Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:48 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times

Advertisements

Looks like the crooks at MDX are at it again. More projects to suck toll money from the public at the expense of the environment. Since I travel Krome avenue and have friends in the Redland area, this project is a major concern to me.

Future Projects - MDXWay

Can you imagine them building this through the Everglades, then down to West Kendall? What kind of insane plan is this in an area which has no real future other than pack em in and rely on Government assistance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 08:24 AM

139 posts, read 277,767 times
Rick, which project is it under the link you attached? It wasn't immediately obvious to me.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:38 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
To do the 836 Extension plan through the Everglades they'll have to to Eminent Domain Homes.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:40 AM

604 posts, read 618,437 times
Awful plan.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:58 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Funny, I just got an email from MDX. They are holding a public meeting tonight to discuss just this, the expansion of the 836 south to SW 136 ST. Looks like their serious about this.

Public Kickoff Meeting:
MDX SR 836/Dolphin Expressway Southwest Extension

WHEN:
TONIGHT - September 4th
6:00 PM - 9:00 PM

WHERE:
Miami Baptist Church
(14955 SW 88 Street)

Old 09-04-2014, 01:27 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Extending Tri-rail to Southwest Dade would be a smarter approach. The tracks already exist from Blue Lagoon down to SW 152nd (connecting to Zoo Miami) and beyond, all the way to Homestead, no eminent domain needed, just build the stations!!! Think of what a game changer Tri-rail service would be to southwest and south Dade! Instead, MDX's 1980's mentality will ensure that all those cars using the new expressway are just going to end up getting stuck on the Dolphin and the Palmetto. Any time you would save vs. taking the 'Pike will be eliminated by increased congestion on the Dolphin and Palmetto.

Has anyone stopped to think that we have an urban development boundary for a reason? Any new development in southwest Dade will be affected by the rising water table and associated flooding and sinkholes, due to sea level rise. We are going to have enough trouble and expense in the decades ahead keeping our current developed land dry.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:40 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Extending Tri-rail to Southwest Dade would be a smarter approach. The tracks already exist from Blue Lagoon down to SW 152nd (connecting to Zoo Miami) and beyond, all the way to Homestead, no eminent domain needed, just build the stations!!! Think of what a game changer Tri-rail service would be to southwest and south Dade! Instead, MDX's 1980's mentality will ensure that all those cars using the new expressway are just going to end up getting stuck on the Dolphin and the Palmetto. Any time you would save vs. taking the 'Pike will be eliminated by increased congestion on the Dolphin and Palmetto.

Has anyone stopped to think that we have an urban development boundary for a reason? Any new development in southwest Dade will be affected by the rising water table and associated flooding and sinkholes, due to sea level rise. We are going to have enough trouble and expense in the decades ahead keeping our current developed land dry.
Those idiots could have used the existing FEC right of way from the airport to Dadeland, but instead are selling parts of it for development. I have asked for a rail expansion through the original right of ways and an elimination of the busway in favor of a Metrorail expansion, but they don't care about that. MDX is a scam to increase revenue along existing long paid for roads and enrich established interests. Building a feeder to Krome is all they want to get more of your $$$$$. The more sensible thing would be to convert Krome to a divided 4 lane road and build a new rail for the commuters.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:45 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post

I agree with everything that you have stated. The reason behind the MDX expansion is money. Toll roads generate enormous amounts of money and the projects pay for themselves in no time. Just look at how many times has the Rickenbacker Causeway been payed for because of the toll. The Tri-Rail expansion is not as lucrative because it doesn't generate the same amount of money and probably has more operating cost associated with it but you are right Tri-Rail expansion would be the smarter approach.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:36 PM

140 posts, read 434,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Looks like the crooks at MDX are at it again. More projects to suck toll money from the public at the expense of the environment. Since I travel Krome avenue and have friends in the Redland area, this project is a major concern to me.

Future Projects - MDXWay

Can you imagine them building this through the Everglades, then down to West Kendall? What kind of insane plan is this in an area which has no real future other than pack em in and rely on Government assistance?
Yeah I could imagine: this is needed more than any other public works project out there. The people in west Kendall have to deal with all street traffic. Living in west Kendall it's 30 mins just to get to an expressway.

Please Jesus bring on the tolls! I'll gladly pay, also up to Krome between tamiami trail and Kendall drive is not protected Everglades land. Kendall already has communities built up to Krome and it's matter of time that the whole area gets build on.

Any idiot against this project most Rely solely on public transportation right? Taking the metro rail or bus everywhere? Please give me a break. This city is car centric and the suburbs will continue to be car centric not matter how many rail lines there could be.

FYI I'm at this meeting and not one person has spoken against it.

And to your government assistants comment all the communities out west that this expressway will assist is all middle to upper middle class

Please I'd like to hear from someone that actually lives in west Kendall that would be against this.

Last edited by saintlaz1; 09-04-2014 at 05:53 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 05:50 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintlaz1 View Post
Yeah I could imagine: this is needed more than any other public works project out there. The people in west Kendall have to deal with all street traffic. Living in west Kendall it's 30 mins just to get to an expressway.

Please Jesus bring on the tolls! I'll gladly pay, also up to Krome between tamiami trail and Kendall drive is not protected Everglades land. Kendall already has communities built up to Krome and it's matter of time that the whole area gets build on.

Any idiot against this project most Rely solely on public transportation right? Taking the metro rail or bus everywhere? Please give me a break. This city is car centric and the suburbs will continue to be car centric not matter how many rail lines there could be.

FYI I'm at this meeting and not one person has spoken against it.

And to your government assistants comment all the communities out west that this expressway will assist is all middle to upper class
This is why we a screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami