Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 09:12 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
No ac in school wasn't that long ago. I graduated in '80 and at the time Southwest Miami High still didn't have ac in 2 of the 4 main buildings. We had window units in the house I grew up in too.
By the time I went to southwest they had finished the air conditioning. However, in the schools I attended before that there was usually no air conditioning except for the office. My parent's home was built with central air in 1960, and that system is still working since I rebuilt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 01:51 AM

253 posts, read 434,147 times
Southwest well represented here. Nothing close to full AC when I was there. The school was designed with cross ventilation in mind, fully windowed outer walls and incomplete inner walls with windows above. Consequently you could often hear the teacher in the adjacent room or across the hall. I remember some of my teachers closing the door in an attempt to partially nullify a loud or enthusiastic neighboring teacher.

I was skilled at manipulating a trip to the library, and air conditioned relief.

There were other schools designed similarly. I can think of South Miami Junior High, which my sister attended.

We had three individual AC units in our house when I was a kid, one in the master bedroom, Florida room and den. But I have very early memories of chasing flies from window screen to window screen and catching them in pill bottles before releasing them. Either we didn't have AC at that point, or didn't always use it.

My dad told me that movie theaters were among the first businesses to feature AC, specifically Olympia on Flagler Street. He said Sears had AC early in Miami.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:38 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
It seems there are more pictures of Miami in the 20's through 50's than there are of the 60's through 70's. I only found one distant picture of the Gold Triangle, no good pictures of Don Carters, Serpentarium, Lums, Village Mall, and especially Colonial Golf Course. Have you ever seen or searched for any? I'd appreciate any ideas.
-------

TrueNative

I've got a payload of pics from Miami from the 40's and 50's, my parents used to visit the place a lot. But unfortunately there are only pics of Indians fighting alligators, parrots, The Lido, Flamingos at the Hialeah Race Track, some occasional picture of Burdines, Ten Cent and their Soda Fountain and not much more.

I do remember Lums in Miami Beach, and there was another near FIU. I remember that it was a genuine Miamian restaurant.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:54 AM

707 posts, read 1,407,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
No ac in school wasn't that long ago. I graduated in '80 and at the time Southwest Miami High still didn't have ac in 2 of the 4 main buildings. We had window units in the house I grew up in too.
I went to SW High School as well, I graduated in '77 and I remember one day the school closing down because the heat was unbearable. At that time we had two shifts, the early shift was ok but boy the late shift was murder, so hot in the Florida afternoon time.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:28 PM

10 posts, read 18,652 times
This site is fantastic!

Does anyone remember a food court type restaurant close to US1 on 67th? The stations had food representing countries from all over the world. It sounds like the Yumbrella someone mentioned earlier but I don't think it was on 57th but it could have been. I was very young. I'm dying to know the name. Yumbrella doesn't sound right but, again, it could be.

Also, there was a circus style kids hamburger joint on either Bird or Coral, probably 92nd or 97th. I'm dying to know the name of this place, too.

Thanks so much!

Old 07-05-2011, 11:50 PM

10 posts, read 18,652 times
I bowled at bird in the early 70's, too. I broke my tumb and missed several weeks. My couch was not pleased. Everyone had gotten so good when I returned. Don't remember any names though.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:54 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
it kills me there arent more pictures of diving in the keys from the 1970s and before. underwater photography hadnt really taken off yet but that was before the reefs went into a serious decline in the late 70s/early 80s. when everything was still fields of fantastic spiky stony coral that fish would dive in and out of.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pGqz7E7BGs

Old 07-06-2011, 08:09 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
yeah but this is what it USED to look like:

and then at the turn of the decade something went terribly wrong

Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 PM

253 posts, read 434,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianthelion View Post
This site is fantastic!

Does anyone remember a food court type restaurant close to US1 on 67th? The stations had food representing countries from all over the world. It sounds like the Yumbrella someone mentioned earlier but I don't think it was on 57th but it could have been. I was very young. I'm dying to know the name. Yumbrella doesn't sound right but, again, it could be.

Also, there was a circus style kids hamburger joint on either Bird or Coral, probably 92nd or 97th. I'm dying to know the name of this place, too.

Thanks so much!
I remember the food court very well, but alas not the name. It was near the current U-Haul dealer. I think that's 57th.

Glad to see a mention of the circus style hamburger joint. That was on the south side of Bird Road, just across from Bird Bowl. It featured a huge kids' slide to the rear and east of the hamburger joint. You could buy burgers and earn points toward rides down the slide, and I think rides could be purchased separately.

Not many people seem to remember that short-lived venture of the early '70s. Again, I can't recall the name. The building later became a flower shop. Not sure what is it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami