Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 04:59 PM

4 posts, read 6,379 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys! I know there are a lot of posts about this but since things change and the posts I saw aren't that recent, I figured I'd reach out through this post!

I currently live in Fort Lauderdale but have decided to move down to Brickell or Midtown. Fort Lauderdale is nice but since moving here I've found that it's not that easy to meet people or to make new friends. And from what I've heard down south is a lot easier. But I'm still trying to figure out the best place to live and since moving sucks, I don't want to have to do it over and over, which is why I need some help!

I'm 28 years old and single and I want to be somewhere where it's easy to meet people (both friends and dating). I don't really care much for the club scene but like going to bars, happy hours, etc. As long as it's not a "tuntz tuntz" place (same techno music playing the whole night) I like it. I've asked around and I keep getting mixed answers. Some people say I should definitely live in Midtown near Edgewater or Wynwood and others say I should live in Brickell. So can you guys help me with some advice??

Also, from what I've seen both in Brickell and Midtown, you need to know the best areas to live in, because there are some sketchy places, like close to Overtown. I went to Midtown for a party and I saw some areas that didn't look very safe or friendly, so a little help with that would also be great

Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 05:11 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luasj View Post
Hi Guys! I know there are a lot of posts about this but since things change and the posts I saw aren't that recent, I figured I'd reach out through this post!

I currently live in Fort Lauderdale but have decided to move down to Brickell or Midtown. Fort Lauderdale is nice but since moving here I've found that it's not that easy to meet people or to make new friends. And from what I've heard down south is a lot easier. But I'm still trying to figure out the best place to live and since moving sucks, I don't want to have to do it over and over, which is why I need some help!

I'm 28 years old and single and I want to be somewhere where it's easy to meet people (both friends and dating). I don't really care much for the club scene but like going to bars, happy hours, etc. As long as it's not a "tuntz tuntz" place (same techno music playing the whole night) I like it. I've asked around and I keep getting mixed answers. Some people say I should definitely live in Midtown near Edgewater or Wynwood and others say I should live in Brickell. So can you guys help me with some advice??

Also, from what I've seen both in Brickell and Midtown, you need to know the best areas to live in, because there are some sketchy places, like close to Overtown. I went to Midtown for a party and I saw some areas that didn't look very safe or friendly, so a little help with that would also be great

Thanks so much!
What is your budget? where is your work going to be? Both areas have bars and happy hours.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:18 PM

4 posts, read 6,379 times
I currently work in Plantation so I'll have to commute anyways. But I'm fine with that. I'll probably look for a new job closer to where I live after a while. My current roommate might be moving with me. We currently pay $2,000 for a 2 bed/2 bath but I know that it will probably be a little more so I'm guessing the budget will be around $2,300. If I move by myself my budget for a 1bed/1bath would be around $1,300-$1,400. I know I can't get anything very good for less than that.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:49 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,829 times
Quote:
I currently work in Plantation so I'll have to commute anyways. But I'm fine with that. I'll probably look for a new job closer to where I live after a while. My current roommate might be moving with me. We currently pay $2,000 for a 2 bed/2 bath but I know that it will probably be a little more so I'm guessing the budget will be around $2,300. If I move by myself my budget for a 1bed/1bath would be around $1,300-$1,400. I know I can't get anything very good for less than that.
Do u have a pet? I like midtown because theres a large space and u can walk to restaurants and other places like target which Brickell doesnt have nearby. You can also drive to the beach its closer.

1300-1400 would be hard to get. Its mostly starting around 1600/month for a 1/1 and 1500 for studio in Midtown. Brickell prices are slightly higher. Midtown would be n easier commute to Plantation

Old 10-18-2014, 06:31 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Brickell, hands down.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:14 PM

236 posts, read 388,724 times
Quote:

Thanks so much!
Stay in Broward County it's a lot nicer than Dade. The people, traffic, basically everything is better in Broward. I used to live a block from Las Olas but moved to Coconut Grove to be closer to my job in Brickell. I sometimes think about moving back to Fort Lauderdale but can't stand the thought of the commute.

If you currently live in Plantation I would recommend moving to the Las Olas area of Fort Lauderdale.

Brickell is an overhyped, overbuilt, overpriced, poorly planned dump trying be a downtown but isn't. They are currently building the large City Centre Complex in Brickell which will basically be a massive self-contained mall complex. This mall even has skywalks crossing the streets so no one will need to go outside. Real downtowns have life on the street but in Miami they rather construct large self-contained malls. Many of the condos and office buildings in Brickell are set back a distance from the sidewalk so there is not as much interaction with pedestrians walking the street and ground level restaurants and stores. The restaurants in Brickell also suck, with the exception of a few high end steakhouses.

If you need to move to Miami I would recommend Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, or Midtown. The Coral Way area is also growing and has some decent bars and restaurants.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:01 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
Stay in Broward County it's a lot nicer than Dade. The people, traffic, basically everything is better in Broward. I used to live a block from Las Olas but moved to Coconut Grove to be closer to my job in Brickell. I sometimes think about moving back to Fort Lauderdale but can't stand the thought of the commute.

If you currently live in Plantation I would recommend moving to the Las Olas area of Fort Lauderdale.

Brickell is an overhyped, overbuilt, overpriced, poorly planned dump trying be a downtown but isn't. They are currently building the large City Centre Complex in Brickell which will basically be a massive self-contained mall complex. This mall even has skywalks crossing the streets so no one will need to go outside. Real downtowns have life on the street but in Miami they rather construct large self-contained malls. Many of the condos and office buildings in Brickell are set back a distance from the sidewalk so there is not as much interaction with pedestrians walking the street and ground level restaurants and stores. The restaurants in Brickell also suck, with the exception of a few high end steakhouses.

If you need to move to Miami I would recommend Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, or Midtown. The Coral Way area is also growing and has some decent bars and restaurants.
That's a stretch, Brickell a dump, I believe your statement is overhyped

Old 10-18-2014, 11:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Brickell, but I live in Brickell and love it, so maybe it is a biased suggestion.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:51 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Brickell is no dump.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:40 AM

361 posts, read 837,386 times
Is it so hard to make friends in Fort Lauderdale ?
I though it was easier there than in Miami but looks like I was wrong ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami