Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 05:13 PM

23 posts, read 94,953 times

Advertisements

It's nice to see this thread gets a hit every so often. When I get an email notification, and log in, I end up reading different pages and going "oh yeah, I remember that, and that, and Oh, I did that too"
Makes me wonder if I have crossed paths with any of the peeps here that ran around the Westchester/Bird Road area during the 60's-early 80's...
Thanks every one for posting memories. Its nice to dream again of our beautiful city from the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 05:49 PM

113 posts, read 414,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgtime6 View Post
More 60's - 70's S. Miami memories... Al's News Stand on SW 124 & US1 (great collection of mags to sneak a peek at), across the street was 7-11 & Kwik Chick & Royal Castle (before delivering Miami News on Sunday's at 5am, used to get the 12 RC burgers & split with my brother in the 7-11 parking lot). Got 1st drivers lisence at DMV in Sunniland shopping center, wrecked my dad's '64 Mustang pulling out of the 7-11 parking lot onto SW 124 st. Exploring the canals in boats from the bridge at Old Cutler & SW 173 St, to US1 across from the old Jefferson's (SW 104 st), where we'd fill the boat's gas tank at the American station with "white" gas (unleaded). Boating out of Matheson Hammock to Elliot Key, snorkeling & fishing & drinking beer all day (underage, of course), then going to Steak & Brew (US1 & SW 136 St) where it was free draft beer with dinner (fake ID's), then jerking around trying not to get arrested until 4am when we got home to sleep for 3 hours before dear dad would wake us up to work in the yard, sweating out beer & trying not to fall over from dizziness. My apologies to all whose open garages I walked into to secure the weekend's beer supply. Just so you know what happened to your beer, it got chilled to a refreshing 89 degrees at the bottom of some canal secured by fishing line (notably 10 lb. monofilament) before being comsumed by future adults. And when those garage doors were closed, there was always the Lil General on SW 132 St or the Utotem somewhere off SW 156 St west of US1, that would delight in selling a 6-pack for 5-10 dollars (that was when 6-packs were maybe $2).

All the music concerts at U of M, Miami Fronton, Pirate's World, Hollywood Speedway. Dressler's Dairy Farm on Milam Dairy Rd just west of the MIA runways where they had a train we'd ride around on. And Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor near Miami Beach. And my dad's favorite, the Red Diamond on Le Jeune near the airport, where we saw Jackie Gleason once.

Does anyone remember Brown's airport, the small private airport with a grass runway just east of SW 77 Ave & about SW 106 St?? I used to ride my bicycle there & walk around the Pipers & Cessnas, opening the doors and looking inside. Can you imagine anyone trying to do that today?? Also walking around the neighborhood with my BB gun shooting at stuff - sure would not want to try that today...

Dixie Drivein... great place to sit on the back concrete wall with your high school girlfriend & watch a movie.

My 1st job at 16 was at Fill-R-Up car wash at 18210 S. Dixie in beautiful downtown Perrine. Free gas & car washes for empolyees & friends (until what goes around came around, and we lost our jobs, from the least to the greatest). Amazing what you did as a kid... Amazing I made it through alive. Best thing I ever did was get out of Miami & go WAY away to college & grow up. But the memories I have of those years are beyond description. I could not imagine a better life.....
Reading this makes one think how great Miami IS/WAS ?
If Jackie Gleason were alive today, would he still love living in Miami ?
To you Miami Natives, surely the city has changed, some say for better or worse.
What you say ?

Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 PM

370 posts, read 950,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vai Frente View Post
Reading this makes one think how great Miami IS/WAS ?
If Jackie Gleason were alive today, would he still love living in Miami ?
To you Miami Natives, surely the city has changed, some say for better or worse.
What you say ?

I lived in Miami when Jackie Gleason was alive, and I recall, not certain, that he lived in MB, not SoBe. I guess that he would have loved modern Miami since he was not a yokel, had enough money to live a sheltered and insulated life and he was loved by all.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 14,528 times
I LOVE ARANGO! It's still there, still with cool euro-contemporary stuff.

Also was on Duck Duck Goose! (Weren't we all?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by box*of*rain View Post
Duck Duck Goose! I was on it!

Arango at Dadeland. Loved that store. Funky furniture and home accessories. Possibly still there? Not sure as I haven't been in that mall in at least a dozen years! Went once to the Apple store and couldn't find parking, so I left. The place was a madhouse!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadydangel View Post
I LOVE ARANGO! It's still there, still with cool euro-contemporary stuff.

Also was on Duck Duck Goose! (Weren't we all?)
No but was on Skipper Chuck, or as we said, skip and upchuck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjVpxqoO4Co

Old 07-12-2013, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,864 times
great memories the Village Mall was my home away from home from about 1970-1980. It was a Winn Dixie then. And my favorite place was called The Smoke Shop. There they sold, comics, magazines, records etc...I also remember the pet shop and the lady that owned it as I remember was kind of grumpy. A Carvel also and later a Walgreens on the end opposite the Winn Dixie. Across the street the library. And the restaurant was dark I want to say some kind of steak house but I cannot remember the name.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,620 times
Default The Edge & Skylight

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
How about The Edge in Ft Lauderdale?

Skylight Express at the Town and Country Mall (dress to impress at skylight express) LOL!

Amnesia in SoBe (that was more around the early 90s)...
I owned those clubs. Fun times. I hope they were for you too.

Gary

Old 08-18-2013, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,775 times
I was born in Miami in the mid 1960's. Grew up in Kendall near Miami Dade Comminuty College, off 107th Ave. I left Miami and moved out of state in 1987. Wow, how it's changed since the 1970's when I grew up.

My favorite store for a long time as a kid was Golden Triangle (mentioned a few times above in this thread) behind the theaters across from Dadeland. I bought lots of fishing gear there. I remember fishing the canals and shooting .22s in west kendall when Don Carter's was about at the end of civilization. Fun stuff.

Seems like things started to change around the time of the boat lift, and then even more so in the 80's with all the drugs. Sad. The city now just seems hurried, unpleasant and even hostile, and certainly corrupt.....

I visited last year and went to the Falls shopping center with my wife and daughter. Spanish is the primary language being spoken all over now. I was in a store and without missing a beat the sales guy asked where we were visiting from? I suppose since we are english speaking Anglos, he just assumed... I laughed about it at first, and then felt sad later since my family had ties to the area since the 1930's or even before. It made me think of the the bumper sticker from the 80's that said "Will the last American leaving Miami Please bring the flag."

I may still retire back to Florida, but not Miami. Maybe the southwest coast, Naples/Ft Myers/Sarasota perhaps. Miami is an interesting place to visit like all big cities (LA, Chicago, NYC), but I wouldn't want to live there (again).

Old 08-18-2013, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,620 times
Smile Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRicotta View Post
great memories the Village Mall was my home away from home from about 1970-1980. It was a Winn Dixie then. And my favorite place was called The Smoke Shop. There they sold, comics, magazines, records etc...I also remember the pet shop and the lady that owned it as I remember was kind of grumpy. A Carvel also and later a Walgreens on the end opposite the Winn Dixie. Across the street the library. And the restaurant was dark I want to say some kind of steak house but I cannot remember the name.
Wow, that is amazing. I remember Tony in the smoke shop, the grumpy old lady in the pet shop, Carvel, Winn Dixie, and in the parking lot was a Chicken Unlimited. Used to love their barb-q fried chicken.

What memories!

Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 PM

289 posts, read 450,552 times
Default Steak and Ale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRicotta View Post
Used to eat there a lot with my dad. Think they had a decent salad bar. Yes...the grumpy lady who owned the pet shop. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami