Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 11:09 AM

17 posts, read 41,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Jo Robinson Pettit View Post
Hello, Candace, I grew up on 58th Ave., near the intersections of Bird and Red Roads. The drug store at the corner was a Rexall, but perhaps it had the owner's name along with the "Rexall."
Allan's Drugs, right? It used to have an old-style lunch counter and soda fountain inside it. I think that and the old Sunset Drugs (now a CVS on the SE corner of Red and Sunset) had the only such traditional drug store counters around in the late 70s / early 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 8,085 times
I'm from New York, but spent a lot of time in Broward County -- the Lauderdale Lakes/Sunrise area -- as a child and then as a teenager in the 1980s and early 90s. Some places I adored once upon a time that no longer exist:

Pizza Cabaret -- A family amusement center with a pizzeria, ice cream parlor, video games, and go-karts. I visited the place frequently during the mid-1980s. Someone on these boards mentioned that they were pretty sure it was once-upon-a-time situated where 441 crossed SR 84. Pizza Cabaret has been gone since 1987 or thereabouts.

Grand Prix Race 'o' Rama -- I vacationed in Broward a few months back and was surprised to find that this once-awesome spot had been 'retrofitted' into "Boomers!" It's not nearly the same.

The Odyssey -- A very nice restaurant that my grandparents were particularly fond of.

The Rascal House -- My parents and grandparents always raved about the food, and the lengthy wait one normally encountered during dinner hours. I don't remember much about it, unfortunately.

There was a movie theater in a strip mall on Oakland Park Blvd.. Geographically, it would've been near where Lauderdale Lakes turns into Lauderhill. Roughly across the street from the shopping plaza which still houses Verdi's, a family-style Italian restaurant. In the summer of 1991, my grandpa took me to that theater to see Terminator 2 on its opening day. Great memory!

I bowled at Don Carter's any number of times. Played video games at Broward Mall and Lakes Mall. My dad's folks lived at Cypress Chase, in Lauderdale Lakes.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,698 times
Default My Favoriets Places

My families 'ol favorite was Mancini's off Flaglar, anyone remember The Duke? How about Bamaha Steak House off 36th st.? Cye's Rivergate, The Tarus Steak House in CG, Shrivers BBQ, Marshall Majors in So. Miami, The Depot, Tabacco Roads on the Miami river. Can't forget La Tasca Italian by DC Auditorium OMG thoes are good memories.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 AM

4 posts, read 10,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 122014471311 View Post
I gather you don't mean Senn's Five and Dime in Sunniland but somewhere further north?
No I think you got it. That sounds familiar, thanks!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Did someone already say Goonie (sp?) Golf and Godfather's Pizza?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:39 AM

How about Q Records and Tapes with the big painted Q on the outside wall, and Bodega Restaurant close to where Dixie became US-1?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:17 AM

7 posts, read 14,115 times
Talking I remember Time for School

I remember Time for School and the theme music. I whistle it sometimes to see if anyone recognizes it. No one ever does. I was about 6. I remember staying home sick and watching it. Was it black and white or was it just our TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by east215 View Post
Does anyone else remember a local show on Channel 2 called "Time For School"? It was an educational show with a teacher named Mrs. Hack. There was also a puppet called "Drucilla the Dragon" and a young woman with dark hair and a long Italian last name who played piano. It was on when Channel 2 was still WTHS and was part of NET (predessor to PBS). It was ijn black and white and ran for 15 minutes. No one I knew from S. Florida seems to remember it.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 AM

Default THe old library

Oh man, I still get mad about the tearing down of the old library!!!!
I think that the redevelopment of the Bayside area was a grand rip off. Should have left the park and the library where and the way it was. It would have been preserved today. Someone I mentioned this to recently replied that it was a homeless camping ground. But, that's true still. The only difference is that we lost a great old Miami building. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I miss Hialeah Lanes, the Coliseum, Don Carter's Kendall lanes, Sweden House smorgasbord, Dixie drive in, Tropicare drive in, the Serpentarium, Miami wax museum, Crandon park, the old main library, bayfront auditorium, coral way drive in, pizza palace, Royal castle, Biscaya hotel, dupont plaza, and many others not demolished but out of business.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 AM

Default Allan's Drugs and Lunch Counters

Allan's is still there. I go by it all the time. The lunch counter is still inside. Its a concession, now owned by another business - I forget the name. The super hot chili is no longer on the menu.

But there were other lunch counters. The Sears on Coral way at 37th Ave still had it's counter in the 80's and a place a little above Downtown in the Wynwood/Edgewater area called the S&S Diner. It is ONLY a horse shoe counter, no tables. It has been sold a couple of times. I attended the "closing" years ago after which it promptly reopened with the same menu. it's been there a LONG time. Maybe no soda fountain. Also, I remember going to the Walgreen's, both downtown and in the Central Shopping Center on NW 7th St and 37th Ave. These had fountains. My mom would always get coffee and take a bite from my burger of filch a few fries because she was always on a diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122014471311 View Post
Allan's Drugs, right? It used to have an old-style lunch counter and soda fountain inside it. I think that and the old Sunset Drugs (now a CVS on the SE corner of Red and Sunset) had the only such traditional drug store counters around in the late 70s / early 80s.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:57 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,182,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmarko View Post
My mom would always get coffee and take a bite from my burger of filch a few fries because she was always on a diet.
Reminded me of my Mom who would take a bite out of my sandwiches to make sure they weren't poisoned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami