Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 07:39 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times

Advertisements

Sort of a good news/bad news situation.

Allen's has sold its pharmacy business to CVS (and CVS will start servicing Allen's Rx customers next door beginning Sunday), but the diner and the medical supply business will stay open. I was worried that with Walgreens across the street and now with CVS next door, that Allen's would soon be no more. Fortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Landmark South Miami store Allen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:40 PM

22 posts, read 24,663 times
Still good to see a local business stay afloat.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:43 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Thanks to CVS for destroying yet another unique part of the Miami area. I will be so happy when they go bankrupt. As for Allen's, they will fade away like everything else in the area. I wonder when they will remove the neon sign?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:48 AM

nm

Old 10-23-2014, 08:52 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Except they haven't, of course. Once again, you've completely missed the mark.
So that great little shopping center they demolished was my imagination?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
So that great little shopping center they demolished was my imagination?
I wasn't going to bother interacting with you, which is why I deleted my message. But since you responded, let me ask you a straight-forward question: What in God's name does the shopping center have to do with Allen's?

Answer: Absolutely nothing. BTW, how, pray tell, was a little shopping center "a unique part of Miami?" You're just going off on another tangent because your first response was completely wrong. Most likely because you didn't even bother to read the linked article.

You may now have the last word because I'm not going to waste any more keystrokes on an individual who uses any excuse to post a negative comment about anything related to Miami, even when it makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:09 AM

139 posts, read 277,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Sort of a good news/bad news situation.

Allen's has sold its pharmacy business to CVS (and CVS will start servicing Allen's Rx customers next door beginning Sunday), but the diner and the medical supply business will stay open. I was worried that with Walgreens across the street and now with CVS next door, that Allen's would soon be no more. Fortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Landmark South Miami store Allen

Thanks for posting. I was driving by there the other day and was curious what was going to happen to it given the new CVS going up next door.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:30 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,900,833 times
MadMan - tallrick said that the little shopping center that was replaced by yet, another generic CVS, was unique because every shop was a mom and pop. How many shopping centers can we say that about today, especially in Miami? You have Hair Cuttery, UPS store, a Walgreens or CVS, a Bank of America or some other huge chain bank, a Publix or Winn-Dixie, a T-Mobile/Sprint/Metro PCS/ATT cell phone place, a TCBY or some yogurt type place. Each shopping center is a carbon copy of the next one. This one was ALL mom and pop stores so it was definitely unique. Some had been there years and years like Allens. And I also believe that Allen's is on it's last legs now that they've sold the prescriptions over to CVS. It's just a matter of time, unfortunately. If you read the comments on their FB, a lot of their prescription customers refuse to use that CVS as a matter of principle.
This is a real life You've Got Mail. Yeah, the Shop Around the Corner said it would stay open, but when it all was said and done, they eventually closed and it was all due to the big chain bookstore. America is becoming generic and homogenized. Soon you won't be able to distinguish one place from the next because each place's uniqueness is being erased by chain stores and restaurants.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:20 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,825,184 times
Most Miamians are oblivious of their surroundings. They drove by the place a million times and never realized what was unique about it. It wasn't only that it was made up entirely of small mom and pop businesses, it was its architectural style. It might have seemed like just another old strip mall but it wasn't, the eastern part of it was very unique and the only one like it. True mid-century modern. I have always wondered who was the architect that designed it. The western part was rather bland and might have been changed over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: