Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:20 PM

26 posts, read 156,705 times

Advertisements

Does Miami have a gang problem? Are there gangs in Miami? What impact does this have on the daily lives of Miami residents? What kind of gangs are in Miami?

The reason I ask is because unfortunately in my city there was a gang epidemic a few years ago and there still is one to a certain extent. I don't want to be in a city that is plagued with gangs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 08:30 PM

119 posts, read 249,101 times
As long as you stay out of the bad neighborhoods, (Carol City, Miami Gardens, Overtown, Liberty City, etc.) you won't actively notice a gang problem. At night you may encounter a little more shady behavior in some places in which case common sense would keep you out of trouble.

Overall it's not too bad, but again, it mainly depends where you live and whether or not you interact with the kind of people that gangbangers hang around.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,440 times
I agree with Chewie, it's not really prevalent outside of bad neighborhoods. Though, I could understand why some recent incidents (see the thread about gangs in West Kendall) would cause those who don't know the area as well to not have the right perspective.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,169 times
I had plenty of friends who grew up in Liberty City, OT etc. I've been to both places many times. My opin is no, there are not any real organized gangs of the LA sort. There certainly are small gangs of young men who are friends who like to fancy themselves as a gang, but as far as any real large organizations, I don't think so. Miami has more of a thug issue than a gang issue.

My friends from LC who were pretty much my best friends in MIA said and I quote: Liberty City doesn't have no gangs. people in LC don't put up with no gangs because LC is full of good religious people who will F*** you up". That's a quote from people who know.

Now are there CIA and Cuban political revolutionary organizations? Yes, but they aren't gang-banging on the street over a dimebag.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
most cities do not admit they have a gang problem. doing so affects tourism. organized crime in miami is a major problem.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:51 PM

216 posts, read 951,203 times
Not really a gang problem there, just organized crime is all.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:26 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
most cities do not admit they have a gang problem. doing so affects tourism. organized crime in miami is a major problem.
sorry to burst your bubble, we all know misery loves company but we don't have gang problem like Ganglifornia.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:04 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
And who are you to be so qualified on the subject?

Old 09-03-2010, 01:02 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I had plenty of friends who grew up in Liberty City, OT etc. I've been to both places many times. My opin is no, there are not any real organized gangs of the LA sort. There certainly are small gangs of young men who are friends who like to fancy themselves as a gang, but as far as any real large organizations, I don't think so. Miami has more of a thug issue than a gang issue.

My friends from LC who were pretty much my best friends in MIA said and I quote: Liberty City doesn't have no gangs. people in LC don't put up with no gangs because LC is full of good religious people who will F*** you up". That's a quote from people who know.

Now are there CIA and Cuban political revolutionary organizations? Yes, but they aren't gang-banging on the street over a dimebag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I agree with Chewie, it's not really prevalent outside of bad neighborhoods. Though, I could understand why some recent incidents (see the thread about gangs in West Kendall) would cause those who don't know the area as well to not have the right perspective.
these two...not really a gang problem.. just everybody likes to think they are a thug

Old 09-03-2010, 05:53 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,778 times
if you're not in LA or Chicago, or to a much smaller extent, NYC, large organized gangs do not really exist. What you will find instead though are swaths of scattered thugs, random little cliques and unorganized and smaller poser gangs that claim certain blocks or corners. That goes for anywhere, from Miami to New Orleans to DC to Detroit. LA and Chicago are really the only cities with a serious gang banging problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami