Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 10:10 PM

10 posts, read 71,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMermaid View Post
Anyone remember Peaches music store ? There were two , I believe. One in South Miami (now a Canton restaurant) and one on US1 and 138th, which turned into a Specs, which is now an Italian suitplace for men ?

Biscayne Baby's, wow, I remember I wasn't old enough to get in, but they did have one night a week for people under 18. And , of course, Cameo Theatre, I saw the Red Hot Chili Pepper's wayy before they became mainstream.

Wow, this thread is Awesome, and bringing up so many great memories. How about Piper Lanes in Perrine (my parents bowled in a league there, and I spend a many nights with their 'nightcare' program. So much fun!!

And there was a place in Suniland , where you could buy things with stamps you got from groceries or something like that. Anyone remember that ? or the name ?
Were those green stamps that I think you paste to a sheet. Not sure of the store that accepted them. May be it was the 5&10 cent store (which was in the suniland strip mall) that had the electronic horse and the machine for those large balloons. lol

For some reason all I remember is the 5 & 10 store, publix, suniland movie theater, j byrons and the post office close by.

I remember there were coupons in the weekly news paper that one could cut out and see a movie for a discounted price at suniland movie theater.

I remember peaches and spec the specs near 136st ( the falls area ) was Q's record and tapes I use to buy a lot of records there. I use to cross US1 by going under it via the canal that was behind the falls which would exit right near Q's and wendy's. Oh I actually I worked at spec's near south Miami for a week once lol.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm4eva View Post
Damn Don Carter Kendall lanes. That's where I learned to bowl back in the 80's. **** those are some good memories. Also remember when the PBA Tour use to go there. Met all my favorite bowlers back then.
Don Carters is still there I believe. I've bowled there sometimes but mostly at Bowl O Mat that was off US1 and and about 132st.I lived very close to Bowl O Mat and Kendall skating rink they were walking distance away. I actually have photos of the inside of Kendall skating rink. I was in a bowling league at Bowl O Mat for a while.I think theres a walgreens there now.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshnut View Post
i remember kendall skating rink!@ i remember the lights with the huge plastic ball fixture around them, the "stick figures" of people skating on the walls. the small gameroom area just past the food area. man i wish someone had pictures of this! i also remember riverboat playhouse and seeing "flash gordon" at the theater in the mall next to it. i miss it so much!
you have a good memory heres a photo of kendall skating rink floor.

IMG_0058 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23770500@N04/5501086691/ - broken link)

I also have photos of the snackbar and gaming area I may upload later

Old 03-06-2011, 07:32 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiEric View Post
Don Carters is still there I believe. I've bowled there sometimes but mostly at Bowl O Mat that was off US1 and and about 132st.I lived very close to Bowl O Mat and Kendall skating rink they were walking distance away. I actually have photos of the inside of Kendall skating rink. I was in a bowling league at Bowl O Mat for a while.I think theres a walgreens there now.
Don Carter's has been a Staples for a couple of years now.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,390 times
Default Dade county Youth fair

does the dade county youth fair still take place

Old 03-07-2011, 12:50 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey0212 View Post
does the dade county youth fair still take place

Yes it does. It starts on March 17th this year.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:34 PM

5 posts, read 17,257 times
Default I miss my old Miami

It's kind of sad to read all we've lost in the paradise city we used to live in. My dad remembers when Flagler was a dirt road and when they named Bird road because the birds were so loud you couldn't hear yourself think. My mom remembers when they built the 826 and when they were critized by everyone for moving out to the "swamp land" (Kendall). I remember Colonial golf course with the dinosaurs and the old Serpentarium. I remember when you could go to Crandon park and not step on broken glass. I remember being on the Skipper Chuck show and I loved that morning kids show where a panel of kids would read the comics to the viewers. I hated when they moved the Parrot Jungle and it hurt when they closed Don Carters. I also remember when everyone spoke English and I didn't feel like I was an outsider in my own town. You have to be an old Native (or close to it) to get it.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:37 PM

5 posts, read 17,257 times
Default Great memories

Anyone remember the Gold Triangle across the street from Dadeland?

Old 03-13-2011, 10:44 PM

3 posts, read 13,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiEric View Post
Were those green stamps that I think you paste to a sheet. Not sure of the store that accepted them. May be it was the 5&10 cent store (which was in the suniland strip mall) that had the electronic horse and the machine for those large balloons. lol

For some reason all I remember is the 5 & 10 store, publix, suniland movie theater, j byrons and the post office close by.

I remember there were coupons in the weekly news paper that one could cut out and see a movie for a discounted price at suniland movie theater.

I remember peaches and spec the specs near 136st ( the falls area ) was Q's record and tapes I use to buy a lot of records there. I use to cross US1 by going under it via the canal that was behind the falls which would exit right near Q's and wendy's. Oh I actually I worked at spec's near south Miami for a week once lol.
I used to go to the Cameo to see Punk Rock ,Hardcore and some longhair bands in the 80's like GBH,CirleJerks,7seconds,Suicidal Tendencies,Cro Mags,Agnostic Front,Bad Brains,The Exploited,DOA,TSOL,Gang Green,Dead Milkmen,JFA,Henry Rollins,Danzig,Slayer,Motorhead,Anthrax,Celtic Frost,The Necros and other.I rememer it closed down for a bit for repair when the balcony i think started cracking.Some shows went to the theater on Lincoln Road which was AF and some other.That was before South Beach was fixed up and it was a getto area.Before Cameo there was Flynns farther up hte beach around 78st or so not sure be a long time.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:16 AM

253 posts, read 434,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNativeMiamian View Post
It's kind of sad to read all we've lost in the paradise city we used to live in. My dad remembers when Flagler was a dirt road and when they named Bird road because the birds were so loud you couldn't hear yourself think. My mom remembers when they built the 826 and when they were critized by everyone for moving out to the "swamp land" (Kendall). I remember Colonial golf course with the dinosaurs and the old Serpentarium. I remember when you could go to Crandon park and not step on broken glass. I remember being on the Skipper Chuck show and I loved that morning kids show where a panel of kids would read the comics to the viewers. I hated when they moved the Parrot Jungle and it hurt when they closed Don Carters. I also remember when everyone spoke English and I didn't feel like I was an outsider in my own town. You have to be an old Native (or close to it) to get it.
Nice post. My grandparents moved to SW 97th Ave. when it was called East Glades Road. The old photos are amazing, virtually nothing in any direction.

I not only bowled at Don Carter's, I played tennis there. In high school my buddies and I showed up very early for mid afternoon bowling matches and we used to bang tennis balls off the east wall of the building. Very few, if any, cars were parked around the corner at that point of the day. Nobody ever complained or said a word. The thump of the tennis ball against the wall seemed so loud outside but I'm sure it was more than drowned out by the crash of pins inside.

BTW, add another one to the list as of Sunday afternoon. Calusa Country Club closed suddenly after only a few days notice. It was a wide open moderately priced public golf course off Kendall Drive at about SW 132nd Ave., kind of hidden from view and requiring a bit of a windy road to reach the parking lot.

Another victim of Katrina. The course never fully recovered after a tornado during Katrina's early onslaught damaged the clubhouse so severely it had to be torn down, and never replaced. The course was run out of a trailer the past 5 years after reopening in March 2006.

I'll really miss it. Great friendly staff and the course had 4 holes that started near the middle of the property so starters would let you open up on #1, #6, #10 or #14 depending which was the least crowded.

Calusa had a wild stretch in the '90s and early '00s. O.J. Simpson was a regular for years in his post acquittal period, roaming the course with the same group and with his buxom girlfriend Kristi following in a separate cart. Then he'd hold court in the restaurant/bar area, with a booming voice that dominated every other conversation in the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami