Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:59 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times

Advertisements

Florida is not the problem, it's the Miami attitude. I am not impressed with Miami_dade county at all. If all of that county disappeared, Florida would not suffer one bit, but actually do better. Miami Beach is no big deal, it is unique but too expensive for what is is. The rest of Florida holds a lot more promise than Miami-Dade county which is all but lost. There is a lot about Florida that I still love, but Miami-dade county is the cancer that has severely damaged our state. The economic fallout from its comming collapse will push the county and the city of Miami into bankruptcy again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 PM

40 posts, read 101,967 times
Beaches!!
Six months of decent weather and the other six...lots of heat plus humidity.
weather is ok as long we don't get hurricanes...

Old 12-20-2007, 08:34 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,625 times
What I love about Florida (South Florida in particular)

-the beaches. My mother lives 15 minutes away from the beach. When I became of driving age, it wasn't uncommon for me to drive to the beach just to watch the sun come up.
-the international flair. Where else in the Southeast is it not uncommon to eat arepas while at your college's basketball game?
-the weather, esp. in the winter. I didn't own more than one winter coat until I moved to Atlanta!

Old 12-21-2007, 07:24 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
So there are still a few things I like about South Florida (not much though). I love the wild quaker parrots that are in our area. I like the lush green plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvi03 View Post
I know, some people may have to dig deep since I have read ALL the gripe threads--- But, it just seems that people are so open to say what they hate and not what they like. Tell me what you still like/love about living in Florida?

Old 12-21-2007, 07:35 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Florida is not the problem, it's the Miami attitude. I am not impressed with Miami_dade county at all. If all of that county disappeared, Florida would not suffer one bit, but actually do better. There is a lot about Florida that I still love, but Miami-dade county is the cancer that has severely damaged our state.
While I basicly agree with you. Its not tied the dade-broward line anymore. The cancer has spread into several other areas. I'm literally ALL over florida in little towns (almost every weekend) and I hear stories from almost all of them how 'the people from miami came in and ruined our town'. No bs. School overcrowding, new housing/construction, language barriers, etc. Ive heard it all. So while this may be 'ground zero' its not nearly as simple to avoid as it seems.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:40 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
While I basicly agree with you. Its not tied the dade-broward line anymore. The cancer has spread into several other areas. I'm literally ALL over florida in little towns (almost every weekend) and I hear stories from almost all of them how 'the people from miami came in and ruined our town'. No bs. School overcrowding, new housing/construction, language barriers, etc. Ive heard it all. So while this may be 'ground zero' its not nearly as simple to avoid as it seems.
ANy good little towns that can be recommended based on your trips? Curious...

Old 12-21-2007, 08:47 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,063 times
I have heard various statistics and things I've heard from people over the years, but won't post them without finding some sort of proof of it. Basicly the towns you've heard people moving to, they are, in droves. St. Lucie, Port Charlotte, etc. Alot of the towns arent prepared for the growth and services and particularily schools are suffering. Id look into a town that seems to have adapted and embraced the growth.
I have several friends that moved from here to little town outside of Orlando (debarry, deltona, port orange, deland), and ALL have said the towns arent what they were just 3 or 4 years ago. (deltona, frightening). Some are looking to relocate again. Where they are is where I'm looking to move oddly enough. Some have had to come up with crazy building permit freezes and things to build infrastracture and schools to accomodate newcomers (deland) . This is of course, a foreign concept to us in miami-dade. Deland was included in a 'best place to live/raise kids' list. That was their downfall! The strangest one I heard was a little city up by Jax called neptune beach. They are basicly anti-change, and were all but freaked out by people moving in there, and came up with groth strategies to basicly try to stop it! It had effected their schools and roads to the point they did something about it. I can't say it was even people from down here, but likely some.
A joke I heard that I dont think has any merrit but is worth mentioning. I was talking to a realtor in Panama City beach, and she basicly said "we'd love to have you move in here, but tell you friends in Miami you moved to Tampa". I though that was pretty funny. From a realtor nonetheless. Her friend was offering me a job, so maybe I was excluded? My guess is she woudlnt have loved to have me move in there. hehe.
If you can adapt to small city life, I'd look for one nearish to a big city that offers you what you need for work/social interation. If you like big cities, then your choices are wide open. Im just getting to a point where my patience has been tried too many times and I need some space and a change. I can only imagine the small town my buddies 40 deep heavily latin family invaded in North Carolina. Hows that for change, on both sides. Basicly I can't recommend a town, they all have their good and their bad. How they cope and grow, and what they offer to you is what they should be judged on. I have been to tons of litle towns on the east coast, and panhandle that I consider super laid back and cool. And not a way in hell I'd move there due to no jobs! Don't take work for granted. I know several people that left thinking they would just find a job when they got there, rude awakening. Several have taken a while to get jobs, and have taken pay cuts. Thats why I limit my searching to around big cities. At least there is the option to driving into town, with everyone else, to get to work.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:04 AM

29 posts, read 25,233 times
Thx "gbugmiami" for the insight. The towns you mentioned, Port St Lucie and Port Charlotte dont interest me anyway really. I know PSL is going to change soon. It probably already is. The people that have lived there for yrs, are probably seeing a change a comin, and they will probably head northward.
Also, those towns areound Orlando that you mentioned, Deltona, Debary, Deland, and Port Orange.. not too sure abot any of those, even though I live in Orlando, but do not choose Deltona --- believe me on that one. It is all Spanish now (language barrier), crime, gangs, etc are going up, and it is not a good place to be in my opinion.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:15 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,647 times
the warm weather
the hot babes
not too conservative
hot babes outfits
lots of entertainment options
Haulover Beach

Old 12-21-2007, 11:45 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
the warm weather
the hot babes
not too conservative
hot babes outfits
lots of entertainment options
Haulover Beach
Interesting: the hot babes + hot babes outfits = Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami