Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:23 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
LOL...no it's not. Maybe you're thinking about Carol City?

I guess all ghettos are the same, huh?
Actually young'n I'm still right. It's in the northern region, might want to check out a map next time, based upon my experience they really come in handy when you don't know what you're talking about.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami_dade/cities_neighborhoods/ (broken link)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty...ami%2C_Florida

Maybe you can consider it kinda central though, but whoever said south completely doesn't know what they're talking about... which is what you were referring to...

Last edited by PBCboy; 12-18-2007 at 01:33 PM..

Old 12-18-2007, 02:57 PM

17 posts, read 67,899 times
Unfortunately, I've been living here for 18 months now. I can safely say that from Miami to Aventura it's even more nasty than everyone says. It sucks here. We moved from Los Angeles and I honestly feel like Luke Wilson in Idiocracy.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmtk674 View Post
I can safely say that from Miami to Aventura it's even more nasty than everyone says.
Even Aventura itself?

Old 12-18-2007, 05:00 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Maybe you can consider it kinda central though, but whoever said south completely doesn't know what they're talking about... which is what you were referring to...
Uh yeah, I consider it central...being that it's right north of downtown and it takes 40 minutes of driving north (off the highway) to leave out of Miami-Dade into Broward .

Old 12-18-2007, 05:04 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
she said miami itself not dade county dude. of course your boss hasn't been a victim of crime, he lives in miami shores!!
Thank you.

I agree there is a big difference between where you live and where you regularly go to because of work, family, etc. In my commute to Miami Beach, I have to drive through 2 "rough patches" North Miami and Lemon City/Little Haiti. Yes, I've stopped for gas there too. I've been lucky...I've never been carjacked. But I dunno...if I drove a Mercedes or something, it would be a different story.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
takes 40 minutes of driving north (off the highway) to leave out of Miami-Dade into Broward .
You must take 441, either that, or your one of those people doing 35 in the left lane on 95 ! It hardly takes me 40 minutes to get to Metrozoo from Weston and I don't drive that fast.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:50 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
And right now it is not getting better, its still on a downward slide. I have said this many times (some are probably tired of reading it). But friend of mine that live in Santa Monica that grew up in Miami, would never move back to Miami. To them LA is a better place to live than Miami.

I have said this also before, it really depends on where you come from, on how you are going to like or dislike Miami. For some Miami will be a step up from where they come, for others Miami will be a step down. For the few people that I have known that have moved here in the last few years, Miami was step down. And so they have already left for many different reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmtk674 View Post
Unfortunately, I've been living here for 18 months now. I can safely say that from Miami to Aventura it's even more nasty than everyone says. It sucks here. We moved from Los Angeles and I honestly feel like Luke Wilson in Idiocracy.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,419 times
Wow! I'm getting scared from moving there now! I might take a job. Was thinking of living on Brickell Ave. I live in NYC now, and it's too gritty and cold and noisy for me.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:15 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,544 times
Hey all, another question. Is Palm Beach County any better than Miami. About how long would you say a commute would take from PB county to downtown Miami? Is it any safer? Cleaner? more affordable?

Old 12-18-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Hey all, another question. Is Palm Beach County any better than Miami. About how long would you say a commute would take from PB county to downtown Miami? Is it any safer? Cleaner? more affordable?
Try Broward before Palm Beach County purely because it's closer. If you worked in FTL/Broward, Palm Beach County might make more sense. Broward is much cleaner than Dade, the changes as soon as you cross the border are unbelievable. Seriously, cross the border, and you will notice that the streets have LED traffic lights and well lit signage, it (strangely) becomes more diverse and less segregated, and a bit less dirty. It's (generally) much more "typical". That being said, Hollywood, west Hallandle, and SE Broward in general are the "bad" parts of Broward, but these areas aren't atypical to the "bad" side of town you will find in any other city. Cities like west Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Cooper City, Davie, and Weston are commutable to Miami and are just like the suburbia you are accustomed to in any other city. In other words, Broward is just kind of "normal". It's economy is also mostly anchored by Fort Lauderdale.

Palm Beach County has an upscale feel, but it's got a lot of awkward wealth disparities and divides. People there also seem snobby. But it's very clean looking. Crime is a bit lower in Broward than Palm Beach, the former having a rate (just a tad) below the national average. Boca Raton is a great option if you can land a job in FTL.

Try about an hour to hour and a half from Boca Raton (south PBC) to downtown Miami. From Weston/Cooper City/SW Broward, about 45 minutes to an hour.

And also, this thread is loaded with crazy exaggerations about Miami. It's NOT as bad as it's made out to be. That being said it's gritty overall and high in crime in many parts for sure, but its not some third world African country or whatever people are trying to make it out to be, and there are plenty of decent places to locate. Palm Beach and Broward are definitely a lot cleaner though.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-18-2007 at 08:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami