Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 05:13 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times

Advertisements

internal crime -- I'm not for drugs but I do know that no food stamps for the drug idiots would hurt the little food their kids eat . I say eradicate the drugs - go spend money on that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 05:22 PM

498 posts, read 977,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
internal crime -- I'm not for drugs but I do know that no food stamps for the drug idiots would hurt the little food their kids eat . I say eradicate the drugs - go spend money on that!
Druggies sell their food stamps to people for cash so they can buy drugs. I've seen it happen, they'll offer a friend $100 worth of groceries (or whatever amount) in exchange for $50 cash. The kid goes hungry while the parent gets high. While I think drug testing is an okay interim measure to help reduce this, there needs to be a big overhaul in how benefits like this are allocated and to ensure proper usage.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:54 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami3 View Post
Do you have a LINK for this post? Because I was under the impression that this Law was struck down by the courts already. Please don't create posts unless you have a news source related to subjects like this.
The unconstitutional law proposed by Florida's corrupt governor has definitively been struck down on appeal. Perhaps now that his ideas have been shown to be illegal, and he's through campaigning, he can go back to doing a lousy job as governor before he starts pouring his money into running for president. Maybe he could even find some money to fix an interstate that feels like it's in the third world and continues to ruin cars.

Carl Hiaasen: Court ends Gov. Rick Scott

Federal Appeals Court Just Says No to Florida Welfare Drug Test Law | Alternet

Old 12-07-2014, 08:16 AM

434 posts, read 530,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
After a lot of debates Miami and Florida state will be the first state in the union that will require drug testing to receive welfare. The Rep. Rick Scott "If Floridians want welfare, they better make sure they are drug-free."
Applicants must pay for the drug test, but are reimbursed if they test drug-free.
Applicants who test positive for illicit substances, won't be eligible for the funds for a year, or until they undergo treatment. Those who fail a second time will be banned from receiving funds for three years!
Naturally, a few people are crying this is unconstitutional. How is this unconstitutional? It's a legal requirement that every person applying for a job has to pass drug tests in order to get the job, why not those who receive welfare?

Let's get welfare back to the ones who need it, not to those who won't get a job.
I AGREE, DO YOU?
Yes, because people who are unable to keep a job because of substance abuse problems stemming from who knows what, don't need help and are perfectly capable of instantly self-healing and becoming productive taxpayers?

How does that work exactly? How does a person in need of help get the help they need by having the help revoked right when they need it most? Explain that in detail please. Maybe there's some sort of sociological study I missed or something...

Old 12-07-2014, 08:21 AM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,895 times
If you have to be drug tested to get a job, then you should also be required to get drug tested to get welfare. Ridiculous at how so many liberals don't give a darn about personal responsibility. They just want lazy people to free load off everyone else.

Welfare and food stamps should only be available for people who lost their jobs. We need to get rid of all these other forms of government assistance with the exception of Social Security.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:24 AM

I will say this on a related note...

What is allowable to buy with food stamps should be modified to exclude absolute junk like soda, candy, doughnuts, etc. And no like higher end stuff like lobster and filet mignon.

I don't know how to implement such a thing, but they should figure it out.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:28 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
If you have to be drug tested to get a job, then you should also be required to get drug tested to get welfare. Ridiculous at how so many liberals don't give a darn about personal responsibility. They just want lazy people to free load off everyone else.
How about drug testing politicians running for office who will be collecting their salary from taxpayers while snorting cocaine? I didn't hear the governor call for that.

Rep. Trey Radel resigns after drug plea

Old 12-07-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
If you have to be drug tested to get a job,
And see, that's the thing. You don't "have" to be drug tested to be able to make income.

You can simply choose not to work at places that don't drug test. The options are virtually endless.

Someone so screwed in life that they need aid has no alternative. That's why it's called "last resort".

It's a pretty simply concept really. One would think "conservatives" always howling about personal liberty would understand the concept crystal clear.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
How about drug testing politicians running for office who will be collecting their salary from taxpayers while snorting cocaine? I didn't hear the governor call for that.

Rep. Trey Radel resigns after drug plea
A state govt worker should sue under the Equal Protection Clause. If the politicians don't have to be drug and alcohol tested, then nobody working for the govt should.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:43 AM

265 posts, read 402,298 times
Good God I'm sharing this country with a bunch of idiots who don't understand what makes this country so great.

The 4th amendment of our Bill of Rights says that unfair searches and seizures are illegal. There must be a warrant showing probable cause, clearly stating the person, place, and/or thing(s) being looked for. A drug test by the government administered on any citizens for the reason of "just checking" will never be allowed. Private companies can do this to their own employees or job applicants because they are private companies and not the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: