Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 03:44 PM

174 posts, read 245,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Anyone that spends $400,000 on a house like thank needs to undergo a mental evaluation. Small lot, small house, original kitchen and bathrooms, nothing says luxury, breakfast squeezed in the kitchen, very blah outside, needs work throughout, no room to expand and build a pool, and the area is not one of the better areas of Coral Gables.

Coral Gables is one of the nicest areas but I would not spend that kind of money for a house like that. In my opinion the only way that I would consider a house in Coral Gables is if I was looking to spend 1 million + for a nice home. With $400,000 you can buy a much nicer home in Palmetto Bay or the Falls area and still be in a good area.
Thanks for the reference to Palmetto Bay. and the Falls area. I found Palmetto Bay on a map. Looks/sounds pretty good. I will take a look at that area. The only issue I'd have with that is IF I make the move I'd be working for my firm's office in Brickell. So Coral Gables has better proximity.

Where is the Falls area? Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 05:47 PM

67 posts, read 97,426 times
LA and OC are the two most overvalued housing markets in the nation. The median home costs 12 times the median income there.

In Miami, the median home is 3.5 times the median income.

That place you pointed out isn't anything special, nor was it a particularly good deal. Quite average, actually, the place is actually dumpy by Florida standards (although it's in an ok-ish 'hood).

Old 04-20-2014, 05:56 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking_Good View Post
Thanks for the reference to Palmetto Bay. and the Falls area. I found Palmetto Bay on a map. Looks/sounds pretty good. I will take a look at that area. The only issue I'd have with that is IF I make the move I'd be working for my firm's office in Brickell. So Coral Gables has better proximity.

Where is the Falls area? Thanks again.
If you have children Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay have better public schools than Coral Gables.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoivory View Post
LA and OC are the two most overvalued housing markets in the nation. The median home costs 12 times the median income there.

In Miami, the median home is 3.5 times the median income.

That place you pointed out isn't anything special, nor was it a particularly good deal. Quite average, actually, the place is actually dumpy by Florida standards (although it's in an ok-ish 'hood).
Just to be clear: in my view that house was dumpy by almost any standards. It needs works, etc. It was the price tag that caught my attention.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:03 AM

67 posts, read 97,426 times
Quote:
Just to be clear: in my view that house was dumpy by almost any standards. It needs works, etc. It was the price tag that caught my attention.
Like everyone said, there are a billion other options for that kind of money in South Florida.

Coming from LA your mind will be completely blown, especially when driving through these neighborhoods. For example, the few good areas out there cost a decent amount of coin: Bel Air, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, etc. Here, you can literally have the same quality of life for a tiny fraction of the cost.

Plus, nobody is on the california kumbaya nonsense, all the scumbags/undesirables/illegals you guys welcome with open arms aren't tolerated around here. At the end of the day we're still a Southern State, run by normal, sane people up north. So everything isn't in complete shambles, crime-ridden, trashy, etc., quality of life is simply outstanding.

What's $400k in LA these days? Some 900sqft. shack in a really bad part of LB?

Old 04-22-2014, 10:15 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Coral Gables is one of the nicest areas but I would not spend that kind of money for a house like that. In my opinion the only way that I would consider a house in Coral Gables is if I was looking to spend 1 million + for a nice home. With $400,000 you can buy a much nicer home in Palmetto Bay or the Falls area and still be in a good area.

True, my sister bought a large 4 br with large yard in Palmetto Bay for around $350k. But she has to drive 40+ minutes each way to go anywhere that's not a Winn Dixie, Home Depot, or a Target. Homestead is even cheaper and further out, though it's "close" to the Keys and the everglades, still that "close" is still a good 30 minutes - several hours depending on where exactly you want to go. Many people value their time over their square footage.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:44 AM

227 posts, read 437,900 times
Try Miami Springs or Spring Garden. You can have a bigger house in a nice neighborhood for the same price.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Like everyone said, there are a billion other options for that kind of money in South Florida.

Coming from LA your mind will be completely blown, especially when driving through these neighborhoods. For example, the few good areas out there cost a decent amount of coin: Bel Air, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, etc. Here, you can literally have the same quality of life for a tiny fraction of the cost.
The "few good" areas in the LA area you mention are among the most exclusive and expensive residential neighborhoods in the entire country. They are expensive for a reason...they are highly desirable and people with the means are willing to pay for it. But there are plenty of other middle class areas that are desirable. Granted they are more expensive than Miami.

To each their own, but to be quite frank, the majority of LA residents would view a move to Miami as a step down. Don't get me wrong..I like Miami and the real estate is clearly cheaper. No doubt about that.

Quote:
Plus, nobody is on the california kumbaya nonsense, all the scumbags/undesirables/illegals you guys welcome with open arms aren't tolerated around here. At the end of the day we're still a Southern State, run by normal, sane people up north. So everything isn't in complete shambles, crime-ridden, trashy, etc., quality of life is simply outstanding.
And of course there are absolutely no illegals or scumbags in Miami or So. Fla.

LA's homicide rate is LESS than Miami's...at both the city and county level. So let's keep a little perspective here.

With regard to Fla.'s "Southern State" status...for me there are many "southern" charms (music, food, hospitality, etc) but Southern + Politics = very, very bad in my view. So that is not a selling point for me.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMatthews View Post
Try Miami Springs or Spring Garden. You can have a bigger house in a nice neighborhood for the same price.
Thanks Thomas, i appreciate the suggestion.

How about Miami Shores? I know some of the surrounding areas are not so nice.

But what I like about what I have heard/read about it: it is not a cookie cutter suburb and it is centrally located. I am willing to give up square footage and lot size to gain proximity to the center and at least SOME character/charm.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:04 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
Quote:
Thanks Thomas, i appreciate the suggestion.

How about Miami Shores? I know some of the surrounding areas are not so nice.

But what I like about what I have heard/read about it: it is not a cookie cutter suburb and it is centrally located. I am willing to give up square footage and lot size to gain proximity to the center and at least SOME character/charm.
I'm a Miami Shores resident. Raised here since I was young. Its not as modern as other neighborhoods but it definitely has character. I live next to Biscayne Blvd. I love living here because its centrally located. I have 79th street or 125th to go to the beach, and I go to Haulover when i want to go to the beach. Midtown is only 10 min away south on Biscayne. Nobody tried to break in our house ever since i lived here *knocks on wood*. You got the soccer grounds and basketball courts in the middle. Majority here are diverse families. We got A schools, Miami Shores Elem and Doctors Charter (Magnet). Good option if you want to raise a family. Brickell is a 15 min drive on I-95. Downtown is less than 20 min away on US1. We got a Whole foods less than 2 miles away. Aventura Mall is 15 min away.I wouldn't live anywhere else. I'm close to everything within 15 minutes. Most important thing we don't get Kendall like traffic here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami