Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 08:10 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Also the other retarded one is when a guy meets a girl in a 21 over club, she is actually 16 but the guy has sex with her with the impression of her being an adult. Some of these hot mamma's need to be charged for that.
You should be ashamed for making that comment. You do not charge a child for an adult's mistake. A CHILD does not have a fully developed brain, and that is why they are not of age to consent. The ADULT is the one with the developed brain and thus should be the one to have common sense and know better. It's a shame that this happens, and really there are multiple people responsible - the club owners serving alcohol to a minor, the parents, the person who had sex with a kid and couldn't tell the difference mentally, etc. But blaming the victim is something that has to stop in this society. It's too bad that such a thing can happen, but most of the time a person in that situation does NOT end up on the sex offender registry. And it is really so bad to have to know a little something about the person you're sleeping with, and perhaps not do it quite so drunk? If this is another way to get young people to think twice before having random sex with people in clubs, I don't think that's a bad effect. The stranger you're having sex with may also get pregnant, may also give you an STD, may also be crazy and a stalker... all kinds of reasons to actually know that person more than a few hours before engaging in sex with them. I'm not saying all one night stands should be banned, but having to think twice about doing it beforehand is not a bad thing. It can be a huge mistake for many reasons beyond the fact that that stranger could be a minor.

I used to be a high school teacher and I can tell you, many of those kids may look like they're older, but almost none of them seem like adults if you talk to them for a few minutes. And the very few who do, would not be the type to get drunk in an over-age club. That's a generalization, but most of the time it's true. If you're having sex with "drunk girl," probably if you talked to her for even two minutes outside of the noise of the club you'd realize she's super immature, doesn't have anything going on for her, and if she's underage it wouldn't be that hard to figure it out if you asked any questions about school, her parents, her life, work, driving... you'd know pretty quickly if she was lying because she would have nothing a 21 year old could relate to to talk about.

Let's stop blaming the victims. When we get to the point that we are blaming CHILDREN for adults having sex with them, there is something very wrong with our society. It is the adult's job to know better, not the other way around. If you're 21 and can't figure out not to sleep with a 15 year old, you need to grow up and get your life together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 08:47 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
You should be ashamed for making that comment. You do not charge a child for an adult's mistake. A CHILD does not have a fully developed brain, and that is why they are not of age to consent. The ADULT is the one with the developed brain and thus should be the one to have common sense and know better. It's a shame that this happens, and really there are multiple people responsible - the club owners serving alcohol to a minor, the parents, the person who had sex with a kid and couldn't tell the difference mentally, etc. But blaming the victim is something that has to stop in this society. It's too bad that such a thing can happen, but most of the time a person in that situation does NOT end up on the sex offender registry. And it is really so bad to have to know a little something about the person you're sleeping with, and perhaps not do it quite so drunk? If this is another way to get young people to think twice before having random sex with people in clubs, I don't think that's a bad effect. The stranger you're having sex with may also get pregnant, may also give you an STD, may also be crazy and a stalker... all kinds of reasons to actually know that person more than a few hours before engaging in sex with them. I'm not saying all one night stands should be banned, but having to think twice about doing it beforehand is not a bad thing. It can be a huge mistake for many reasons beyond the fact that that stranger could be a minor.

I used to be a high school teacher and I can tell you, many of those kids may look like they're older, but almost none of them seem like adults if you talk to them for a few minutes. And the very few who do, would not be the type to get drunk in an over-age club. That's a generalization, but most of the time it's true. If you're having sex with "drunk girl," probably if you talked to her for even two minutes outside of the noise of the club you'd realize she's super immature, doesn't have anything going on for her, and if she's underage it wouldn't be that hard to figure it out if you asked any questions about school, her parents, her life, work, driving... you'd know pretty quickly if she was lying because she would have nothing a 21 year old could relate to to talk about.

Let's stop blaming the victims. When we get to the point that we are blaming CHILDREN for adults having sex with them, there is something very wrong with our society. It is the adult's job to know better, not the other way around. If you're 21 and can't figure out not to sleep with a 15 year old, you need to grow up and get your life together.
I agree with your statements, but lets get in the shoes of a young guy for a minute. How the hell is he suppose to know the age of some of the girls he meets. Many look and act much older than they truly are and on top of this lie about their age. Some people over 18 act like they are much younger so it is hard to know even by their behavior. Are you suppose to ask them for ID because nothing they say can be trusted just like a bouncer or bartender does. Perhaps, but then again they could have a fake ID, the same one they showed the bouncer at the club and the bartender. Another thing to consider is how would women feel if it became common practice for guys to ask them for ID's, wether it is before the initial contact, during a conversation or before sex.

I do not believe that children should be held accountable for their actions like adults but they should somehow still be held accountable for their actions even if their brains are not fully developed. And no I am not blaming the victims. Most of the time it is not them that are at fault, but I am sure there have been a few instances where they have been the ones at fault.

Last edited by straight shooter; 11-04-2014 at 08:59 AM..

Old 11-04-2014, 08:52 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
On the other hand while growing up in Miami, it was common practice for 16-18 year old kids to have sex with lonely housewives. A couple of my friends did it, and nobody seemed to be hurt as long as no one found out. Back in 1983 I remember a neighbor chasing a high school kid down the street after having sex with his wife. This seems more acceptable does it not?

Old 11-04-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
I agree with your statements, but lets get in the shoes of a young guy for a minute. How the hell is he suppose to know the age of some of the girls he meets. Many look and act much older than they truly are and on top of this lie about their age. Some people over 18 act like they are much younger so it is hard to know even by their behavior. Are you suppose to ask them for ID because nothing they say can be trusted just like a bouncer or bartender does. Perhaps, but then again they could have a fake ID, the same one they showed the bouncer at the club and the bartender. Another thing to consider is how would women feel if it became common practice for guys to ask them for ID's, wether it is before the initial contact, during a conversation or before sex.

I do not believe that children should be held accountable for their actions like adults but they should somehow still be held accountable for their actions even if their brains are not fully developed. And no I am not blaming the victims. Most of the time it is not them that are at fault, but I am sure there have been a few instances where they have been the ones at fault.

The victim is never to blame for being the victim of a crime - all you can do to minors is teach them to learn from their mistakes. Please be realistic though, in cases such as what you're describing, where a minor has a fake ID, looks and acts adult, did everything to lie and fool the person, and the perpetrator is someone very close in age - that person does not go to jail and get a record. Those that did when these laws first came about, have recourse to have the record changed, as has already been mentioned. Technically it is illegal, but please, victims of rape go through so much and rarely get a conviction - let's not pretend like every person who is accused goes to jail for life or something, that is not remotely how this goes down. This thread is about sexual predators, not about the very tiny percentage of people who end up in "Romeo & Juliet" situations today but are prosecuted to the fllest extent of the law anyway. And yeah, you are supposed to card. For real, if you're 21 and you don't know that the person you're with is 15, there is something wrong with you - age of consent is 16 if there are 4 or more years difference, so we're talking about a young person not knowing the person they're with is a full 6 YEARS younger than them, or nearly 60% of their age! How dumb does someone have to get to not know this person seems a little too close to be sure. A 15 year old drunk in a club and wanting to go home with an adult is not that common, first of all, and a 15 year old that is in that situation and that you really can't tell is 15 or younger is VERY uncommon.

We're asked in this society to feel sorry for the stupidity of adults way too often - the real world requires that you know the age of who you''re going home with, so you should take adequate precautions to do so if that person seems anywhere near the age of 18 and you could be more than 4 years older than them.

This is a serious concern for both males and females, but the reality is it is rare for a male to look significantly older than his age while 15 or younger. It is also not nearly as common for older women to find an interest in a 15 year old boy or younger, as it is for men to prey on young girls. Any adult woman who has sex with a 15 year old boy or younger is a sexual predator and should be charged as such, the same as an adult man. That's why the laws are in place the way they are. It is messing with the development of a minor to get involved with them sexually when you are an adult who is significantly older than that minor. What kind of 21 year old woman wants to sleep with a 15 year old boy? And the same as with an older man sleeping with a much younger girl, it smacks of desperation and fear of rejection from your own age group if you of an age to be married and you are preying on young teenagers for sex. When you are talking about 15 and 21 or older, it is a crime, and the damage it does to someone either male or female can be quite serious and lifelong.

Rarely is it really so innocent as the examples being talked about here. Most often, it is some 45 year old raping a 10 year old. Let's not lose sight of that in this discussion - these people are living under a bridge because most of them did something blatantly wrong to get convicted, because sexual convictions - even regarding child molestation - are very rare without mountains of evidence. I know quite a few people who went through this, and even some who were able to bring their predators to court, and they still lost - and their lives are ruined forever while this psycho walks the streets completely fine. THAT is the vast majority of cases across this country, and certainly in Miami. The victims deserve at least the respect of having a serious discussion without it always devolving into victim blaming and feeling sorry for the rapist, who gets way more than the benefit of the doubt in this country anyway - you have to prove without a reasonable doubt that this person had sex with you, and that is was rape. That is very hard to do, and does not happen that often. Especially in a time when so many district police departments and hospitals are routinely out of rape kits so people who try to report can lose their short window to collect evidence, through absolutely no fault of their own. And then they are too humiliated and scared to prosecute the county for extreme negligence.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:48 PM

I should clarify in case this wasn't clear in my post, that the age of consent in Florida is 18. However, there is a provision in Florida where minors 16 and older can consent to sex with someone up to age 23, provided that they are not more than 4 years apart in age - and of course, that the sex is consensual. I did NOT mean that a 50 year old can have sex with a 16 year old - that is illegal. If you're an adult, your best choice to be be sure you're staying well above 18 so there is no confusion - I would suggest no younger than 21 once you're 25 or older.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:10 PM

683 posts, read 852,748 times
Quote:

Sorry I don't agree. A 16 y/o isn't a child, they are a teen and know right from wrong. These teens especially in these days they know EXACTLY what they are doing. This isn't 1950 with the naive Leave It to Beaver. Going to the club with a fake ID to pass as older is person is just plain wrong. The guys is labeled a sexy offender and they get off scott free? If a 16 goes steals a car or any other crime they charged for that right? Yes because they know right from wrong at that age.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:14 PM

683 posts, read 852,748 times
Quote:

This is basically my point. Years ago a friend of mine met a 17 y/o 5 foot 9 nine girl in a 21 and over club. Lucky for him she didn't lie about her age. She said she used her sister's ID to get in the club. She looked and acted more like 24. I was like you just dodged a MAJOR BULLET.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:37 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,141 times
Quote:
I don't care if they have rights, because what they do is soul murder, and a conviction should come with the death penalty or life imprisonment. However, this has been an issue in Miami for some time, with many living under the Julia Tuttle bridge, etc. If you don't at least create specialized group housing, or make clear zoning that allows for indoor living, you are making it far more likely for these people to become even more mentally ill, and to re-offend as well as commit other crimes.

Also, while I have no compassion for offenders because what they did was a choice, the reality is we are far behind in our ability to treat people who are behaviorily addicted to such actions. This kind of public shaming and lack of any human rights makes it far less likely that an offender will admit to crimes, or seek help. At the very least, while we can't stop those who are obsessed with such actions because it has become part of their sexuality, we can at least provide comprehensive cognitive behavioral therapy, group therapy, and training to help these criminals understand the magnitude of the destruction they are responsible for. We can require them to attend group meetings as long as they are under surveillance, the same way alcoholics might be ordered to attend AA meetings. They should be in jail for life (which also gives time to overturn if there was for some reason a false conviction), but we as a society are sending mixed messages. You can't let them go free, and then treat them like criminals still out on the street. Either you keep them in jail, or you allow them the chance to try to rehabilitate their lives. With a lot of support, some will. Many won't. But those that are not capable of living a life without offending, should never see the light of day anyway - regardless if they were molested themselves and that's the reason, as an adult you need to take responsibility for your actions. You can't hurt people just because you were hurt. And a sexual offense completely destroys who a person is, and their ability to live a normal life forever.

We need to talk about this loudly and more publicly, and help people understand how serious sexual offenses are, and where to get help without fear of total demonization - to help prevent it BEFORE it starts. The less we talk about this issue, and the more we throw away people who offend, the higher the likelihood these people will offend again - and in many cases have no understanding that they destroyed the soul and the life of each person they did it to. I don't feel sorry for them in the least, but I care enough about the victims to want to do whatever it takes to make this epidemic stop.
I agree with most of this.
However, The "soul murder" part, I take issue with. Maybe for some, but certainly not for all victims.
Also, there's many types and degrees of crimes that can get a person registered but they are treated all the same

Old 11-08-2014, 11:44 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,141 times
Quote:

I agree, a 21 year old guy may well be on the level maturity-wise with a 15 or 16 year old. If she's in the club with a fake ID, she broke a law. It should be safe to assume someone being served alcohol is 21.
Should she be charged...yeah, some community service at least for intentionally breaking the law.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:44 PM

3 posts, read 4,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
See that is beyond stupid. Nobody should get sexual offender charges for that. I'm talking about the 40 y/o nut jobs with 13 y/o's. The charges definitely need to be amended, although in the state of FL I thought 16 was consensual.

Also the other retarded one is when a guy meets a girl in a 21 over club, she is actually 16 but the guy has sex with her with the impression of her being an adult. Some of these hot mamma's need to be charged for that.
In Florida the age of consent is 18, but you're allowed to have sex with a 16 or 17 year old if you're under 24. Tallrick's neighbor who's a sex offender for the 19/17 case must have moved to Florida from another state where that relationship is illegal. (Unless Florida's statutory rape laws were different in the past when he might have been arrested.) Or maybe Tallrick's neighbor is lying about why he's a sex offender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami