Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2007, 11:57 PM

7 posts, read 38,299 times

Advertisements

I am a 26 year old single woman who is looking to locate to Florida at some point during this winter. I am trying to research the various areas of the state and have been told that I may like miami. I do hold a degree in professional communications, but I'd ideally like to start graduate school within the next semester to pursue a degree in education. I'd like to teach younger children as a long term goal. I am looking for an area with DECENT public transportation as I unfortunately can't drive due to having Epilepsy (i am otherwise healthy). Also, I know some people say it doesn't matter, but I'm a lesbian so I would prefer to live in an area that is very "gay friendly". any information that you could give me about tampa neighborhoods, colleges, friendliness levels, etc would be greatly appreciated! i want to try to get down south by april! i have been to miami, but only to south beach for vacation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 03:34 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetrunjibbz8l View Post
... I am looking for an area with DECENT public transportation ...
You either have to stay in Boston, go to New York, San Francisco or possibly Chicago, or leave the US altogether.

Your best bet in the Miami area would be to go to the University of Miami in Coral Gables and later hope to land a job in Miami Beach or downtown/Brickell. That is a tall order. First, I would check whether UM specializes in graduate education. Overall, though, in your case I would not recommend Miami.

You may have better chances in Tampa where there are a few threads on walkability, though I'm not sure how easy it is to commute from the few walkable neighborhoods to the universities that may interest you.

DECENT public transportation in the US, Florida in particular? ....

Good luck!

Old 12-26-2007, 04:30 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,035 times
You really need a car in this state it`s nothing like new York or Boston when it comes to transportation.

Do some serious research before you come here.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:13 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
You either have to stay in Boston, go to New York, San Francisco or possibly Chicago, or leave the US altogether.

Your best bet in the Miami area would be to go to the University of Miami in Coral Gables and later hope to land a job in Miami Beach or downtown/Brickell. That is a tall order. First, I would check whether UM specializes in graduate education. Overall, though, in your case I would not recommend Miami.

You may have better chances in Tampa where there are a few threads on walkability, though I'm not sure how easy it is to commute from the few walkable neighborhoods to the universities that may interest you.

DECENT public transportation in the US, Florida in particular? ....

Good luck!
He pretty much nailed it^^^

Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 PM

227 posts, read 728,377 times
Unfortunately I would have to agree with the previous posters. Mass transport in Miami is lacking. FIU is west of the city and is most easily accessed by car. UM (univ of Miami) is central and does have the Metro and if you live around there it's not bad but since UM is rather expensive for an education in an area they aren't specialized in I'm not sure if I would recommend it.
As far as being a lesbian in Miami that you'd be fine with it definitely is very gay friendly.
Definitely do very careful research. Good luck

Old 12-29-2007, 08:14 AM

25 posts, read 79,702 times
Quote:
I am a 26 year old single woman who is looking to locate to Florida at some point during this winter. I am trying to research the various areas of the state and have been told that I may like miami. I do hold a degree in professional communications, but I'd ideally like to start graduate school within the next semester to pursue a degree in education. I'd like to teach younger children as a long term goal. I am looking for an area with DECENT public transportation as I unfortunately can't drive due to having Epilepsy (i am otherwise healthy). Also, I know some people say it doesn't matter, but I'm a lesbian so I would prefer to live in an area that is very "gay friendly". any information that you could give me about tampa neighborhoods, colleges, friendliness levels, etc would be greatly appreciated! i want to try to get down south by april! i have been to miami, but only to south beach for vacation!
That's funny, because my wife and I are thinking of moving the other way (Miami to Boston).

Nowhere in Miami really has decent public transportation, unless you live close to the Metrorail (which is basically just one line). Public transportation here is nothing like as good as Boston's, for example. I really cannot emphasize enough that for the most part, you really need a car down here. Miami is very pedestrian unfriendly in general and not very walkable....and this is partly why I want to leave.

In saying that, if you could find somewhere decent, close to the Metrorail, you may be able to get by (South Miami, perhaps?). I still say that you pretty much NEED a car here, which is messed up as personally, I would rather take the train to work, if I had the choice.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:29 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,989 times
Quote:
...but I'm a lesbian so I would prefer to live in an area that is very "gay friendly".
I was looking for the same thing when I moved to Miami...a "gayborhood". Miami seems fairly gay-friendly overall, but South Beach is VERY liberal and I see many, many openly gay people on a daily basis. There is even a gay beach on 12th Street. Unfortunately though, the vast majority of the gays are men and almost all of the gay clubs are for men. You have a dig a little deeper to find where the lesbians go. Several clubs have a "girls who like girls night" once a week (Fridays at The Office on Miami Beach, for example), so you just kind of have to keep an eye out for those. I think you'd enjoy Miami though, and, from one lesbian to another, I'd highly recommend South Beach. I'm not sure I'd live anywhere else. Good luck and message me with any questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami