Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:48 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have the latest number of murders for the city of Miami? I'm debating with someone who thinks Miami has a huge murder rate and actually JAX had a higher rate than Miami recently. I told him try New Orleans (pop. 311,000) which is aproaching 80 murders so far into the 5 month of the year and has about 120,000 fewer people than Miami does!

PS: "the First 48" is a good show!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 01:08 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy Mongo View Post
Well have you watched the show on A&E called "The First 48" ? Its about real detectives solving brutal homicides in there city, and usually the cities that are showcased are Miami and Memphis. The areas they show in Miami are scary.

Maybe we can start a new slogan "Miami , hey at least its not Los Angeles"

The LA times has something on there website called "the homicide report" and it shows where the murders happened and who was killed and how they were killed. I have several connections working at The Miami Herald and Im thinking about pitching that idea for one of the reporters to do a Miami Homicide report. Perhaps that would open more eyes and maybe more can be done about all the homicides.
Miami's homicide rate is FAR HIGHER than it is Los Angeles, where violent crime is currently at 40 year lows.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:00 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,348 times
Just a little bit of history for those that long for a non existing past:
You can download the PDF here:
SpringerLink - Journal Article

Abstract: Most citizens mistakenly believe that violence in the 1980’s is greater than it has ever been and yearn for the “good o1′ days” when society was peaceful and less violent.

This study examines historical trends in the level of violent death (homicide, suicide and accident) in Dade County from 1917 to 1982 and compares those trends with other counties in Florida and the U.S. as a whole.

The study utilized data from death certificates and from accounts of homicides in the Miami Herald. Results indicate that the two peak periods of violence were 1925–6 and 1980. However, the level of violence was five times higher (for homicides, suicides and accidents combined) in 1925–6 than in 1980. The homicide and accident peaks in 1925–6 were not limited to Dade County, as all counties in South Florida (and other Florida counties to a lessor extent) experienced the same peak in 1925–6. Though the level of homicide was higher in 1925–6, there was no difference in pattern of homicides for the 1925–6 and 1980 periods. It appears that all types of homicides were greater during the 1925–6 period.

The explanation for the inordinate level of violent death in 1925–6 includes a focus on the stress created by the land boom, the “bust”, and the hurricane. The 1980 peak in homicides is partially accounted for by the Mariel boatlift, the riot of May, 1980, and the general crisis atmosphere brought on by these events and the rapidly increasing overall crime rate.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 18,134 times
Miami cant be that bad because it wasnt even listed as one of the top 10 most dangerous cities in America. If you ask me I think Chicago is a lot worse then Miami. Im from Oakland,Ca and my city was listed as number five on the list of most dangerous cities. The number 8 spot went to another Bay area city right next to Oakland. Richmond, Ca. Its nothing to be proud of because I love the "Yay Area" and I always feel safe out here.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:05 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,205 times
miami dade has had 131 homicides as of today. dont know what area these numbers include.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,492,893 times
All thanks to the surrounding areas of Overtown.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:04 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
miami dade has had 131 homicides as of today. dont know what area these numbers include.
I'm on another website where murder stats are kept up and if you think that number is bad check out the following:

Miami Dade county (population 2.4 million) murders 131
New Orleans parish ( population 350,000) murders 114 as of 7/14/09

Old 07-15-2009, 10:22 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I'm on another website where murder stats are kept up and if you think that number is bad check out the following:

Miami Dade county (population 2.4 million) murders 131
New Orleans parish ( population 350,000) murders 114 as of 7/14/09

never said it was bad. but we prob will end the year with 240 like the last 5 years. i dont think it includes the city of Miami either. just miami dade and unincorporated miami dade.

and what site?

Old 08-16-2009, 08:41 PM

40 posts, read 111,827 times
thank you black for saying that it is totally true and i hate how everyone compares miami to ny or nyc or some other state..and those are the deaths that they know about theres alot more that nobody knows so thats not totally accurate

Old 12-02-2010, 04:54 PM

5 posts, read 11,634 times
Default i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
I know but 86 is still pretty low you would think it would be higher with the way people talk about Miami being dangerous city.

i understand 86 is low but think about it like this--lets say if your best friends and family were victims in that 86..dangerous...NY is a huge place alot of people...LA is a huge city alot of people...they both out populate miami..and thier are more riches...that means thier wil be more crimes and homicide...you realy cant say if its scary or not based on the crimes if you didnt see them 4 your self..its not only homicides that make it dangerous but the armed robberies and break in's ..i live in the miami..and the thugs are every were..if you look at them they would try to kill you...experience i had to face...the hatians are terrible..killing police offers ..and tying them up and throwen them in to the lakes of opalocka..so think bout how scary it is when your up close..ITS DANGEROUS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami