYC very well. it is not uncommon for people who do not even know you to speak to you in NYC. I can not count the number of times I have been on the train or on the block and someone started speaking to me about any number of things. Normal, everyday people
I have also seen many people talking to themselves on the train... For some reason I always saw them on the number (4) or (5) between Bowling Green in Manhattan and Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 05:29 PM

683 posts, read 853,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
that miami city life was too rough for you, huh?

it be like that sometimes tho. that old saying if you
can make it in ny, you can make it anywhere does
not always blend everywhere, right? there are a lot of
weird vibes in other cities that you won't necessarily
find in nyc.
You have to understand that some of these the New Yorkers that move from New York can't handle it in some point of time. So they go to another place brag about how great the city is, but won't move back. Because they would be facing the problem that made them move in the first place. It's obvious that the OP is not one of them because he moved back.

Oh and don't let the tough talk fool you. A lot of them are beyond soft. Parts of Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx are not all bad. The real tough ones typically can't afford to move or just never want to period.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:41 PM

271 posts, read 384,352 times
Quote:
Yep, i agree 100%. I have a friend now who is in Kew Gardens and he pays 2 hundred more a month than more, for a place that is almost double the size of my current apartment. He doesn't have a car and has access to one of America's best cities. I also have family throughout Brooklyn who pay as much as me or less than me a month in rent and as you said they don't have the car, car insurance, maintenance etc.
In general I would think an apartment for a single guy in Brooklyn or Queens would be about 20% more
than something similar in South Florida ( I am more familiar with Broward than Dade). But do you
really want to live without a car. Its OK to get on the subway to get to work but going out with friends
at night and getting to Jersey, L.I. etc. is a PIA.

NY income tax is about 7-8% so that's $8000 a year on a $100K salary. Don't have good supermarkets like Publix and Walmart where prices are lower. Then there are the non financial reasons which are probably most important. I would opt for living in Florida and visiting NYC regularly.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:00 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
I find Europeans to be a lot more well mannered and civilized than most of the U.S. American counterpart, but only crazy people in Italy, France, etc initiate conversations with strangers.
Well the whole stereotyping thing says a lot in my opinion. funny you mention Italy and France, I have been told by friends who have visited Rome, Paris and Marseilles that those were the most unfriendly cities they have ever been in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron60 View Post
In general I would think an apartment for a single guy in Brooklyn or Queens would be about 20% more
than something similar in South Florida ( I am more familiar with Broward than Dade). But do you
really want to live without a car. Its OK to get on the subway to get to work but going out with friends
at night and getting to Jersey, L.I. etc. is a PIA.

NY income tax is about 7-8% so that's $8000 a year on a $100K salary. Don't have good supermarkets like Publix and Walmart where prices are lower. Then there are the non financial reasons which are probably most important. I would opt for living in Florida and visiting NYC regularly.
A lot of what you have said has more to do with you never having lived in NYC. Believe me, those are more figments of the imagination (minus the income tax) than reality. Some of the richest people in the world take NYC transit and it isn't a PIA for them or anyone else. What is so hard about walking to a train station, getting on and arriving at your destination? Its a pretty easy and painless process that 4.5 million people go through every day.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:11 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
If you can drive in Manhattan(Park Place) you can drive anywhere as I have been there and thought for sure a cab driver would run me over, it makes Miami driving seem sane, exciting place though. New Jersey Turnpike didn't seem bad as it felt like you were doling out toll fare every mile or so it kept traffic in check.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:19 PM

271 posts, read 384,352 times
Quote:
Well the whole stereotyping thing says a lot in my opinion. funny you mention Italy and France, I have been told by friends who have visited Rome, Paris and Marseilles that those were the most unfriendly cities they have ever been in.

A lot of what you have said has more to do with you never having lived in NYC. Believe me, those are more figments of the imagination (minus the income tax) than reality. Some of the richest people in the world take NYC transit and it isn't a PIA for them or anyone else. What is so hard about walking to a train station, getting on and arriving at your destination? Its a pretty easy and painless process that 4.5 million people go through every day.
I have lived in NYC for many many years. I have rented a number of apartments.
Yes very rich people take the subway and a lot of these people own cars too.
Manhattan residents unless they are very well off don't have a car.
Many in the other boroughs do own cars. Some use the MTA for work and their car for leisure.

It is not a PIA to take the train to work but that is normally the borough resident commuting
to work in an area where their is no parking usually Manhattan.
When a family is going out to visit grandma on the other side of Queens they use their car.
When a young guy takes a girl out he does not want to use the bus.
Public transportation is very good but not always the most comfortable option.
Cabs and car service are also used for transportation.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:43 AM

720 posts, read 920,160 times
Miami girls do not compare to NYC, far more diverse culture in NYC , you can go out meet a Hungarian girl or a Turkish, Polish, Asian girl within a few blocks, in Miami if you dont speak espanol forget it.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron60 View Post
I have lived in NYC for many many years. I have rented a number of apartments.
Yes very rich people take the subway and a lot of these people own cars too.
Manhattan residents unless they are very well off don't have a car.
Many in the other boroughs do own cars. Some use the MTA for work and their car for leisure.

It is not a PIA to take the train to work but that is normally the borough resident commuting
to work in an area where their is no parking usually Manhattan.
When a family is going out to visit grandma on the other side of Queens they use their car.
When a young guy takes a girl out he does not want to use the bus.
Public transportation is very good but not always the most comfortable option.
Cabs and car service are also used for transportation.
You don't seem to know NYC so well. I am from Brooklyn and i assure you, you are 100% wrong in terms of the train being a pain. The grandma thing you mentioned, unless the old woman is out in Rosedale or Forest Hills, where mass transit sucks, then there is no issue with hoping a train. People do it all the time.

To be honest, it makes no sense to own a car in certain parts of the city. Between the hassle and expense of parking and traffic, it would be silly. Only in certain parts of the city were mass transit isn't very good ie little train coverage, is car ownership sensible, like certain parts of Queens, Southern Parts and really westerly parts of Brooklyn and parts of the Bronx. If you know NYC as you claim you do, just read this article New Yorkers and Cars | NYCEDC and look at that map they have. You shooudl be able to recognize those areas that do not have good mass transit coverage and see that there is where you see car owenrshiop is very high. I have family and personal friends who have never left that city. Many of them do not even know how to drive. Also the whole street cleaning issue and parking in parts of Brooklyn would make owning a car a real hassle for me.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
If you can drive in Manhattan(Park Place) you can drive anywhere as I have been there and thought for sure a cab driver would run me over, it makes Miami driving seem sane, exciting place though. New Jersey Turnpike didn't seem bad as it felt like you were doling out toll fare every mile or so it kept traffic in check.
I remember I made the mistake of getting in a cab with a Russian driver. He was driving me from JFK to Flatbush in Brooklyn. This man drove in two lanes at once for much of the ride. I just closed my eyes and started praying, I thought for sure I was dead.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:01 PM

471 posts, read 851,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Miami girls do not compare to NYC, far more diverse culture in NYC , you can go out meet a Hungarian girl or a Turkish, Polish, Asian girl within a few blocks, in Miami if you dont speak espanol forget it.
Lies. Full of European women and Brazilian women in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami