Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 01:15 PM

41 posts, read 75,951 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/op...a-little-.html

my response

first of all, anyone who lives in paris (she does) thinks the rest of the world's cities are crapholes

second, anyone who has left miami for good will nod in agreement with her points about materialism/consumption

third, her smug and condescending attitude are a product of the miami that she tries to distance herself from (miami breeds snobs just like her)

fourth, she is just another poseur who claims to hate miami when in fact she loves it. anyone who visits miami for weeks in the summer, its most unpleasant season, clearly loves the place

finally, her ivy league degrees and time spent in cities full of intellectualism did nothing for her critical thinking skills, as this vapid piece of prose makes her sound like a classist jerk.

pam should stay in paris.

miami has enough people full of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 02:27 PM

68 posts, read 97,462 times
To be fair, the more I encounter the NYT the more snooty its become. People like Pamela are the reason why it has become so. I agree with you anhinga, she is vapid but she's smug. You hit the nail on the head that she's a product of everything she rants about in the article vis a vis Miami. I don't know if the city bred it in her, or if she is a product of a people dissatisfied with their lives and choose to blame everything around them. I feel like people like her remind me of people I encounter who hate America. They're the same people who will argue with me about cowboy diplomacy, about how we're all fat and how none of us can find our country on a map. Sure, there are Americans who fit that criteria, maybe lots = but do not generalize the whole country. She is generalizing the whole city based on her little experience, which sounds wholly biased since she claims to spurn Miami so much. Anyways, I'm sure Pamela is enjoying her life whereverthehell she lives, and i'm sure she loves to attack Miami whenever people are excited to visit it or talk about how it might be nice to live here. Thats her prerogative, as it is mine to ignore the NYT opinion pieces which sound more like they're catering to the obnoxious, spoiled people who I hear are ruining NYC by the month.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:31 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,418,869 times
Paris is very dirty you smell urine everywhere. Id rather live in the French Riviera.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:04 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Yea I read, not a fan of it. Btu whatever. Less clicks it gets the less it will be popular right?

Old 08-11-2014, 05:05 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhinga3 View Post
third, her smug and condescending attitude are a product of the miami that she tries to distance herself from (miami breeds snobs just like her)
Some of the stuff she said sounded flat-out ignorant. I mean really, "Miami English"? What a way to generalize about an entire ethnic group. I'm hispanic and even when I was young I never used "Miami English".

Old 08-11-2014, 05:40 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
I'm not sure I'd say she "trashed" Miami. Nothing in the article particularly irked me as being horrendously disparaging. Far worse things have been said about the 305 than this.

Only thing really overall about the article was it seems like kinda an idle juvenile musing that added up to essentially nothing. After reading it, the only response I really have is "can I have my two minutes back"?

That and, of course there was no Neiman Marcus in Miami in the fifties. NM didn't open a store anywhere outside Texas until 1971 and then guess where their first out of state store was? Bal Harbour! Just shows the writer didn't even bother to wiki her factoids. Make me wonder how dodos like that get jobs at the NYT. Perhaps the "Miami way"?

Old 08-11-2014, 06:26 PM

683 posts, read 852,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhinga3 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/op...a-little-.html

my response

first of all, anyone who lives in paris (she does) thinks the rest of the world's cities are crapholes

second, anyone who has left miami for good will nod in agreement with her points about materialism/consumption

fourth, she is just another poseur who claims to hate miami when in fact she loves it. anyone who visits miami for weeks in the summer, its most unpleasant season, clearly loves the place

finally, her ivy league degrees and time spent in cities full of intellectualism did nothing for her critical thinking skills, as this vapid piece of prose makes her sound like a classist jerk.

pam should stay in paris.

miami has enough people full of themselves.
Fifth. She is not hot. But I think Miami is a great city to visit and have fun in. Just not to live and work.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:04 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I'm not sure I'd say she "trashed" Miami. Nothing in the article particularly irked me as being horrendously disparaging. Far worse things have been said about the 305 than this.

Only thing really overall about the article was it seems like kinda an idle juvenile musing that added up to essentially nothing. After reading it, the only response I really have is "can I have my two minutes back"?

That and, of course there was no Neiman Marcus in Miami in the fifties. NM didn't open a store anywhere outside Texas until 1971 and then guess where their first out of state store was? Bal Harbour! Just shows the writer didn't even bother to wiki her factoids. Make me wonder how dodos like that get jobs at the NYT. Perhaps the "Miami way"?
Yea I think she needs to a history lesson on Miami in the 1920s and 1930s and what the city offered. Even in the 1900s. She does realize this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Palm_Hotel_(Miami) was in Miami way before 1950 right?
http://floridamemory.com/fpc/reference/rc08600.jpg

Also she stated "Miami may one day be the city for normal-looking people with semi-intellectual aspirations and a mild social conscience. But it’s not there yet."

Did she just insult the whole city? Sorry we are not intellectual enough for you.... Glad someone with that type of attitude lives in France.

Last edited by FlyMIA; 08-11-2014 at 07:14 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Only thing really overall about the article was it seems like kinda an idle juvenile musing that added up to essentially nothing.
I agree, I don't know her other work but this sounded like it came from a teenager with little life experience. She does sound a little over the place. I am still trying to figure out what the purpose of her article was. I guess she wanted to find her inner intellectual self here? "I wanted to fall for the place" she said. "But still, compared with the Miamians, I felt practically deformed. And I struggled to have conversations that weren’t about real estate or consumption. There was a lot of pleasure in Miami, but not enough surprising interactions and ideas"
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post

Also she stated "Miami may one day be the city for normal-looking people with semi-intellectual aspirations and a mild social conscience. But it’s not there yet."
Did she just insult the whole city? Sorry we are not intellectual enough for you...
She seems to have a black and white mentality. Europe = great, Miami = bad. People see the things they want to see. For whatever reason being an "intellectual" is very important to her and Miami is not an old enough city to meet her standards of "intellectual" history. I honestly haven't read any other of her works but this piece is so irrational it makes me think that she still has a lot to learn or she's just a pseudo intellectual.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:41 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Typical elitist snob, she belongs in Paris. And no wonder NY Times published this-New Yorkers are incredibly rude, arrogant, and condescending. No wonder it was recently rated the most unhappy big city in the US. Nobody there can relax or think positively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami