Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:41 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,670,915 times

Advertisements

I feel sorry for yet another person who gave up a middle class lifestyle to suffer the south Florida FIRE rat race. Well my advice is to move back to KY and leave south Floruda for the foreign investors who will lose everything in the next crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 11:54 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,920,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
I once was stuck for 1 hour between US1 and I-95, trying to drive out of Aventura. That's probably only 1/2 mile.
That's worse than my epic flood experience last summer, when basically all of Aventura was under water, that stretch along Ives Dairy took me 45 minutes. Of course, that was after an hour on I-95, so it's wasn't fun.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,023,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I feel sorry for yet another person who gave up a middle class lifestyle to suffer the south Florida FIRE rat race. Well my advice is to move back to KY and leave south Floruda for the foreign investors who will lose everything in the next crash.
Hahahahaha! That's funny!

Ellenmint, firstly, forget any kind of commute like that. It isn't that traffic is heavy, is that you ARE white knuckled and feel like you are fighting for your life. Add to the fact that a good percentage of Miami drivers are uninsured, it diminishes your quality of life greatly.

Living in Hialeah? Uh, no. Hialeah is the butt of everyone's jokes for a reason.

If you really want to work in Doral, live in Doral.

Your housing budget for the area is unrealistic.

Miami Beach 411 dot com is an excellent source of honest relocation advice.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:50 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,613,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Hahahahaha! That's funny!

Ellenmint, firstly, forget any kind of commute like that. It isn't that traffic is heavy, is that you ARE white knuckled and feel like you are fighting for your life. Add to the fact that a good percentage of Miami drivers are uninsured, it diminishes your quality of life greatly.

Living in Hialeah? Uh, no. Hialeah is the butt of everyone's jokes for a reason.

If you really want to work in Doral, live in Doral.

Your housing budget for the area is unrealistic.

Miami Beach 411 dot com is an excellent source of honest relocation advice.

I turned down the job, I don't want to live in Miami, it sounds awful from everything people write on these forums, and I don't like commuting, so, so much for that.

But just out of curiousity---what would have been a realistic budget for a simple one-bedroom in a safe area? People here are saying you can find something for $1100 or so, but everything I looked at on-line was much more, around $1500 on up.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Old 05-14-2014, 02:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 11,994,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Realistically, the drive really isn't all that doable.
95 is not reliable and you'll hit pockets of heavy traffic the entire way down and the entire way up again at the end of the day....

Turnpike may be a bit more reliable, but that'll cost u a pretty penny in tolls going both ways.
The turnpike backs up not infrequently too- and as you mention, for the privilege of paying those exhorbitant tolls, you can sit in traffic on the turnpike too.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,885,985 times
I think you made the right decision ellemint. The budget really depends on where you want to be. If you go cheaper, but still in a decent area, you'll probably have to commute which add to your budget anyway in gas and wear and tear on your vehicle. Not to mention your sanity will suffer greatly having to drive so much in this city.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:04 PM

14,862 posts, read 11,994,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Thanks. One issue is that I don't know the local neighborhoods at all. Looking at Google Maps it looked like Fonainebleau was the closest geographically to the workplace, but they also said they are moving their offices to 87th street which I'm not sure if that is the same area or not.
Probably NW 87th Avenue is what you mean? That's in the Doral area. There's a multi-business complex just north of NW 36th St and east of NW 87th Avenue ( also known as Galloway Rd).

If you're looking at apartments nearby- you mention Fountainbleu- here's a link to a complex called Fountainbleu Milton, located just north of Flagler around NW 2nd Street, and NW 97th Avenue- that'd be 10 blocks west of NW 87th Avenue. That complex would be fairly close, as those things go, to Doral, you might still run into some local traffic, but it's not a long distance.

http://www.apartments.com/Florida/Mi...-Milton/772608

Old 05-14-2014, 02:29 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,963,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I turned down the job, I don't want to live in Miami, it sounds awful from everything people write on these forums, and I don't like commuting, so, so much for that.

But just out of curiousity---what would have been a realistic budget for a simple one-bedroom in a safe area? People here are saying you can find something for $1100 or so, but everything I looked at on-line was much more, around $1500 on up.

Thanks for your input everyone!
$1200 you could find something safe, nice but simple.

It is not as bad as it seems. If you have a decent job and don't live an hour away from work Miami can be a nice place to live.

Would it be a huge change from living in Kentucky? YES, pretty much complete opposites.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:55 PM

250 posts, read 356,486 times
Yea, Miami is a great city, don't let all the negativity dissuade you from checking it out.

And yea, I'd say about 1,000 you can find a simple 1 bedroom in a safe area.
I'd say for about 1,200 you can find something simple in a safe AND visually attractive area.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:37 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,613,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Probably NW 87th Avenue is what you mean? That's in the Doral area. There's a multi-business complex just north of NW 36th St and east of NW 87th Avenue ( also known as Galloway Rd).

If you're looking at apartments nearby- you mention Fountainbleu- here's a link to a complex called Fountainbleu Milton, located just north of Flagler around NW 2nd Street, and NW 97th Avenue- that'd be 10 blocks west of NW 87th Avenue. That complex would be fairly close, as those things go, to Doral, you might still run into some local traffic, but it's not a long distance.

Fontainebleau Milton Apartments in Miami, FL | Apartments.com

thanks, but check out the reviews of that place. They are terrible!

Fontainebleau Milton Rental Apartments - Miami, FL, United States | Yelp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami