Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:49 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times

Advertisements

The best University in the State, BY FAR, is the University of Florida. The campus is large..the facilities broad, and the faculty impressive. They offer just about every academic major or interest there is....and much of their programs, and schools are highly ranked and nationally/internationally recognized.

The school however is isolated as it is in North Central Florida! Nonetheless there are over 45,000 students in Gainvesille so there is always ALOT of activity! Do your research and learn more about it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 05:13 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Jessemh431 posted before several months ago with similar questions. I really think she should check out Boca Raton: knowing what she is looking for, biotechnology at FAU while living in Boca may be useful, interesting, and pleasant.

Good luck!
I'm a guy, but it's okay. People always think I'm a girl on this site.

I think I'm gonna stick with FAU, UM, and USF.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,373 times
I've recently applied to transfer to the University of Miami. I'm a film major, and in my research, FSU has the top undergraduate film program in the state. It is very exclusive, however. I've heard mixed reactions to UCF (old equipment), USF (not "there" yet), and FSU (highly selective). Those are great schools, but the best overall candidate for me is UM.

Before somebody chimes in with the University of Florida talk, remember that they don't offer any film majors. I live in the Ocala area, and am bored of that of region, anyhow.

UM's School of Communications is still highly regarded, and getting industry experience is more likely with the steady flow of film & TV production done in Miami.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:43 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Miami University is in the State of Ohio,which I know nothing about their academia.The University of Miami is very expensive as it is a private university and has a very good law and medical school(Miller School of Medicine).

Old 11-08-2008, 06:18 PM

5 posts, read 20,231 times
I heard USC was one of the best universities in southern California! It also has a good football team Also why would you think it's in the ghetto I thought it was right next to downtown L.A. that's not ghetto at all.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:23 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaTheLatina View Post
I heard USC was one of the best universities in southern California! It also has a good football team Also why would you think it's in the ghetto I thought it was right next to downtown L.A. that's not ghetto at all.
USC is smack dab in the ghetto of LA... have you ever been there?

Old 11-09-2008, 11:56 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaTheLatina View Post
  1. It IS in the ghetto.
  2. It's not that close to downtown.
  3. Downtown is ghetto (well, some parts)

Old 02-08-2009, 01:19 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,578 times
Are there any special *tuition* programs which teachers (high school or community college) can take advantage of to make pursuing a PhD affordable at one of the Miami-area schools?

I can clear up misconceptions about USC's "ghetto" location, and, heck, why not in a Miami thread. OP--if you're still monitoring this board--you do not need to care about USC being in "the ghetto" because nobody walks in LA. You must have a car and with USC dorms, you get covered parking anyway. USC has a very well trained security force and the LAPD make their presence visible and known around USC. Local criminals/gangs avoid USC like the plague because any uptick in criminal activity--robbery, theft, vandalism--means law enforcement *heat*. You are more likely to be assaulted or raped by a drunken fraternity member than by a local gang member--the university has statistics that bare that out. Safety is not an issue with USC...affordability is the issue.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:11 AM

763 posts, read 3,531,709 times
The two best universities in Southern Florida/Miami are definitely FIU and the University of Miami. I'd really look into both of these, especially FIU, since it might surprise you. They have a good reputation, with growing rankings and selectivity every year, and it is much more affordable than UM. It's also a big university (4th-largest in Florida with over 39,000 students) so you have all the amenities of a traditional university within a big city. Also, FIU is way better than FAU, I'd look into UM and FIU before looking into FAU.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:48 PM

108 posts, read 415,828 times
I teach at UM and co-direct one of its undergraduate programs.

If you are interested in pre-professional biomedical studies, you will want to enroll at a school with excellent faculty and facilities in Arts and Sciences. You should enter either as an undeclared major in A&S, or as a science major in some life/chemical science program. No matter what major you select, you should build up a schedule plan for four years that has many science and math courses. You should also get to know the pre-med advisor right away and seek advice on building up a rich set of experiences in and out of class to suppor your interests. The Dental track is more or less the same as the Medical track. You should also develop a good relationship with your academic advisor and other faculty so they can write letters for you later. I recommend getting to know (well) at lest one professor per term. You'll learn a lot more that way and get much help in meeting your career goals later. Finally, make sure your euducation serves many possible outcomes and have Plans B and C in place in case you have a change in direction or need to reconsider your path for some reason.

Over 75% of the majors in my program are pre-med or pre-dent. Many, but not all, end up going to biomedical science professional programs (mostly Med, some Dent, some Pharm, few Ost, etc).

It is difficult, you have to be disciplined in your efforts, and you need to have a realistic view of your strengths AND weaknesses, but we turn out successful graduates every year. It is a great school and has many great programs and faculty. By all means check out many other programs and schools, visit if you can, and submit a strong (and competitive!) application.

Maybe I'll see you next fall!

DR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami