Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,330 times

Advertisements

I'm 19 years old, I'm from New York City, and I plan on going to Miami Dade College next year! And I have a couple of questions?

Is South Beach really THAT expensive to live in?! I plan on being a bartender, so do you think that'll do it? Are there always many cheap apartments or rooms for rent? I'll defiantly get a roommate if needed.

Is South Beach really the party area? Like, is that really were all the wild parties are? And the sexy girls? And the hot guys?

Me being a New Yorker, would I stick out like a sore thumb? Would I fit in? Will I get along with the other Miamians? What are Miamians like?

What is the ethic make up of Miami (preferably South Beach) ?? . .I understand there are a lot of Latinos, specifically Cubans. Obviously me being from NYC, I'm very use to the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, but not necessarily Cubans. What are the Cubans like? Are there any Puerto Ricans & Dominicans? Is there a lot of white and black people? Meaning, is it an ethically mixed environment?

Lastly, overall do you think South Beach Miami is a good place for a hot young, careless, free spirited, crazy, party animal, young female to spend her college years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 02:33 PM

84 posts, read 146,021 times
Hey I'll attempt to answer your questions as well as possible.

First thing South Beach can be very expensive, however there are some buildings/apartments that are affordable. Being that you plan on being a bartender you would probably need a roomate.

As far as South Beach being a party area the answer is YES! However you will discover there are many other clubs outside of South Beach that are just as wild and crazy. You will meet more locals outside of South Beach.

Being a New Yorker will not make you stick out because they are plenty of New Yorkers everywhere here. The only thing we don't like are the obnoxious New Yorkers who act as if New York is the only city in the world that matters and its the center of the universe. But if you are cool and down to earth people wont have a problem with you and you wont have a problem meeting new friends.

As far as ethnic groups there will be a melting pot. Most people have a idea that Miami is just full of Cubans but I actually have more latino friends that are not cuban than the ones that are. Now we do have a large Cuban population but it is so much more than that. Almost every country in the Carribean and South/Central America is represented here. So you have will meet many different ethnicities.

Lastly if you are the way you describe yourself then South Beach will be heaven for you. Just remeber to keep your grades up. I know plenty who couldn't balance college and the party scene.

Good Luck!! You will love it

Old 04-08-2014, 07:11 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,641,389 times
lol, you're not really coming down to go to school. U just wanna live in south beach and party.

I mean.....moving all the way down here to go to Miami dade college? lol. Gee, such high aspirations for yourself.
I imagine you'll be a coked-up ex NYer in about 3 months and within a year you'll be moving back to NY addicted to xanex and cocaine.
Good luck.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:52 PM

7 posts, read 8,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
lol, you're not really coming down to go to school. U just wanna live in south beach and party.

I mean.....moving all the way down here to go to Miami dade college? lol. Gee, such high aspirations for yourself.
I imagine you'll be a coked-up ex NYer in about 3 months and within a year you'll be moving back to NY addicted to xanex and cocaine.
Good luck.
Eek, exactly my thoughts as I read the original post. 19 and looking to party, south beach will easily ruin you

Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,964,597 times
Don't fool yourself. You aren't coming down here to go to school. People don't move to Miami to go to MDC. If you are as great looking as you say maybe you can find some rich guys to support you. But maybe you should stay in NYC, get an education and mature a bit.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:41 PM

17,047 posts, read 21,715,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Don't fool yourself. You aren't coming down here to go to school. People don't move to Miami to go to MDC. If you are as great looking as you say maybe you can find some rich guys to support you. But maybe you should stay in NYC, get an education and mature a bit.

+1.....

Old 04-10-2014, 02:42 PM

17,047 posts, read 21,715,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

Good luck.
If she is cute, stripping will be a possibility when she realizes bartenders don't always make enough to pay the high costs of living.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:58 AM

17 posts, read 22,917 times
A studio apartment goes for like 600-700. No need to waste money on a car, fuel, plates, registration, insurance, parking because a car is not needed here. You can catch the beach bus for 25 cents or catch a cab. And Miami beach is relatively small and the south beach area is even smaller.

Miami dade college is the largest community college in the country, I believe.

Just some facts.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 AM

17 posts, read 22,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
If she is cute, stripping will be a possibility when she realizes bartenders don't always make enough to pay the high costs of living.
What high cost of living? 600-700 for a studio apartment. 100-200 for food? 50 for unlimited rides in metro rail, mover, bus and trolley and a little more if you catch a cab sometimes. How is that high cost of living? Unless I'm forgetting something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami