Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:22 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
We frequently hear about how Cuban Miami is. I guess it's not surprising considering that majority of people residing in Miami were born in Cuba as opposed to being born in the US like other hispanic cities in the US. So I guess it brings me to the question of how American is Miami?

Is it difficult to live in Miami knowing english only? Do people celebrate Thanksgiving? Do children say the pledge of allegiance in schools? Is football (not soccer) the most popular sport? Do people sing the star spangled banner before games? Do people celebrate the 4th of July? Do people generally consider themselves American or just Cubans living in America?
All of America is a nation of immigrants so Cuban Americans, English Americans, Spanish, Jewish, Irish, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, African...if you are a citizen you are not only equally as American as any English monolingual American, you are part of the evolving transition of America and a living legacy of US culture. These Cuban Americans are embracing the system of capitalism and escaped Communism to create their own jobs in freedom and their story is a sequel to the pilgrims on the mayflower

Hence, Miami is an extremely American city as much so as Williamsburg, Plymouth Rock, Charleston, Philadelphia. Our founders did not restrict the opportunity of freedom to any particular language. The constitution speaks universally and was written in English for convenience sake. It could very well be written in Greek or Latin or Hebrew, as long as the judicial branch can "interpret the language of the constitution" be it the easy way "speaking the language it was written in" or the hardway "translating that text to interpret its meaning", there is no official language requirement to speak English or any other language, to be white or any other race, to be Catholic or any other religion. It's called freedom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 02:23 AM

683 posts, read 852,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Your information is very inaccurate and offensive.

Miami has a very large population of Latinos from everywhere. There are also a lot of non Hispanic South Americans.
Eeehhhhh! It's mostly Cuban. The spike in South Americans has risen rapidly in Broward. They are more susceptible to speak English also. Definitely other Hispanics in Miami, but it's definitely over populated by Cubans. I really don't understand why people are in denial with this. They come over with NO PROBLEM, so of course they are going to be the majority.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:48 AM

770 posts, read 1,797,149 times
Miami is American enough to lose to the San Antonio Spurs in the finals this year!! Go Spurs!!

Old 05-31-2014, 04:24 AM

249 posts, read 419,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMatthews View Post
It's the same thing I've been saying here since a lot of time, but in this forum there's some people who like to think that this is North Cuba or something like that...
"North Cuba" is one of the nicknames my friend says people call Miami, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Miami is American enough to lose to the San Antonio Spurs in the finals this year!! Go Spurs!!
Good luck with that

Old 05-31-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I know right. That happened last year.....oh wait.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:13 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,301,405 times
In my view, Miami is as American as New York 100-150 years ago, its relationship with Latin America is analogous to New York's relationship with Europe; the successes and language issues of Cuban-Americans and other Latin Americans are analogous to those of Italian-Americans and other certain European groups (e.g. Irish, Polish) of the time and over a period of three generations.

Forty or fifty years ago the expansion of certain businesses, like commercial warehousing and trucking, was inconceivable in Miami, now they are booming, along with so many others, emblematic of a coastal city that is a major nexus in global, or at least hemispheric, economic relationships.

There is no city on the US Atlantic coast like Miami (metro area) in terms of population and economic import until you reach the centuries-old northeast corridor from Washington to Boston.

Miami is among the top six coastal cities in the US that are major global gateways, which include Seattle, SF/Oakland, Los Angeles, New York/northern New Jersey, Washington/Norfolk, and Miami (excluding energy-oriented Gulf coastal cities).

To be sure, a lot could go wrong, but the best and most successful days of this great and typically American city may well lie ahead.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:00 AM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
I bet there were folks that could speak a little bit of Spanish there but simply were not going to put with the arrogant stupidity on that woman's behalf. If I would have been there I would have told her a thing or two myself!

You can now renew Driver Licenses online and for a lot longer period of time so I try that option.
I bet there were too! Just goes to show you, arrogance comes in all languages.

Online driver's licenses are the way to go, IMO. I think you still have to go to the DMV to get an initial Florida license ( from another state), or a one time deal to take all the documentation you need to verify your identity so your license can be used as a verified ID card. Once you've done that, you can renew it online.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:04 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Eeehhhhh! It's mostly Cuban. The spike in South Americans has risen rapidly in Broward. They are more susceptible to speak English also. Definitely other Hispanics in Miami, but it's definitely over populated by Cubans. I really don't understand why people are in denial with this. They come over with NO PROBLEM, so of course they are going to be the majority.
Have you been to most areas in Miami,Kendall,West Kendall,Doral,Sweetwater,etc...These areas and actually most of Miami are full of Colombians,Venezuelans,Argentinians,Nicaraguans,Pe ruvians,and so on pretty much every Latin American nation is here.I'm Cuban American,Cuban parents born in Miami and the only area I notice a true majority of Cubans is Westchester.Maybe 20 years ago Miami was mostly Cuban,today it doesn't feel that way.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:06 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Quote:
I think the Spurs should worry about getting into the Finals first..

Old 05-31-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
Have you been to most areas in Miami,Kendall,West Kendall,Doral,Sweetwater,etc...These areas and actually most of Miami are full of Colombians,Venezuelans,Argentinians,Nicaraguans,Pe ruvians,and so on pretty much every Latin American nation is here.I'm Cuban American,Cuban parents born in Miami and the only area I notice a true majority of Cubans is Westchester.Maybe 20 years ago Miami was mostly Cuban,today it doesn't feel that way.
Actually I have. Kendall used to be a hot spot for Colombians, not so much anymore. There is a reason why they moved the Colombian festival more north and why you can get better flights out fo FLL vs Miami to certain parts of South America. I actually work in Doral and yes there is a large Venezuelan towards the West. You go to Publix off of Park rd and welcome to Havanna. There are more Cubans at my job and no Venezuelans and three Colombians.

Overall it's mostly Cuban. You can have some spots that may have said races, but overall its a Cuban city. The population is over half. That is fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami