Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 09:14 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I remember the Howard Johnsos's restaurant and hotel where the new Marquis luxury condominium is now on Biscayne Boulevard near I-395.

Does anyone remember or know about a training hotel in downtown,I stayed there back in 1976 for $6.00 a night? There was a Royal Castle right near the hotel.It was a white u-shaped looking building, I am not sure where it was located or the name though.
That was Hotel Lindsey Hopkins. It was at the top of the way-cool 50's interior school headquarters. It was demolished in the 1980's. The Royal Castle was nearby, and closed shortly after. Another place I liked around there was the 50's style Biscayne Cafeteria. I can look in my 1980 phone book for the addresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 09:58 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Thanks for the information Tallrick,that place brought back memories. If you can get those addresses I'd appreciate it,I'd like to see what has been built on the site.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:26 PM

224 posts, read 1,001,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandrah View Post
I'm half asleep so the name excapes me but the big old soposidly haunted hotel that was closed for like forever. .
You are talking about the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables that is now totally restored and one of the top hotels in the area...

If you are ever in town, the Biltmore does a free tour that you should check out...

Old 03-15-2008, 02:54 PM

698 posts, read 2,840,615 times
I remember Lindsay Hopkins well. My best friend and I studied for our GED there.
Some other restaurants:
Moy Lee's
The Luau
Ember's
Asti's
Windy's (and the pick-up window)
Gino's
Red Coach Grill (where I ate at a discount or maybe even free until I was 12. I still have the card I had to present along with ID.)
Stores:
Jordan Marsh downtown which had a cool ice cream parlor that my mother took me to for lunch after shopping -- pre-food court days!
Burdine's Miami Beach, still there as of the last time I drove to the Beach, and it had a lunch room also, more like a very quiet and refined tea room, for the ladies who lunched.
Mark's Dry Cleaners
Three Sisters
Woolworth Lincoln Road with a lunchenette counter and photo booth I was lucky enough to use before they were gone.
We also loved Fun Fair on 79th Street causeway. A great weekend outing.
Living in M.B., Dadeland and a lot of what has been highlighted was a lonnnnggg journey away and an adventure. We always got lost. I loved watching for the big "D" as we approached.
Discos:
Scaramouche, as mentioned, where we went weekly until the Miami riots when our parents cut that off. We devised a way to get in without paying or waiting by using an ink pad with black-light ink in the shape of smooching lips, the club's insignia. You could stroll in past the long line and flash your hand under the black light as if you were returning from the bathroom because they were out in the lobby. That worked great!
One old-Miami commercials stuck forever: "Tom Gustafsen!"

Old 03-16-2008, 01:18 PM

13 posts, read 70,459 times
Red Coach Grill ---WOW! We used to eat there after going to theSkipper Chuck Show!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:02 PM

34 posts, read 166,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
You are talking about the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables that is now totally restored and one of the top hotels in the area...

If you are ever in town, the Biltmore does a free tour that you should check out...
That's funny the thaught of me doing touristie things in my own home town. Granted I haven't lived there in years but I'm one of those people who grew up in a tourist town and refuses to ever be the tourist no mater where I go.

I never understood how such a georgous building could be empty for so long I'm glad they got it open again even if it doese mean more freaking tourists. Weird I don't remember it being reopened though. Guess I was too busy with my life in other parts of town to notice.

Last edited by Zandrah; 03-17-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 03-17-2008, 07:36 PM

224 posts, read 1,001,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandrah View Post
That's funny the thaught of me doing touristie things in my own home town. Granted I haven't lived there in years but I'm one of those people who grew up in a tourist town and refuses to ever be the tourist no mater where I go.

I never understood how such a georgous building could be empty for so long I'm glad they got it open again even if it doese mean more freaking tourists. Weird I don't remember it being reopened though. Guess I was too busy with my life in other parts of town to notice.
you can see it here Miami Hotels, Florida Resorts & Coral Gables FL Luxury Room Reservations - The Biltmore hotel

Old 03-21-2008, 10:45 AM

38 posts, read 145,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
I used to ride my bike to boystown to watch the races.. long time ago!
and used to work at taco viva!

I miss Mars bar, saved me the drive to the beach to have a good time!
Mars Bar was my home Wednesday - Saturdays. I dated 2 people that worked there and starred in bondage shows on Wednesdays. LOL
the best Bar/Club in Kendall

Old 03-21-2008, 10:46 AM

38 posts, read 145,855 times
Fiesta Tacos where El Dorado on 137 and kendall dr is now

Old 04-12-2008, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 7,955 times
Default I'm new here

LIved in Miami and Hialeah in the 50's to 70's. There was a Plantation Pit on 49th Street just past the railroad overpass. I rememember when Westland was built. I also remember when Dadeland was built. Really miss the old drive-in resturants. Are there still any down there? Went to Miami Jackson when it was really nice. Anybody out there remember Ross's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami