Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 02:57 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,806,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
This is a completely ignorant comment.
No its not, I am hispanic and that applies to the majority of us. It is what it is. Just look at the more hispanic areas of Miami. They are the ones with the least trees (Hialeah, Westchester, Allapatta, Little Havana, Doral, and West Kendall). Now look at the areas that have the larger concentration of White Americans, non hispanic, (Miami Springs, Miami Shores, Miami Lakes, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay). It also has to do with money but not totally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 04:54 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,886,275 times
Yes, it's totally not ignorant to claim to speak personally for about 400 million people, and to claim that all 400 million people agree on the same thing. That's why stereotypes are smart, and used so often by people who have strong critical analysis skills... Racial generalizations make for smart comments. That's why they are used so often on City-Data in the most random of circumstances, like when discussing the disappearance of a species of tree. By the way, did you know all Asian people hate flowers? That's why when you look at a picture of the busiest part of Tokyo, you don't see flowers in the middle of it.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:16 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,737,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
That lot was known to my dad since the early 60's when my dad told me it was for sale for 800.00 at the time due to a recession. That lot shot up in value and was sold for over 100 thousand in the late 70's to someone presumably a drug dealer, only to be sold again sometime in the early 80's. I was told that the lot has been transferred around the family since and I too am amazed it has not been built on. There is nothing preventing it from it being developed and I am sure it will be soon if the Fed keeps pumping the real estate bubble in Miami. That whole area was a second growth pine rockland that was cleared of its palmettoes and developed with nice 1 acre estate homes. Unlike today's developments, the entire square mile remains extremely desireable and always will, long after the zero-lot "luxury" homes are abandoned to the possums. That lot is among the highest elevations in Miami-Dade county. When the original developer sold lots in "Sunkist Estates" they left the biggest pines to add to the appeal of the lots. At one time almost every home there had pines, Years of lawn maintenance and construction damage have caused pine beetles to kill most of the pines except on that corner lot that was not maintained, More native pines were along the 874 expressway but MDX destroyed them to make "improvements". You used to be able to see palmettoes and coonties along the railroad but there are a few homes including a friend's in that area that still have native pine rockland habitat.
I just passed that little spot on 87 th and miller yesterday to visit my parents and saw the sign for sale! My heart just about broke seeing that, that lot has been empty since we moved here in 78 and I would hate to see them clear all those native dade county pines.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:31 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,698,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
I just passed that little spot on 87 th and miller yesterday to visit my parents and saw the sign for sale! My heart just about broke seeing that, that lot has been empty since we moved here in 78 and I would hate to see them clear all those native dade county pines.
And the Fed kills another part of remaining nature with QE. This part of Florida is so predictable, if something unique it here expect it to be destroyed and replaced with an overpriced eyesore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami