Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 PM

16 posts, read 80,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuag995 View Post
Yes, my grandmother was good friends with the pharmasist at Sentry Drugs. I loved that mall. I used to live in El Conquistador next door. There was a Pantry Pride where the KMart is now but the rest of the mall is gone and replaced by El Dorado and other shops that look like warehouses. I remember at the Publix mall across the way there was a kid's store name Peppermint Patties, a Godfathers Pizza, A fish market named Grumpy Grouper. Remember Mi PI Pizza? I wonder if Kendale Lakes Elementary still puts ice on the side of their big hill around the holidays to mimic snow. The kids would make snowballs out of them but since it was chopped ice, it stung like crazy when you got smaked in the face. That was a fun school.

Grumpy Grouper!! My god I haven't heard of that place in years!

O.k. I have to shoot out another "down memory lane" segment here...

1) Going to the mall on Kendall drive that had a Popeyes drug store. (I think it's this one: http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/prints/pr21221.jpg )

2) Going to Pantry Pride with my mom.

3)Going to my brother's soccer games at K-Land and.

4) Going to the Amish Bakery and getting the strawberries and the best cinnamon rolls ever!

5) Listening to WINZ-FM "I-95" http://jomaeder.com/wp-content/uploa...super-edit.mp3

6) Going to the Drive-thru Farm store (you can still see it on Google maps).

7) Going to six flaggs Atlantis & going to Jaxons Ice-cream afterwords.

8)seeing Return of the Jedi at the dadeland twin theater. (man I wish someone had some nice pics of that place!)

8) going to summer camp at the Museum of Science (also seeing laser shows in the Planetarium)!

9)Going to the Swap-Shop flea market on Sunday mornings.

10) going on my dad's boat on Sunday mornings (I would always see hot-air balloons in the sky while we were driving to the boat dock).

11) Bowling at Don Carters Bowling.

12) AMC Kendall Town & Country Mall (wasn't there a restaurant called "D-lites"? I remember the windows of that restaurant curving up to the ceiling).

13)Shopping at "Best" store (kinda like a service merchandise) in Cutler Ridge
SITE BEST STORES (part 3) - YouTube (skip to 1:48)

14) Watching snippets and weekday morning cartoons on WCIX Channel 6
WCIX Tom, Jerry, and Friends Opening from 1984 - YouTube

15)Eating at Godfather's Pizza (and playing tabletop Pac-Man)

16) 2 words......Riverboat Playhouse! Mark Twain's Riverboat Playhouse(1982) Game Token-Sally Unltd Inc.(1981)-10343C | eBay

17) Going to the Omni Mall.

18) Video Powerhouse.

19) Castle Park (I crashed a go-cart! )

20) Grand Prix Race-O-Rama

21) Carvel Ice-cream
WCIX Sunday Morning Carvel break - May 1984 - YouTube

22) Movies at the Falls (followed by Hagen Daz ice-cream). There ws also a Swensons there as well.

Just to name a few!

Last edited by meshnut; 10-19-2011 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiEric View Post
you have a good memory heres a photo of kendall skating rink floor.

IMG_0058 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23770500@N04/5501086691/ - broken link)

I also have photos of the snackbar and gaming area I may upload later

Yes! Please upload them!

Old 10-20-2011, 01:21 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
The 'bakery' is Knaus Berry Farm. They are still in business. This year they open on November 1. I can hardly wait! BTW, they are not Amish, they are German Baptists. If you are on Facebook, look them up - they have their own page with lots of fans. They ship their cinnamon rolls now.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:01 AM

Thank you for the info! I miss those rolls!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:53 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
WOW I remember Best from my childhood days. They were building it off of US-1 which later became a wholesale outlet store. I had remembered the store with the landscaped wall but forgot it was in Hialeah. I bet that is long gone by now. It really is amazing how you can view films and video from those days and realize how far downhill the area has gone. All those American cars and people seemed more positive than they do in today's south Florida.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:58 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
By the way I drove down US-1 today and saw the Wag's building is still there and empty! I do remember eating there as well as our family trips to the Best store. Before that we used to go to the Sweden house, which building also still exists, but for how long who knows? It says a Fuddruckers will be in that space soon.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:10 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
22) Movies at the Falls (followed by Hagen Daz ice-cream). There ws also a Swensons there as well.
---

Yes, Swenson was expensive as hell. They used to recreate old soda fountains, but they charged 5 bucks for a 10 cent sundae. Yes, you had also El Torito there, nice place.

Yes, I remember Sweden House and their smorgasbords, they were in fashion at that time, but they were not Swedish at all.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:16 PM

Listening to WINZ-FM "I-95"

---

I loved I-95, it was no frills POP MUSIC, nice.
I have one of their bumper stickers, must be over 35 years old.
At that time you also had Z-4, exceptional and a classic radio station in Coral Gables, extremely good quality, a first class commentator. Never ever I've ever heard a classic music radio station like that.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:20 PM

Mesh

I remember when there were no Publixs, but Pantry Pride and Grand Unions.
I remember Sambo's, they had a a little black valet made of plaster at the door....
There's one place I really miss, Big Daddy's...those places were good, I haven't seen any remotely similar anywhere.

Last edited by Manolón; 10-20-2011 at 12:40 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 11:13 PM

253 posts, read 434,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It really is amazing how you can view films and video from those days and realize how far downhill the area has gone.
Last night I had to turn off that Best video halfway through for precisely that reason. Incredibly depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami