Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:01 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missakg View Post
I'll be working in dadeland. Coming from NYC, I think I have a pretty good grasp on how bad traffic can get, lol.
Just remember the further west you go the longer the commute so I really would consider east of 117 ave.

I lived pre Andrew when it wasn't so populated on 152 and Kendal drive in the courts of Kendall apartments. The commute in morning rush hour to the palmetto or close to dadeland was at least 45 mins. I can't even begin to think how bad it would be now! I think the best regular poster here to inform you on Kendal would be Valicky since she lives in west Kendall.

My last house was on 102 and miller and hubby's commute to the south Miami metro station was always 40 to 50 mins. The reason traffic is SO bad in the western suburbs is because all the major east bound streets are only two lanes and WITH multiple school zones!

If you are moving here in the summer then the traffic will seem like a breeze because same commute from old house to south Miami metro station was only a 10 to 15 min commute. Just a fair warning because it is equally as hard on the commute back home. Rush hour in the morning would be from 7 am to about 9 am and in the evening it would be 4:30 ish untill 7 pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 03:09 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,249 times
West Kendall commute is a bear if you have to travel during rush hours. It's not so terrible otherwise except for the distance and the horrible drivers. My husband and I have our own businesses so we don't have to do rush hour commutes. We would never be able to endure the mental torment of that!!!

My mom and dad live in Lakes of the Meadow and she did the morning commute for over 20 years to Brickell. I don't know how. I'd be in the loony bin for sure.

And yes, it's a big difference for the better when school's out. My mom could tell the exact day school started even though she had no kids in school.

Good you're coming in the summer so you can ease into whatever commute you're going to have.

Keep us posted as to how the move goes.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:09 PM

22 posts, read 36,003 times
Thanks Valicky and Cubanchic. You guys have def given us some things to talk about... The one thing I will say is that my work hours are 7am to 4pm so I MAY be able to beat the rush hours *fingers crossed* in any case I'm a FAR more patient driver than my fiance, so I may have to brace him for things to come, lol

Old 05-30-2014, 06:13 PM

37 posts, read 62,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post

Keep us posted as to how the move goes.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. @missakg I would love to hear what you think about Miami when you settle in.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamikid0 View Post
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. @missakg I would love to hear what you think about Miami when you settle in.
Same here because when you do move on down, we would LOVE to share some favorite restrurants haunts and local places that you both might enjoy. Along with guilty pleasures of fishing on a certain pier at the right time of the year to get you buckets load of Florida shrimp.... Being here for almost thirty plus years clues you in to hidden spots.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missakg View Post
Thanks Valicky and Cubanchic. You guys have def given us some things to talk about... The one thing I will say is that my work hours are 7am to 4pm so I MAY be able to beat the rush hours *fingers crossed* in any case I'm a FAR more patient driver than my fiance, so I may have to brace him for things to come, lol
Ok those hours are probably outside of the really bad times, it is also wise not to leave at a : 30ish mark in the morning because almost every one does... At 4 pm you are pre rush hour so you will make it home fairly soon via Miami standards.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:46 AM

22 posts, read 36,003 times
I will totes fill you guys in and I will def need those tips!! People keep saying I'll miss NYC or it's nothing like NYC, but I'm sure I'll settle in just fine. If I wanted NYC, I'd stay in NYC lol. I'll just have to adjust to the heat, traffic, and neighborhoods.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:29 AM

9,363 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaGoose View Post
^I usually consider West Kendall west of 107th avenue, but that's just my own definition haha.
Exactly. I usually consider ... Kendall .... different answer for each person

Officially, there is no such thing as Kendall, it is unincorporated Miami-Dade County, vaguely west of US1 and south of, what, South Miami or perhaps 56th Street, and north of, what, not too sure, and west to what, the swamp?

And if "Kendall", whatever that is, were to ever incorporate, it would probably do so in so many bits and pieces over a period of 30 years or longer.

Anyway, Miami, traditionally, is a place to bring wealth, not generate income, and to a large extent that is still the case, especially the coastal strip of the city and county, plus the beaches.

Having said, that, like almost everywhere else in the US, it is better to have your own business than a wage job, also taking advantage of the fact that Florida is a no state income tax state, but there are also a few other states with no state income tax. That is a big deal if you file a Schedule C (what's a Schedule C???).

But over the past 50 years or so, Miami is also a major destination for working class immigrants, legal or not, seeking a better life, like their predecessors from Europe to the northern states 150 and 100 years ago. Again, no different in that respect. Some have been or will become very successful, others won't. Again, no different in that respect.

Yes, Miami does not have an abundance of high paying wage jobs in advanced fields compared to such cities as New York and Chicago or even Dallas and Houston, but a lot of other cities in the US do not have an abundance of high paying wage jobs in advanced fields compared to such cities as New York and Chicago or even Dallas and Houston.

Traffic, rude people, blah, blah, blah.

Miami is the only major city on the US mainland Atlantic coast that offers warm temperatures all year round. And that is Miami's only single unique feature.

Last edited by bale002; 05-31-2014 at 07:06 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 09:23 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Exactly. I usually consider ... Kendall .... different answer for each person

Officially, there is no such thing as Kendall, it is unincorporated Miami-Dade County, vaguely west of US1 and south of, what, So?

And if "Kendall", whatever that is, were to ever incorporate, it would probably do so in so many bits and pieces over a period of 30 years or longer.uth Miami or perhaps 56th Street, and north of, what, not too sure, and west to what, the swamp

Anyway, Miami, traditionally, is a place to bring wealth, not generate income, and to a large extent that is still the case, especially the coastal strip of the city and county, plus the beaches.

Having said, that, like almost everywhere else in the US, it is better to have your own business than a wage job, also taking advantage of the fact that Florida is a no state income tax state, but there are also a few other states with no state income tax. That is a big deal if you file a Schedule C (what's a Schedule C???).

But over the past 50 years or so, Miami is also a major destination for working class immigrants, legal or not, seeking a better life, like their predecessors from Europe to the northern states 150 and 100 years ago. Again, no different in that respect. Some have been or will become very successful, others won't. Again, no different in that respect.

Yes, Miami does not have an abundance of high paying wage jobs in advanced fields compared to such cities as New York and Chicago or even Dallas and Houston, but a lot of other cities in the US do not have an abundance of high paying wage jobs in advanced fields compared to such cities as New York and Chicago or even Dallas and Houston.

Traffic, rude people, blah, blah, blah.

Miami is the only major city on the US mainland Atlantic coast that offers warm temperatures all year round. And that is Miami's only single unique feature.
So here is your officially whatever that is place, seems like you don't know it too well either as far as boundaries

https://www.google.com/#q=kendall+florida

Old 05-31-2014, 09:34 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Ok those hours are probably outside of the really bad times, it is also wise not to leave at a : 30ish mark in the morning because almost every one does... At 4 pm you are pre rush hour so you will make it home fairly soon via Miami standards.
Make it 3:15 pm and it might be a little sooner. I always found the Dolphin Expwy ( 836) a nightmare no matter when I got on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami