Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 06:04 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Nope - not College Park Pizza. It's another sports bar now. LA Grill or something like that. It's actually pretty good.
College Park is gone??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
These things/people are still here.

Swensons was still there as of two years ago. Not sure about now, though.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:17 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Nope - not College Park Pizza. It's another sports bar now. LA Grill or something like that. It's actually pretty good.

From what i heard yesterday, thats gone already too. I think its going to be Sandbar. I found out what happened with Big Hoolies closing down, it was a family issue. (divorce)

Old 08-15-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivval View Post
- In Kendall Mall (107th and something) that had craft world, all that glitters, celebrations and baskin robbins. OH, and New York, New York restaurant (where I had my very first bagel).
I so miss Craft World and All That Glitters (the owners of that store were such nice people). There was also a little hole in the wall bagel bakery in that shopping center that was tucked in this weird little hallway back in the corner that actually was a breezeway to the back of the building. My dad used to always get bialys there.

Quote:
- Fedco drugstores
Used to get our prescriptions filled there, and it was the only place we could find Necco candies and marzipan.

Quote:
- College park pizza
I took dance classes at the Dance Center next door as a kid. We would pick up dinner there afterwards sometimes.

Quote:
- Godfather's Pizza that was either in or near Treasury
I was pretty young when that was around - was it near the Zayre?

Quote:
- Colecos??? Corrolas? Pizza? Something like that. Wasn't that good!
Are you thinking of Casola's at 17th and US-1? That is some good stuff!

Quote:
- Didn't Krome ave have U-pics?
Yes, we used to get strawberries!

Quote:
- Killian Sr High before the school got walled in. We used to get rained on in the exterior hallways. I dream of that school sometimes.
I went to Killian from 94-98. It is really only the front that is walled in (they just added more classrooms with an indoor hallway to accommodate the 4,000 strong student body). The back of it was still open to the elements when I attended, complete with flooding hallways. It was always nice to open your locker after spring break to see what kind of bugs decided to take up residence there.

Quote:
- Swensens ice cream. Same mall as Specs on US1 I believe. My parents never took me there!
My parents never took me there, either! I didn't enjoy Swensons until after I came back from college.

Quote:
- Riverboat playhouse with their square pizzas and make your own sundae bar. They were owned by the same company that created the Automat - Horn and Hardart!
One of my most vivid childhood memories was during a birthday party at Riverboat and some kid puked in that big vat of plastic balls.

Wow, so many things! A few are still around, others long gone.

When I was growing up, there used to be a fruit stand on Killian Parkway where the Killian Estates (I think that's what they're called, across 97th Ave from Ron Ehman park) now butt up against the canal. It was the best thing ever! My parents would get all sorts of fresh locally grown fruits and vegetables there. I have fond memories of eating fresh English peas from the pod with my father and "indian nuts" (type of pine nut). I was so disappointed when that place disappeared overnight.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:45 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
English language..

Old 08-15-2008, 02:14 PM

13 posts, read 70,469 times
There was also a little hole in the wall bagel bakery in that shopping center that was tucked in this weird little hallway back in the corner that actually was a breezeway to the back of the building. My dad used to always get bialys there

It was called THE BAGEL HOLE.

Fantastic Bagels!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:17 AM

19 posts, read 92,149 times
Anyone remember Skipper Chuck from t.v. and the White Baron? Or watching Creature Feature late at night.

I lived on Key Biscayne for awhile. There was a great burger joint there, I think it was called The Beach House. Fantastic french fries.

My brother and I used to go in the swamp behind the old zoo at Cranden Park and catch snakes. The zoo had those big concrete animals, one was a hippo with its mouth open.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:26 PM

747 posts, read 2,105,443 times
[quote=danzbassman;4955532]Anyone remember Skipper Chuck from t.v. and the White Baron? Or watching Creature Feature late at night.
I went on the Skipper Chuck show a few times. Remember Capt Kangaroo came on right after at 8 AM I believe.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:58 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I too was on skipper chuck, once. It is a shame we have no local programming except news today.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:23 PM

747 posts, read 2,105,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I too was on skipper chuck, once. It is a shame we have no local programming except news today.
Yea, I think I remember you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami