Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 08:27 AM

122 posts, read 314,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCitySouthDadeResident View Post
I used to go to the Cameo to see Punk Rock ,Hardcore and some longhair bands in the 80's like GBH,CirleJerks,7seconds,Suicidal Tendencies,Cro Mags,Agnostic Front,Bad Brains,The Exploited,DOA,TSOL,Gang Green,Dead Milkmen,JFA,Henry Rollins,Danzig,Slayer,Motorhead,Anthrax,Celtic Frost,The Necros and other.I rememer it closed down for a bit for repair when the balcony i think started cracking.Some shows went to the theater on Lincoln Road which was AF and some other.That was before South Beach was fixed up and it was a getto area.Before Cameo there was Flynns farther up hte beach around 78st or so not sure be a long time.
It was Flynn's Ocean 71 on the Southeast corner of 71 street and Collins (diagonally across from the McDonald's) It was there from about '83 or '84 until '85. The promoter moved down to the Cameo by the mid 80's and then left the area about '86. It was real surreal seeing a club like that in what was still a retiree haven at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 09:36 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Miami sounds like it used to be a lot of fun. What happened?!

I'm seconding the response that Shorty's BBQ is still there because I have eaten there in the last 3 years. It's just as the other person described...has a/c but still has the long tables with the red and white checked table covers. The food is great.

Also, way back, someone mentioned Xtra Supermarkets. There is an Extra Supermarket on SW 8th St...is this the same thing? It's kinda run down, dark and dingy inside but you can get meat pretty cheap there.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,186 times
Remember what was at the Falls before The Falls?

Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Miami sounds like it used to be a lot of fun. What happened?!

I'm seconding the response that Shorty's BBQ is still there because I have eaten there in the last 3 years. It's just as the other person described...has a/c but still has the long tables with the red and white checked table covers. The food is great.

Also, way back, someone mentioned Xtra Supermarkets. There is an Extra Supermarket on SW 8th St...is this the same thing? It's kinda run down, dark and dingy inside but you can get meat pretty cheap there.
I always used to shop at the Xtra behind the Dadeland Center and just to the south of SW 88th Street (Kendall Drive) across from Dadeland Mall. It wasn't that bad, kind of a big werehouse set up. Uncommon for a grocery store today but pretty much the same setup as a BJ's or Costco, just a little smaller.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:36 PM

5 posts, read 17,254 times
Default I remember Calusa Country Club

Calusa was an awesome course and club. Didn't they have a breakfast buffet there on the weekends? The last time I was there was when they were operating out of the trailer. I had no idea they finally closed. Another nail in the coffin of Old Miami.
That is cool that you played tennis off the east wall of Don Carters. What a great memory. Remember when Don Carters was the end of the road? Driving out there was like driving to no mans land. Remember College Park Inn? Here's an old one...Village Mall. Remember that mall on the south west corner of Kendall and 97th Avenue. There was I believe a Pantry Pride there. Also a pet shop, Carvel, five and ten store, comic store, and then later a surf shop. Oh, and the Chicken Unlimited on the corner. The mall seemed always empty. My parents would go grocery shopping and we would go to the comic store or pet store...we were pretty young too. That wouldn't happen today.
I've searched the internet for pictures of the old Miami we are talking about. It seems there are more pictures of Miami in the 20's through 50's than there are of the 60's through 70's. I only found one distant picture of the Gold Triangle, no good pictures of Don Carters, Serpentarium, Lums, Village Mall, and especially Colonial Golf Course. Have you ever seen or searched for any? I'd appreciate any ideas.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNativeMiamian View Post
Calusa was an awesome course and club. Didn't they have a breakfast buffet there on the weekends? The last time I was there was when they were operating out of the trailer. I had no idea they finally closed. Another nail in the coffin of Old Miami.
That is cool that you played tennis off the east wall of Don Carters. What a great memory. Remember when Don Carters was the end of the road? Driving out there was like driving to no mans land. Remember College Park Inn? Here's an old one...Village Mall. Remember that mall on the south west corner of Kendall and 97th Avenue. There was I believe a Pantry Pride there. Also a pet shop, Carvel, five and ten store, comic store, and then later a surf shop. Oh, and the Chicken Unlimited on the corner. The mall seemed always empty. My parents would go grocery shopping and we would go to the comic store or pet store...we were pretty young too. That wouldn't happen today.
I've searched the internet for pictures of the old Miami we are talking about. It seems there are more pictures of Miami in the 20's through 50's than there are of the 60's through 70's. I only found one distant picture of the Gold Triangle, no good pictures of Don Carters, Serpentarium, Lums, Village Mall, and especially Colonial Golf Course. Have you ever seen or searched for any? I'd appreciate any ideas.
There are a few good pictures of Don Carter's in old bowling books. I remember the golf course on US-1 (colonial palms) across from the Zayre shopping center and how long it sat abandoned. I had a family pic in front of Black Angus showing the old Jefferson's store in the background. Gold Triangle and Wometco twin theater I remember, but I do not remember a pantry pride (food fair) anywhere on Kendall except at Dadelend. Perhaps it was there before the expressway was built next to the RR tracks?

Old 03-15-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
I always used to shop at the Xtra behind the Dadeland Center and just to the south of SW 88th Street (Kendall Drive) across from Dadeland Mall. It wasn't that bad, kind of a big werehouse set up. Uncommon for a grocery store today but pretty much the same setup as a BJ's or Costco, just a little smaller.
Xtra was also on 112 ave and Bird road. Too bad because I was upset when they demolished the Gold Triangle to build that. The one on 112 ave is now a Winn-Dixie.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxler View Post
Remember what was at the Falls before The Falls?
An empty lot that looked like an abandoned golf course. There was a plant nursery next to US-1 by the railroad tracks and some kind of junk yard for old equipment near the canal.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 AM

You can catch a glimpse of a few scenes of 70's Miami at night, mixed with scenes from Las Vegas in the "night fever" video with the Bee-Gees. Black Angus and Rascal House signs are briefly visible.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:59 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
There are a few good pictures of Don Carter's in old bowling books. I remember the golf course on US-1 (colonial palms) across from the Zayre shopping center and how long it sat abandoned. I had a family pic in front of Black Angus showing the old Jefferson's store in the background. Gold Triangle and Wometco twin theater I remember, but I do not remember a pantry pride (food fair) anywhere on Kendall except at Dadelend. Perhaps it was there before the expressway was built next to the RR tracks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aymtj...eature=related

If you have forgotten what a 7-10 split pick-up looks like ,here it is quite an achievement in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami