Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 11:23 AM

604 posts, read 618,323 times

Advertisements

Building a gated community is a good idea in areas that are seen as unsafe, so you can try to isolate the price from the surroundings. I don't get why they build such condos in West Kendall or in Doral, safe areas. I do live in Doral but not gated.

If you don't have the deep pockets of Related, Codina or Lennar, then probably you should target the local middle class. I do stress the "local", since bigger investors target people who made their money elsewhere.

Considering the above points, probably you should try to think outside the box, or, in this case, inside the city. Miami real estate is like a doughnut. Developers focus on the border (coastline and suburbs) and not on the hole, being that huge area enclosed between SW8 street, I95, Le Jeune road and going north. But such "hole" has better access, public transportation than the suburbs, so i would not exclude it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 06:52 PM

67 posts, read 133,662 times
You know, I personally believe that gated communities are an abomination and a symptom of deep, deep troubles within a society. Gated communities are more common in tumultuous areas where instead of truly living as communities, people fortify themselves and willingly live in a bubble away from the outside. Gated communities absolutely unheard of in places like Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, which, last I checked, are actually rather nice places. Not to mention that having these gated communities and having people live behind these walls and often times with a maze between them and the outside world only further hurts the viability of public transportation expansions, which are quite important for seriously emerging metropolitan areas. The car-culture in Miami has problems that I'm sure are evident to a lot of us who live here.

That being said, people have the right to choose to live in these isolated and ideally safer communities. But for the long term vision of Miami's (and Florida's) growth, at some point there has to be more of a focus on people who aren't retirees who want McMansions and green golf courses, or just the tourists seeking rooms at the flashiest looking hotels.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:04 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Miami is all built out and the last thing we need is a another gated community, thank God we have a lots size restrictions in the Redlands or else that would have been gobbled up. There is a reason Brickell, downtown area is a condo canyon, you can only built up

We really can't support a whole heck of more folks in this city without major changes in transit, and addressing the water supply.
Exactly right, and I'm not so sure they need to encroach any more on the Everglades than they already have.

Not only does that encroachment interfere with the natural processes that contribute to the life of this "River of Grass", take over the habitat of the wildlife living there, those processes ( such as wildfires, occasional flooding) also jeopardizes the homes and businesses built too close to the Everglades.

Geez, I sound like Marjorie Stoneman Douglas there, don't I? But she had a point.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:26 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
Building a gated community is a good idea in areas that are seen as unsafe...
In practice few people want to buy property in unsafe 'hoods, and most gated communities end up in "nice" parts of town, save for some historic neighbourhoods like Coral Gables and Pinecrest which are already built out. That's why making the city safer is the best idea. There is huge potential in the neglected residential areas of North Miami and North Miami Beach, for example--just thinking in terms of proximity to the Beach alone, not to mention if/when the FEC commuter rail gets built.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:14 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
The only gated community I want to see is a jail full of corrupt bankers, politicians and developers.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:10 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Why do so many people seem to dislike gated communities? If they are well-planned, aren't they lovely paradises for the wealthy?

Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
Actually, the truly wealthy seem to prefer historic, non-gated, neighbourhoods near the bay front or on the Beach. If not that, then fancy condos. Think of Pinecrest, Old Cutler Road, Vizcaya, the Venetian Islands, South Pointe, and mid-Miami Beach. Perhaps the wealthy don't like being told by the HOA what they can and can't do with their property. There are exceptions, though, like Aventura Lakes--those are all $M homes on zero-line lots!!! However, I think gated communities are more of an upper-middle income thing. I suppose they do do project a kind of esteem that the truly wealthy have in individual properties: the exclusivity, the grand entrance way, the well-groomed appearance throughout, the pool deck, ect.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Actually, the truly wealthy seem to prefer historic, non-gated, neighbourhoods near the bay front or on the Beach. If not that, then fancy condos. Think of Pinecrest, Old Cutler Road, Vizcaya, the Venetian Islands, South Pointe, and mid-Miami Beach. Perhaps the wealthy don't like being told by the HOA what they can and can't do with their property. There are exceptions, though, like Aventura Lakes--those are all $M homes on zero-line lots!!! However, I think gated communities are more of an upper-middle income thing. I suppose they do do project a kind of esteem that the truly wealthy have in individual properties: the exclusivity, the grand entrance way, the well-groomed appearance throughout, the pool deck, ect.
Thank you for bringing this out, None of my financially successful friends would ever want to be in a gated community. Southwest Ranches and even horse country are filled with money and there is no HOA or gates. We like open spaces and individuality, not Mc Mansions crammed on lots with nonconforming zoning.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:55 AM

46 posts, read 113,724 times
Guys ,u disappoint me. A gated community is not ..Fort Bragg of .. Delta Force... It has a minimal security at the gate, sports courses,community pool.etc. It is the wave of the future..

Old 11-23-2014, 06:09 PM

577 posts, read 663,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonaproudmiamian View Post
I was thinking about areas like Homestead...Can a customer find a 1/8 acre lot in a gated community there for $20K..? I remember the movie "Glengarry Glenross". At that time ,1992,a "unit " cost $10k...I think by "unit "they meant 1/4 acre...
In Homestead, you can find a new construction, townhouse lot, not gated, but you have to pay more than $20k.

You have to go to the "hood" to find land around $20k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami