Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 01:43 PM

22 posts, read 35,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Are you sure about that decision? I wouldn't leave NY for Miami.
Quote:
Stay in NYC. When you come here all you will do is complain about how it's not like NY...
I'm not moving to FL for fun; I am am relocating for work. And to be frank, I'm not a fan of living in NYC so I'm sure my complaints and/or comparisons will be minimal. But thanks for your insights...

Quote:
Don't venture into homestead! That is really far and only a few areas that you would want to be in. Doral is nice but the commute would be at least 40 mins. Stick close to dadeland mall area if you can.
I did notice that Homestead swings from one side of the pendulum to the next so I'm treading lightly but near the Dadeland area everything seems either really sketchy or super expensive.

Quote:
Living as close to work as possible is as accurate as can be, especially in a neighborhood, the Dadeland Area, with every amenity imaginable within five minutes, 20 minutes at the most, including an intercontinental airport.
I definitely don't want a ridiculous commute. I currently walk to and from work, and drive for everything else up here. If I incl. Brickell, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, South Miami, and Dadeland in my search, hopefully that ameliorates that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 11:51 AM

Between the info I've received from C-D, friends, and realtors, it's looking like Kendall May be my best bet all around. I hear Kendall is nice and convenient. Does anyone know what the neighborhoods are like?

Old 05-26-2014, 04:36 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Don't rent at Four Quarters Habitats. You may have seen my other post about that, it is a total nightmare. Do come down first to secure a place in person (it is worth the price of the plane ticket since this is your life and sanity for the next year or more), and be sure to ask if the model apartment they show you is the same as the one you're getting - often it has none of the same features, but they won't mention that to you, you'll just find out when you move in. A number of people have mentioned good experiences in West Kendall, in the Hammocks. But that is way out - making it probably cheaper but also more remote. I don't know the prices right near the mall to comment on Dadeland.

Good luck!
Second this--had some friends live there and they had issues upon moving out.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:30 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,050 times
There are several threads on Kendall, check them out. It is nice, but boring. Nobody lives in Kendall for the location, they live in Kendall for the convenience. It is full of strip malls and busy intersections. It also has some nice parks and tasty restaurants. The commute can be slow heading East though because everyone else is going there too, and heading back West in the evening. It is VERY suburban, and very swampy - not beachy. There is almost no breeze since it's not by the ocean, so it's very hot. But it can also feel very homey - especially if that's all you can afford! You'll tend to get more square footage for the price, and even some outdoor space. But it's not great for a social life, and there's no "scene" there whatsoever. It's essentially a commuter town - banks, grocery store, box stores, take-out. All the essentials for family life after work, no frills.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
There are several threads on Kendall, check them out. It is nice, but boring. Nobody lives in Kendall for the location, they live in Kendall for the convenience. It is full of strip malls and busy intersections. It also has some nice parks and tasty restaurants. The commute can be slow heading East though because everyone else is going there too, and heading back West in the evening. It is VERY suburban, and very swampy - not beachy. There is almost no breeze since it's not by the ocean, so it's very hot. But it can also feel very homey - especially if that's all you can afford! You'll tend to get more square footage for the price, and even some outdoor space. But it's not great for a social life, and there's no "scene" there whatsoever. It's essentially a commuter town - banks, grocery store, box stores, take-out. All the essentials for family life after work, no frills.
that sounds exactly like what I'm looking for minus the traffic and the lack of breeze, but I guess you can't win em all plus that's to be expected. Convenience is my priority right now as I start to get settled. Once my fiancee arrives, we just want to be comfortable, and then after maybe about a year like for something more... But Kendall is sounding like a really great starter place, lol. Does is matter if it's east or west?

Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 PM

250 posts, read 358,700 times
Whats your budget? And how much space are you looking for?

Old 05-29-2014, 04:22 AM

Ideally we'd like to stay under $1300 but we're also looking for a 2/2 so I don't know how feasible that is in Kendall. The only thing we ask for is a washer/dryer, parking, and lots of closet space.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:28 AM

250 posts, read 358,700 times
It is feasible in Kendall, I know things go for that once in a while in my neighborhood in Kendall, but you'll have to do some searching...definitely doable though!

Old 05-30-2014, 03:01 AM

Good to know. It's just so hard doing an ongoing search remotely. You really never know if what you see online is legit but I've definitely stumbled onto what seem like good finds so far.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:03 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,050 times
You have a trade-off in the East vs. West decision:

West Kendall will tend to have more space for lower prices, very suburban feel, not so crowded, and I understand they have a nice and very large community park out there with some newer amenities. But the further out, the longer the commute.

The further East you move in Kendall, the more crowded and a little less suburban it gets, although it never gets fully urban by any means. But you'll get less space for the money, more traffic, and more cramped parking space for stores and things that you visit.

West Kendall is against the Everglades, so you may be dealing with more critters than East Kendall, but they will be in both. You'll be near the Fruit & Spice park, which is a highlight, and the end of the roads so a lot of nurseries and even some cowboy culture in the wide open space.

East Kendall is closer to Tropical Park and Dadeland Mall, which are highlights for that end. It is next to South Miami and US-1 - the main thoroughfare - so further East is more crowded and closer to all the stuff Miami is more known for, plus the beaches.

Keep in mind, any commute from Kendall to a beach is going to be a good 45 min. The closer you are to a highway heading East-West (not enough of them in Miami), the better your chances of it not being a full hour. Pretty much anywhere in Kendall is an easy commute to the airport though - even West Kendall probably won't take more than 35 min. From West Kendall you'll be tempted to take the Turnpike for part of your drives though instead of the Dolphin (826), so that would add tolls. Make sure to get a SunPass, which is the FL version of the NE's EZPass. Many chunks of highway in FL now do not have toll booths at all, and you can only pay via SunPass. But it's really cheap compared to NYC tolls - often not even $1 each way. And there are free options. In Miami, tolls are on the Turnpike (821) and I-95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami