Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 02:18 PM

21 posts, read 29,090 times

Advertisements

Instead of people like Jose Marti and Maximo Gomez(Who have no ties to and apparently harbored hostile sentiments toward America)why aren't there streets and/or parks named after and/or monuments in Miami of Cuban gentleman such as these who actually served in our military and fought for our country?

Julius Peter Garesché - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Federico Fernández Cavada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards,

Alex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 04:55 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
There are two simple reasons behind this.

The first is that sadly nobody knows who Julius Peter Garesche and Federico Fernandez Cavada were. People like names of well know figures.

The second is that they are dead. Julius Peter Garesche and Federico Fernandez Cavada cannot make political contributions or be a part of the corrupt political landscape of Miami-Dade County. They have nothing to offer. Politicians representing our area like to pay back favors by naming streets after their equally corrupt donors. Drive around, collect a bunch of names and then google them. You will be surprised how many have been embroiled in an investigation, plead guilt or were found guilty of something, have a DUI, or something else unfavorable connected to them.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:28 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokpikr999 View Post
Instead of people like Jose Marti and Maximo Gomez(Who have no ties to and apparently harbored hostile sentiments toward America)why aren't there streets and/or parks named after and/or monuments in Miami of Cuban gentleman such as these who actually served in our military and fought for our country?

Julius Peter Garesché - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Federico Fernández Cavada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards,

Alex.
Because Jose Marti and Maximo Gomez were Cuban, for Cuba, and lived only for Cuba, not for any other land, so they are the epitome of Cuban patriots.

The 2 people you mentioned, were Americans, whether they were born in Cuba or not, and devoted themselves to the U.S.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:31 AM

471 posts, read 621,383 times
I find hilarious that FIU's University Park campus was renamed as Modesto Maidique campus.

Maidique sounds like My dik.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Because Jose Marti and Maximo Gomez were Cuban, for Cuba, and lived only for Cuba, not for any other land, so they are the epitome of Cuban patriots.

The 2 people you mentioned, were Americans, whether they were born in Cuba or not, and devoted themselves to the U.S.
We are in the United States, not Cuba. I know that Miami has a very large Cuban population and many of them are rightfully proud of Marti and Gomez but the two Cubans that have been mention did more for this county and we should be grateful for that since the United States opened their doors to us. They fought on the union side and found against the confederacy and everything negative associated with them. If the confederacy would have won would the Cubans have been welcomed and allowed to exile here in Miami?

I think the problem is that most people are not even aware of who Cavada and Garesche were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
I find hilarious that FIU's University Park campus was renamed as Modesto Maidique campus.

Maidique sounds like My dik.
I am against roads and buildings being named after people that are still alive and can f things up if they haven't done so already.

Last edited by straight shooter; 06-28-2014 at 04:14 PM..

Old 06-28-2014, 04:09 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:

LOL, well, you sure wouldn't want to name American streets after Americans, would you? Not in Miami, anyway....

Old 06-28-2014, 04:14 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
There are two simple reasons behind this.

The first is that sadly nobody knows who Julius Peter Garesche and Federico Fernandez Cavada were. People like names of well know figures.

The second is that they are dead. Julius Peter Garesche and Federico Fernandez Cavada cannot make political contributions or be a part of the corrupt political landscape of Miami-Dade County. They have nothing to offer. Politicians representing our area like to pay back favors by naming streets after their equally corrupt donors. Drive around, collect a bunch of names and then google them. You will be surprised how many have been embroiled in an investigation, plead guilt or were found guilty of something, have a DUI, or something else unfavorable connected to them.
My personal favorite is "Brothers to the Rescue Martyrs" Avenue- which if I recall is what they named the stretch of SW 72nd Avenue from SW 72nd Street to maybe SW 56 Street to the north.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:46 PM

21 posts, read 29,090 times
Quote:
If the confederacy would have won would the Cubans have been welcomed and allowed to exile here in Miami?

Ahem...

Ambrosio José Gonzales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-28-2014, 08:06 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
If the confederacy would have won would the Cubans have been welcomed and allowed to exile here in Miami?

I think the problem is that most people are not even aware of who Cavada and Garesche were.

I am against roads and buildings being named after people that are still alive and can f things up if they haven't done so already.
A key point in all this is that the CIA and the U.S. government actually wanted immigrants from Cuba to come to the U.S. In the "fight" against Communism, Cuban immigrants became their pawns, and their best ally against Cuba. In fact, I could sit here and relay the entire history of how Cuban immigrants were a pawn (albeit willing) against Cuba, and it's also what the wet-foot-dry-foot laws are about.

If Cubans were allowed in the U.S., it's because of that, and not because the U.S. throws its doors wide open benevolently for immigrants throughout the world. What steps the U.S. does is always well thought out and has a motive. Whether or not it actually turns out well, is a whole different story.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
A key point in all this is that the CIA and the U.S. government actually wanted immigrants from Cuba to come to the U.S. In the "fight" against Communism, Cuban immigrants became their pawns, and their best ally against Cuba. In fact, I could sit here and relay the entire history of how Cuban immigrants were a pawn (albeit willing) against Cuba, and it's also what the wet-foot-dry-foot laws are about.

If Cubans were allowed in the U.S., it's because of that, and not because the U.S. throws its doors wide open benevolently for immigrants throughout the world. What steps the U.S. does is always well thought out and has a motive. Whether or not it actually turns out well, is a whole different story.
Spot on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami