Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,897,831 times

Advertisements

I think wall to wall might still be popular up north. We have it in the bedrooms still. I hate tile, only have it in the bathrooms. Houses here do have much higher standards than in other places, but carpeting/tile isn't really a standard, but a preference. If you like wall to wall - get it. Nothing stopping you. Everyone's so concerned with what's "in." It's your home, you're going to live in it. Might as well be how YOU like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 PM

57 posts, read 68,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfapper View Post
homes in miami are built to much higher standards than los angeles.

virtually everything here is cbs (concrete block) instead of wood frame. anymost everyone uses floor tiles instead of carpeting. cheap asphalt roofing shingles are unheard of, tile or concrete is the norm.

this is how it's done in most of the world.

i don't understand why anyone would want carpeting? even when i lived in los angeles, hardwood/marble flooring was the only way to go.
This is so good to know. I plan to relocate from Argentina and here we use cbs, not wood. I was kind of worried because I thought that all houses in the States where made of wood, which I totally disliked.

FWIW, here as well, tile or wooden floors are seen as way better than carpet.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:49 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
If you DO do carpeting, I would strongly suggest you do NOT use any carpet padding, be it jute, waffle, foam, or otherwise. Just use glue-down low pile hotel carpeting and avoid shag carpeting. Using carpet padding in South Florida is just inviting expensive disaster. Waffle padding should NEVER be used by anyone anywhere. It'l turn a $1500 water damage into a $5000 water damage in an instant. The rivulets will cause the flooding to spread to other areas.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:45 PM

Do many people have flooding issues? It seems to be a regular occurrence going by the posts on here. I've lived here almost 40 years and the only time I've had a flooding problem was Hurricane Andrew in 1992. I guess it depends on where you live? I've lived in Westchester and Kendall and never have flooding problems, except like I said, Hurricane Andrew.
I remember putting down wood after Andrew and everyone saying how you can't have wood floors in Miami because of flooding. Seriously? If you like tile - great. But I wouldn't pick it just because of the flooding issue if I didn't like it. One flood in almost 40 years isn't worth living with flooring I don't like for that entire time.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:06 PM

Just the humidity alone will do in carpet and padding.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:21 PM

I guess I didn't have that problem either as the only time I open my windows is if it's cold and windy, maybe 3 or 4 days a year. My house feels really dry with the a/c on 24/7. I've been contemplating a humidifier for sleeping because it really bothers me then.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 PM

Did you mean to say that you want a humidifier to offset the dryness of the a/c or for those 4 days a year?

If the outside dewpoint is temperature is, say, 82 with a dewpoint of 73, I guarantee that if you cool your place to 65 degrees, your dew point will be at least 62 degrees. That's hardly dry. If you put a humidifier when the room is cooled down to a few degrees above the dewpoint, you're going to have condensation on the walls, floor, fabric and sheets and there will most likely be mildew. When you try to humidify a cold chilly environment, the walls just act like a magnet for that humidity instead of having it remaining in the air. You just can't have it both ways unfortunately..

Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 PM

If the outside temperature was 85 with a Santa Ana type dew point of 44 or something, then you could get away with humidifying the air somewhat at 60 some degrees. Your dew point cannot, however, exceed the inside ambient temperature, though, or you're gonna have a mess.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:09 PM

In the type of ambient humidity that Miami normally has, just cooling to 75, rather than 68 will increase the dew point and ambient humidity in the house. I would recommend setting it between 76 and 78 and using a box fan in conjunction with the a/c to cool the place. That way you can have the comfort of balmy cooling breeze.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:46 PM

I set the air to 71 or 72 at night and run the ceiling fan. That's when I feel my room is dry. Or dry for me. Right now it's 74 with 50% humidity. I have to check what it is when I go to sleep. I thought putting a humidifier in my bedroom might help. Would a box fan be better than a ceiling fan? I'd die of heat if I had to sleep in 76 to 78 temps. One word - menopause! I need it cold at night. Even during the day the highest I'll set the a/c is 75, usually 74.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami