Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:51 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
I just made the appointment. Last year I had to renew my license. I went to the one where I posted earlier. Get there I waited all about five minutes to go in. About 10 minutes for all the new crap. They ask you for more things now as far as ID and utility bill. I'm a US citizen so I had problem. So it was a 15 minute wait for everything.
Yeah, I don't know what all this wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth is about (not to mention the suggestion to drive to Naples, lol). I posted about my experience last fall when my wife and I had to get Florida DLs for the first time:

//www.city-data.com/forum/31761806-post2.html

As I posted previously, we made an appointment, skipped the long line when we arrived, and were in and out in about 15-20 minutes. After having gone through this in Maryland and Nevada over the past few years, this was definitely the easiest, most efficiently run operation we encountered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 01:01 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,897,831 times
My experiences mirrored MadMan's except my location was by Tamiami airport and I even went a few times without an appointment. Everyone was very friendly too.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:20 PM

179 posts, read 325,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yeah, I don't know what all this wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth is about (not to mention the suggestion to drive to Naples, lol). I posted about my experience last fall when my wife and I had to get Florida DLs for the first time:

As I posted previously, we made an appointment, skipped the long line when we arrived, and were in and out in about 15-20 minutes. After having gone through this in Maryland and Nevada over the past few years, this was definitely the easiest, most efficiently run operation we encountered.
On the other hand, like I said earlier, I had a very bad experience (in terms of time) at the North Miami Justice Center DMV, which is probably the one that is closest to the OP. I made an appointment for 1:30 pm and I got there 15 minutes early, since the paper I'd printed off said that you can do that. They had two lines, one for people with appointments and one for people without an appointment or who'd received a summons. There were three people working, but only two handling people from the appointment line. I was the 4th person back in the line, and I walked out of there around 3:00 pm. Now, everyone was very nice, but an hour and a half from beginning to end sucked, especially since we were stuck standing the whole time. I have back problems, and my back was killing me by the time I was done. At least in Atlanta, they had seats and called your number. I actually posted to my Facebook that I was amazed that I was looking back on my experience in Atlanta and wishing my Florida experience had been as good.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:43 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Yeah, my suggestion of going to Naples is a bit extreme.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:12 PM

21 posts, read 44,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
You are better off just doing the appointment. If anything if you are pulled over carry the appointment in your glove compartment. Most cops if they are not an a hole will let you go. The one below takes appointments only, but is very swift. It says Hialeah, but it's more like the Miami Lakes area which with no traffic it's not far from North Miami. New thing with getting Licenses. You have to have a passport and a utility bill to confirm your address. They tell you what you need on the website below.

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

18400 N.W. 75th Place, Suite 106
Hialeah, FL 33015
It actually doesn't say appointment only for this location, are you sure? From the list only the North Dade Justice center indicates appointment only.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:39 AM

21 posts, read 44,224 times
Just got back from the Miami Lakes license center. Had to stand in a slightly longer line since I didn't have an appointment, only took about 10-15 minutes for that. Then had my documents checked, took a number and waited another 10 minutes to get called for the picture and other info. Overall took about 50 minutes to get everything done, the line seemed to get much bigger after I left though.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:29 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
^^^ That is not bad at all especially for not having an appointment.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:46 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
The amazing thing is that despite a growing population there are LESS driver's license offices than in 1986 when I took my driving test. I had to get an appointment through "oasis" to take my mom to renew her license. The process took an hour at coral reef and it happened to rain that day. When I originally went there it was less time to take the written test and the driving test.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:34 AM

400 posts, read 515,443 times
I went to the one on NW 79th Street and 27th Avenue, no appointment. The initial line wasn't that bad, it is the wait for the second line that will take hours (2 or 3) but You can guesstimate the pace at which they are calling the numbers and do some minor shopping in the meantime.

There are a few sites that open on Saturday - it will show in the hours for each location. Adding to what's already been said, try and be there when they open. And if it is first License in Florida, bring all documents to prove You are legally in the State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami