Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 06:11 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintlaz1 View Post
Yeah I could imagine: this is needed more than any other public works project out there. The people in west Kendall have to deal with all street traffic. Living in west Kendall it's 30 mins just to get to an expressway.

Please Jesus bring on the tolls! I'll gladly pay, also up to Krome between tamiami trail and Kendall drive is not protected Everglades land. Kendall already has communities built up to Krome and it's matter of time that the whole area gets build on.

Any idiot against this project most Rely solely on public transportation right? Taking the metro rail or bus everywhere? Please give me a break. This city is car centric and the suburbs will continue to be car centric not matter how many rail lines there could be.

FYI I'm at this meeting and not one person has spoken against it.

And to your government assistants comment all the communities out west that this expressway will assist is all middle to upper middle class

Please I'd like to hear from someone that actually lives in west Kendall that would be against this.
Could you give a synopsis on what went on tonight? I wasn't able to attend. I'm concerned about this because I live here. A highway wouldn't be good for my home's resale value depending on where they put it. 157th Ave is a possibility which would suck for me. This will be built. I don't think anyone can fight it. But where did it seem they were leaning towards the most? They just keep building and building and building without a care in the world in how this area can sustain so many people and buildings.

Edited to add that I did receive the flyer weeks ago about the meeting tonight.

Last edited by valicky; 09-04-2014 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: Extra info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 06:17 PM

140 posts, read 434,505 times
Just a presentation of the plans and a chance for public to speak ; based on what I heard didn't seem to lean towards one favorable plan just that an expressway in some form is needed. I left already.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:41 PM

67 posts, read 133,662 times
Quote:
Yeah I could imagine: this is needed more than any other public works project out there. The people in west Kendall have to deal with all street traffic. Living in west Kendall it's 30 mins just to get to an expressway.

Please Jesus bring on the tolls! I'll gladly pay, also up to Krome between tamiami trail and Kendall drive is not protected Everglades land. Kendall already has communities built up to Krome and it's matter of time that the whole area gets build on.

Any idiot against this project most Rely solely on public transportation right? Taking the metro rail or bus everywhere? Please give me a break. This city is car centric and the suburbs will continue to be car centric not matter how many rail lines there could be.

FYI I'm at this meeting and not one person has spoken against it.

And to your government assistants comment all the communities out west that this expressway will assist is all middle to upper middle class

Please I'd like to hear from someone that actually lives in west Kendall that would be against this.
How horrifying.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Could you give a synopsis on what went on tonight? I wasn't able to attend. I'm concerned about this because I live here. A highway wouldn't be good for my home's resale value depending on where they put it. 157th Ave is a possibility which would suck for me. This will be built. I don't think anyone can fight it. But where did it seem they were leaning towards the most? They just keep building and building and building without a care in the world in how this area can sustain so many people and buildings.

Edited to add that I did receive the flyer weeks ago about the meeting tonight.
Like always developers were given the green light to build without properly planning the infrastructure before hand. A right of way should have been left for a future expressway to be built. They knew we were going to need one sooner or later with all of the building that has take place out west and all of the building that will continue. I think this project is more about paving the way for development in the Redland than about the residents of West Kendall.

I might also like to add that the proposed extension along Krome Ave. is a done deal. The meetings and studies are all a sham to show that they invite public opinion and are interested in hearing peoples concerns. Why do you think all of the Australian pines along Krome Ave. have been removed? It seems as though the project has already started without anyone realizing it.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:48 PM

I agree about the public meetings being a joke. They're going to do what they're going to do no matter how many citizens complain. Developers own this county. Kendall's just about built. Now they're going to go after the Redlands.

I miss the pines on Krome. I thought they took them down because that's an evacuation route from the Keys. They've been gone for a loooong time.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Just a presentation of the plans and a chance for public to speak ; based on what I heard didn't seem to lean towards one favorable plan just that an expressway in some form is needed. I left already.
Thanks. Was just wondering if one route was favored over another.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
As usual the pressititue local media has no word of this. There is a way to put a stop to this, I have been trying to contact a few environmentalists who have connections. Instead of this ridiculous expressway, how about pushing for the commuter train? Then again the best solution is to do whatever it takes to accelerate the future financial collapse.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:10 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I agree about the public meetings being a joke. They're going to do what they're going to do no matter how many citizens complain. Developers own this county. Kendall's just about built. Now they're going to go after the Redlands.
If enough people complain and get this in the news NOW they can stop this before it goes any further.

When the county tried to use the tracks that run along the 874 from Coral Reef Drive up to Kendall Drive, then running the light rail down the center of Kendall drive to connect to the Dadeland metro rail station, plenty of associations and people came together to fight the county.

So it can be done, but the communities near these areas need to get together now, get their lawyers involved and the most important thing is to show up in mass to these meetings if they want to stop this. Otherwise your right MDX will do what they want, hence the toll hikes.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:39 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
I agree with everything that you have stated. The reason behind the MDX expansion is money. Toll roads generate enormous amounts of money and the projects pay for themselves in no time. Just look at how many times has the Rickenbacker Causeway been payed for because of the toll. The Tri-Rail expansion is not as lucrative because it doesn't generate the same amount of money and probably has more operating cost associated with it but you are right Tri-Rail expansion would be the smarter approach.
Here's the thing though. All Aboard Florida knows a thing or two about how to (potentially) make lots of money on a train. Much of the money they stand to make is due to the real estate development around the stations. MDX, or the County, or the transit agency, or TriRail itself, can make good money if they were actually allowed to invest in real estate along the rail lines. And by invest, I don't mean subsidized income-restricted complexes (which, ironically, always come with large parking garages...). This is how it works in Hong Kong and Tokyo, where their transit agencies actually make profits!

As it is, MDX is a massive Ponzi scheme and should be eliminated or merged into MDT. MDX only stays alive by increasing tolls and expanding toll roads to bring in more revenue...however, once you build more roads with more maintenance, guess what, MDX needs to once again expand or raise tolls in order to survive. Bait and switch has been it's method of operations--Rickenbacker was supposed to eventually be free, there weren't supposed to be tolls on every east/west expressway, ect, ect.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:47 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Like always developers were given the green light to build without properly planning the infrastructure before hand. A right of way should have been left for a future expressway to be built. They knew we were going to need one sooner or later with all of the building that has take place out west and all of the building that will continue. I think this project is more about paving the way for development in the Redland than about the residents of West Kendall.

I might also like to add that the proposed extension along Krome Ave. is a done deal. The meetings and studies are all a sham to show that they invite public opinion and are interested in hearing peoples concerns. Why do you think all of the Australian pines along Krome Ave. have been removed? It seems as though the project has already started without anyone realizing it.
That's the thing. Whenever the public hears about a highway project, it's already a done deal. Whenever the public hears about a transit project, it's 10-20 years down the pipeline, and the NIMBYs have plenty of time to kill the project. Not to mention the public actually has to VOTE on transit expansion, but not highway expansion. Furthermore, when the voters actually do mandate transit expansion and tax ourselves to make it happen, it doesn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami