Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 03:59 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
I don't think Miami will ever be like what Havana currently is but the classes will continue to grow apart. Miami will see a substantial decline in middle class residents due to an increasing cost of living. The rich population will continue to grow as Miami attracts all of the wealthy crud from other countries and the poor population will grow as more middle class residents fall behind.
Actually if insurance keeps going up and the fees upon fees then we will be leaving Miami but not to anyplace other then another state, or at least another county. Our plan is to keep the effcy we have for ourselves and rent to own the house to one of our sons, then move to what other place in FL,GA, NC TN which ever is more affordable, and just visit.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:23 PM

140 posts, read 434,465 times
This is one of the worst questions I have seen here and god knows there is a lot of them

Old 06-27-2014, 07:05 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintlaz1 View Post
This is one of the worst questions I have seen here and god knows there is a lot of them

I don't know why. It's a question that's come up many times since the failed Bay of Pigs invasion and the immigration of Cubans to the US in the mid to late 1960's. It's also a reasonable question since reportedly many of the Cuban immigrants who came to Miami during that time referred to themselves as "exiles", and they had plans to maintain their culture, traditions and language in Miami until such time as Castro was overthrown and they could return to Cuba and resume their lives there. They of course didn't anticipate that 50-some years later Castro ( one brother or another) would still be going strong in Cuba.

They probably also didn't anticipate that some of their peers, their children and grandchildren would adapt to life in the US, consider the US their home.

Why is it that you consider the question of Cubans in the US returning to Cuba in the event of the fall of Castro such a bad question?

Old 06-27-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't know why. It's a question that's come up many times since the failed Bay of Pigs invasion and the immigration of Cubans to the US in the mid to late 1960's. It's also a reasonable question since reportedly many of the Cuban immigrants who came to Miami during that time referred to themselves as "exiles", and they had plans to maintain their culture, traditions and language in Miami until such time as Castro was overthrown and they could return to Cuba and resume their lives there. They of course didn't anticipate that 50-some years later Castro ( one brother or another) would still be going strong in Cuba.

They probably also didn't anticipate that some of their peers, their children and grandchildren would adapt to life in the US, consider the US their home.

Why is it that you consider the question of Cubans in the US returning to Cuba in the event of the fall of Castro such a bad question?
It is a valid question, because it was so ingrained as the dream of my parents and grand parents. They hurt a lot because the way of life and thier own culture was uprooted and they had to begin again. for my family it was not so much a choice as it was that my dad lived or died situation. my dad survived five years In a prison camp and did a lot of time in the famous "box" so for our family when we finally got to leave it was no choice.

My dad actually fought for the way of life of Cuba before Castro and was held captive, btw the famous air force pilot that flew a plane from Cuba to US was our cousin.

I still have some pangs when gettin close when on a cruise ship to Jamaica, it is my homeland but never will be my home.

My parents gave up about in their 60's and now realize that dream was just that, and you could never come home again.

I suppose that all immigrants come to the same realizations after a while, like my Midwestern man when he visited his homeland in three generations and visited Chec Repubulic and his origins. he cried because this was his great grandfather's home but all he had known was the US.

It still reminded him of his origins and made him think of how far his own family had come.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:42 PM

683 posts, read 853,146 times
This is the most dumbest thread about Miami. The USA gave CUBANS MIAMI! Why the hell would they ever leave? The US is remedial also when it comes to taking care of their own. Bomb Iraq, but not Cuba when the conflicts started. smdh.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:48 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times
I hope not, I love Cuban Food and after I move to California I plan to return here occasionally for my fix...

Old 06-27-2014, 09:00 PM

471 posts, read 621,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowFlow View Post
Is Miami the Detroit of the future?Will the Cubans leave after dreaming for so long of going back one day What will happen when the revolution falls.Is obvious we wont lose all the Cuban population but how many.Can Miami experience a form of decay with empty properties as a result or will it just experience a demographic swift once again.Im sure there will be a boom in construction and developments in Cuba which could affect not only Miami but the caribbean in general,specially the many new constructions lately in Dominican Rep. What will Cuba open market will mean for Cuba and the inmediate sorroundings
Following the end of the Castro regime, Cuba will become a develop country and South Florida will receive a huge wave of Cuban immigrants.

South Florida is by far the best place to live in the USA.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
This is the most dumbest thread about Miami. The USA gave CUBANS MIAMI! Why the hell would they ever leave? The US is remedial also when it comes to taking care of their own. Bomb Iraq, but not Cuba when the conflicts started. smdh.
Little known fact, CUBANs helped in a big way to fund the US revolutionairy war BTW. So remember something we gave a lot to this country even before we came here.

gods it is folks like you that make me just want to POINT that out. Oh an another FACT, We were Americans for a brief period of time.. Yes Cuba was a American territory.

Damn.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
It is a valid question, because it was so ingrained as the dream of my parents and grand parents. They hurt a lot because the way of life and thier own culture was uprooted and they had to begin again. for my family it was not so much a choice as it was that my dad lived or died situation. my dad survived five years In a prison camp and did a lot of time in the famous "box" so for our family when we finally got to leave it was no choice.

My dad actually fought for the way of life of Cuba before Castro and was held captive, btw the famous air force pilot that flew a plane from Cuba to US was our cousin.

I still have some pangs when gettin close when on a cruise ship to Jamaica, it is my homeland but never will be my home.

My parents gave up about in their 60's and now realize that dream was just that, and you could never come home again.

I suppose that all immigrants come to the same realizations after a while, like my Midwestern man when he visited his homeland in three generations and visited Chec Repubulic and his origins. he cried because this was his great grandfather's home but all he had known was the US.

It still reminded him of his origins and made him think of how far his own family had come.
I can't even begin to count the number of Cuban folks I met over the years that told me the same thing ( or a close variation on it) that you have here.

Maybe it's the oldest of those who came to the US as exiles with the intention of returning to their homeland one day who still hold onto that dream....

But what is different, as I see it, about the immigrants who came from Europe. Asia, or other parts of the world when they were escaping persecution or tyranny in their own countries is that they realized when they first came that they couldn't go back, that there was nothing for them to return to- so their plans included from the outset adopting their new country, assimilating and becoming Americans, and using the opportunities and freedoms they had here to make a good life for themselves and their loved ones.

The Cubans have done the same thing over the decades, but the original Cubans who came after Castro took over their country didn't consider their move a permanent one, since they believed Castro wouldn't remain in power all that long, and they could return to their homeland, and resume their lives there. There's no way they could have anticipated Castro's regime still being in power so many years later.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
Following the end of the Castro regime, Cuba will become a develop country and South Florida will receive a huge wave of Cuban immigrants.

South Florida is by far the best place to live in the USA.
I don't know, what makes you think that Cuba wouldn't be the preferable place to live, compared with Miami, in that event?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami