Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 05:17 AM

174 posts, read 255,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
not to belabor the point, but I have lived in Homestead since 1978. I know people who have a soft, southern accent whose families HAVE lived in the area for generations.
Homestead is the last place left where true Miami Southerners are today, but that is rapidly changing because they are moving out and northward thanks to all the illegals there today. Sad ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
Did the Mariel boat lift and Hurricane Andrew have major impacts, or did they just speed up the inevitable?
The MBL was the single largest negative event in Miami history. All those scumbag drug runner latinos and cartel animals killed thousands of innocent people including children, inflicted upon America their violent ways and ruined the Magic City forever. Andrew's impact made Broward what it is today-Ghetto, those illegals moved up to Broward. Around 1980 is when native local true Southerners began to leave Miami as we knew many fine families who left. Miami was a very clean, organized city and leaving your home unlocked at night was normal. People did not lock their doors in the 50s and 60s and crime was obsolete.

Sadly, today Miami is one big ugly, smelly, dirty, corrupt cesspool occupied by mostly poor and uneducated immigrants from 3rd world countries of Latin America.

Miami = 3rd world city in a 1st world country where the majority of people don't speak english.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:39 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Winter2001 View Post
Homestead is the last place left where true Miami Southerners are today, but that is rapidly changing because they are moving out and northward thanks to all the illegals there today. Sad ...
Actually many of the 'old Homesteaders' are dying. Their children and grandchildren have moved north (out of Florida) for better economic opportunities and just better lifestyles, education, etc. Homestead's population (middle class) has grown tremendously over the last 10 years.

I see you are in Montana. When was the last time you were in Homestead?

Old 07-17-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I see you are in Montana. When was the last time you were in Homestead?
About 10 years ago.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:38 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,200 times
I've seen the same Troll on countless forums saying exactly the same thing. A world vision obtained browsing Intener from a tenement house or trailer park.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:38 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Quote:
The MBL was the single largest negative event in Miami history. All those scumbag drug runner latinos and cartel animals killed thousands of innocent people including children, inflicted upon America their violent ways and ruined the Magic City forever. Andrew's impact made Broward what it is today-Ghetto, those illegals moved up to Broward. Around 1980 is when native local true Southerners began to leave Miami as we knew many fine families who left. Miami was a very clean, organized city and leaving your home unlocked at night was normal. People did not lock their doors in the 50s and 60s and crime was obsolete.

Sadly, today Miami is one big ugly, smelly, dirty, corrupt cesspool occupied by mostly poor and uneducated immigrants from 3rd world countries of Latin America.

Miami = 3rd world city in a 1st world country where the majority of people don't speak english.

> I see you are in Montana. When was the last time you were in Homestead?
> About 10 years ago.

You make very absolute posts about what Miami is like today for someone who has not even been here in 10 years. That would explain why those posts are not factual or correct in any way. The rise of Brickell and new construction everywhere, the cosmetic surgery and clubbing culture of Miami Beach, the high COL, the entertainment venue and Heat basketball bonanza, as well as the rise to reasonable prominence (for its location at the bottom of the nation far from anything else) of the University of Miami to #38 in the nation in the 2011 US News rankings (not to mention their astronomically lucrative place in college sports), all are very "first-world" and far from what you describe. But then, you haven't even been here for any of that and are still commenting as if you know for certain what it is today, apparently more than the people who actually live here NOW.

I am never one to defend Miami, or the state of FL, as perfect. But let's at least try to be accurate. This is a site for exchanging information about locales for the sake of visitors and people who want to move here, and it is not helpful to exchange information fabricated out of our heads that has nothing to do with the reality of millions of people who actually live here and know better.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
Great details, Starfish!

So did the Mariel boat lift and Hurricane Andrew have major impacts, or did they just speed up the inevitable?

The research I have done so far on SFL history has not brought me up to the more current events (I haven't gotten past the 60s yet), so all I have to go on before I get that far are the anecdotes of people I know who lived here then. I could only guess. But my guess would be that Southern culture was not a majority in Miami by the time either of these 2 events occurred, so their impact on that culture was not as profound. However, I would think that both certainly did hasten away a few of the remaining families who had Southern culture, perhaps dropping that number from 15 or 20% to maybe 10%. But again, that is just a guess based on stories I have heard from people who were local then. Even if those events hadn't happened, I don't think Miami would be a significantly more Southern city than it is today - the change had already taken place.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:24 PM

233 posts, read 344,659 times
I would guess that the bulk of the remaining southern culture in Miami is probably within the African American community. Thoughts?

Old 07-17-2014, 09:43 PM

We own a condo on BK. We were there about 6 months ago working on it. Yes, I now about Miami. My Grandpa was a Miami judge in the 1950s. We also co-own a house in Big Pine Key we rent out. Does this satisfy your over-jealous comments about Miami being the Wizard of Oz?

Old 07-18-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
We own a condo on BK. We were there about 6 months ago working on it. Yes, I now about Miami. My Grandpa was a Miami judge in the 1950s. We also co-own a house in Big Pine Key we rent out. Does this satisfy your over-jealous comments about Miami being the Wizard of Oz?
I have no interest in getting in a fight. But it is really confusing that you say such negative things about Miami, then say you haven't been in parts you're commenting on in 10 years, then berate other people for choosing to live here, and then say you have a current home here and another 100 miles away. You shouldn't be mad at people for being confused, because that seems like a whole lot of contradiction... I at least like it here, even if there are things I hate - I have no qualms about discussing my ambivalence about the area. But you seem to hate it here, and decry everyone else's choice to be here, and yet you have 2 homes, one in Miami and one not far from it. Just not how most people operate...

If I were you, I would think "life is short" - live in the place you love, leave the place you hate behind and never write or think about it again, and spend your time on what you actually enjoy. (That's why I moved to the Keys and only visit Miami a few times a month now for its better points.) We are not promised tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami