Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:32 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Of course not. Common sense should tell you that the individual in the thread referring to Nazis and kangaroo courts doesn't have the slightest idea of what he is talking about. There is no time limit for commercial vehicles parked in front of a home performing a service. Here is the info from the Miami-Dade government website:

Miami-Dade County - Building - Commercial Vehicle Parking & Storage

As for the one-hour time limit that the OP is referring to, he has misinterpreted what that is in reference to. It is from a different section of the ordinance titled storage or parking of vehicles on private property and pertains to the owner of the commercial vehicle making a convenience stop in front of (presumably) his own residence. It is the property owner's responsibility to know who or what is parked on his or her own property.

That's exactly what the fine was for.
Guess what, I know of a case of someone who was fined for parking a tow truck at his home, and he does not own one, he is an accountant! The tow truck was picking up his car to take it to the shop. His lawyer solved the problem though, If you think that code enforcement cares about the county ordinance you are a fool. ALl they care about is revenue and that is why they took over the hearing from the circuit court. Why do you think that traffic court is fair while Kangaroo court is not? The hearing has only two criteria for guilt, are you the owner of the property and are you responsible for the alleged violation?

Unless you have actually been fined or dealt with code enforcement personally you should not comment on something based on theory. By the way the MD website is not legal advice and has no bearing whatsoever, as stated on their own site. Look to Municode for the actual wording of the code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 08:32 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
My home got a code violation for hedges being too high. Ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is that the code enforcer had no jurisdiction for that type of violation.

The problem with it is that my neighborhood is private property. Those types of codes don't apply here. Got it taken away with a few phone calls.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:35 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Sounds like bad luck--maybe and obnoxious neighbor complained. I don't know how people are supposed to move.

The code is ambiguous--but it appears to say that you get a warning first:

Commercial vehicles not allowed
A one-time 24-hour courtesy warning notice requiring removal of the vehicle is issued to the property owner or tenant.

First-time violators who do not remove their commercial vehicles within the specified time are issued $500 tickets.

If the property owner is issued a civil citation and the violation is not corrected, Team Metro may place a lien on the property.

A repeat violator will be issued a ticket ranging from $750 to $1000.

Upon a repeat violation, in addition to civil penalties, the commercial vehicle may be impounded until all outstanding violations and enforcement costs are satisfied. After 35 days of storage, the commercial vehicle may be disposed of pursuant to the provisions contained in 713.585, Florida Statues.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
By the way the MD website is not legal advice and has no bearing whatsoever, as stated on their own site. Look to Municode for the actual wording of the code.
I did; hence, my second paragragh, which you even quoted.

Reading is fundamental, my friend.

If you check yourself, you will see that subparagraph (b) of the ordinance pertains to storing or parking a commercial vehicle on private property and includes the one-hour time limit. Subparagraph (c) pertains to commercial vehicles performing a service at someone else's residence and includes no time limit.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:56 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
How is this law possible? My husband never takes less than an hour when he's doing a job in someone's home. I can see if it's your boat or camper or truck, they want you parking it in a garage or in the back yard, but how can they fine you for any commercial vehicle in your driveway over an hour? Even my exterminator is here longer than that!
I have a feeling they mean specifically, "unmanned and parked". If there were people obviously moving or working, it probably wouldn't be an issue.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:23 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Yea, the county isn't going to fine a work truck or a homeowner on the first visit. I'm sure the county knocked on the door of the home to speak to the homeowner. The OP or mom had to of gotten a warning to move the truck prior to a fine.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:23 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
I think a warning must've been issued as well. And most service vehicles are unmanned and parked while the workers are inside doing the job. My posts were incredulous because it was being stated here that a commercial vehicle couldn't be parked in front of a home for more than an hour. As it was stated - it made no sense.

OP - was it your hearing as you said, or your mother's hearing since she was the homeowner?

Old 07-26-2014, 06:23 AM

10 posts, read 9,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Now you know it is really a kangaroo court. Next time deny everything and demand a reinspection. Remember they are not police officers and cannot get a search warrant. I got that info directly from Rundle.
I couldn't deny anything. They had a picture at 1st and another at 2:30pm. It would be up to me to prove that I had moved it during that time.they took a bunch of pictures even them putting the 1 hour warning on the front door.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
They shouldn't have to "end up" giving you the fine and your mother shouldn't have to appeal it. You should pay it, because it was your doing.
Doesn't matter I'm paying anyways

Old 07-26-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
So service people are supposed to finish a job in under an hour???? How is that possible? You can't park in the street. How can you move in or out in under an hour? Have flooring installed? A kitchen put in? A washer repaired? Cable TV installation? This whole thing sounds very weird. Maybe the fine was because the commercial vehicle was your own and not someone doing a job?
I was mine. I was currently searching for commercial parking. It doesn't matter if there is work being done or not. Let's say it would have been another company working on my house. I would get the fine not the company because I am allowing it to happen on MY property. Doesn't matter if I'm there or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: