Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 10:03 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadydangel View Post
George's Super Subs on 8th Street
My all-time favorite place in Miami!

I was really sad when they closed down.

I still remember it for being the place where I first saw and drank "dark" beer when I was in high school. (Yes, it was legal for me to drink as an 18-yr-old high school student back then.) The beer was called Miller Dark and is similar in taste to Michelob AmberBock. I've been a dark beer aficionado ever since (although my tastes now lean to Newcastle and Guinness.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,083 times
Default New England Oyster House

Does anyone remember the Barbecue shrimp? It was baked in a cheesy tomato sauce. I got it every time we went there for dinner. I haven't had it in 50 years but still remember the incredible taste. Can't find a recipe that is anything like it. Any guesses?

Old 01-13-2013, 12:30 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,972 times
It's a nice coincidence that I stumbled upon this thread today. Just yesterday I was remembering the store called Luria's. I can't recall where all the locations were, but I do know that there was one store located in the Miracle Mile area and another in Pinecrest.

Also, the store called J Byrons. I remember going there fairly often in the 80s.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
It's a nice coincidence that I stumbled upon this thread today. Just yesterday I was remembering the store called Luria's. I can't recall where all the locations were, but I do know that there was one store located in the Miracle Mile area and another in Pinecrest.
There was also a Luria's on the north east corner of Bird Rd. and 87 Ave.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:45 PM

626 posts, read 1,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
After sitting vacant for many years, the Luria's building was tore down. It is now an Office Depot and other stores...Sedano's may be one of them.

I worked at J. Byron's on Brickell...near the Omni..a looooong time ago...my senior year in high school (1977). Not sure what that is nowdays.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 PM

253 posts, read 434,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
As a kid I was always nervous before they buzzed me in. It was like you were being evaluated.

I made one purchase at Luria's that I was very proud of. As a young teenager somehow I scraped together enough money to buy a wall clock with a very classy design. It was a present for my mom. The brand name was London. The clock looked considerably more expensive than it was. My mom hung that clock in our living room and seldom failed to brag about it to company. It remained in the same spot the rest of her life. After my mom died in 2008 my dad would occasionally refer to the clock, and how much it meant to mom. He died in October. I have the clock now. In fact my dad willed it to me. Little things like that generally weren't in the will but I sense dad knew I'd appreciate seeing it in print, to bring back memories.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
As a kid I was always nervous before they buzzed me in. It was like you were being evaluated.

I made one purchase at Luria's that I was very proud of. As a young teenager somehow I scraped together enough money to buy a wall clock with a very classy design. It was a present for my mom. The brand name was London. The clock looked considerably more expensive than it was. My mom hung that clock in our living room and seldom failed to brag about it to company. It remained in the same spot the rest of her life. After my mom died in 2008 my dad would occasionally refer to the clock, and how much it meant to mom. He died in October. I have the clock now. In fact my dad willed it to me. Little things like that generally weren't in the will but I sense dad knew I'd appreciate seeing it in print, to bring back memories.
Love that story. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
I remember the Luria's on Bird Road well. It did sit empty for over 10 years in the decaying shopping center with only Office Depot open. There was also one in Suniland shopping center, and another in the Concord shopping center. The last remaining one is empty in the Kendale Lakes shopping center.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post

Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
After sitting vacant for many years, the Luria's building was tore down. It is now an Office Depot and other stores...Sedano's may be one of them.

I worked at J. Byron's on Brickell...near the Omni..a looooong time ago...my senior year in high school (1977). Not sure what that is nowdays.

Sorry..meant to say on Biscayne Blvd.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami