Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:57 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times

Advertisements

This thread is about SPEAKING SPANISH not about race or races that do speak Spanish. Keep it on topic of if speaking Spanish is helpful or necessary when living in and or around Miami. All other posts will be deleted and continued offenders of off topic posts will be given infractions.
Thank you

Old 01-08-2008, 01:15 AM

49 posts, read 250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
This thread is about SPEAKING SPANISH not about race or races that do speak Spanish. Keep it on topic of if speaking Spanish is helpful or necessary when living in and or around Miami. All other posts will be deleted and continued offenders of off topic posts will be given infractions.
Thank you
Oh, i'll be good I promise . Actually the OP question asked if being spanish helped in SF not just speaking it, unless they had a typo i'm not aware of.
But to seriously answer the question, well I think that in almost anywhere ppl tend to help their own, but you will find plenty of latinos in SF struggling too. I know that some of my African American friends from SF I went to school with moved to Atlanta and Charlotte and other major cities in the south because a lot of them just felt that SF flat out catered more to hispanics in general and found it a lot harder to advance in jobs and things like that, but then there were others that never wanted to leave and do well in MIA. Unfortunately I speak English and Portuguese so its not that big of a help in MIA I moved from DC and did fine getting a job related to my degree (poli sci). Miami is a very international city and is considered the 'gateway to latin america' so yes, job opportunites increase greatly if you habla espanol. I don't live in MIA anymore but I enjoyed my time and lived well there with my non spanish/ speaking self

Last edited by garota123; 01-08-2008 at 01:40 AM..

Old 01-08-2008, 04:29 PM

398 posts, read 1,409,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc724 View Post
Yesterday, I was yelled at for giving the toll attend a 20 dollar bill and she said her response solo en espanol. Im like what??? But I understood since I am latino but she never said anything in Ingles. LOL. I love it here!!!

I DEMAND English everytime I have s ituation like that. And yes I speak Spanish but this is not lake tiki taka. This is the USA.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:39 PM

And back to the topic, being this a more spanish speaking city, I think it makes my life miserable. Why? well, because I start from the logic base that everybody comes here voluntarily. Everybody choses The USA voluntarily. Everybody as well, knows before coming here that American people speak English. So, keeping the use of reason and normal critical thinking, if you chose the USA within hundreds of countries around the world, you might like English. Well, Miami is actually hurting the future of new immigrant generations because selfish people here block their process of transculturization by not letting them learn the official language of the nation (although not official by law, official because its people say so)

If anybody who comes from a different country prefer Spanish, then you have spanish speaking countries around the world. They can go there.

Now is different when you notice that somebody here is struggling to speak English because is learning, then is our responsibility to teach him/her; speak slowly, clear, that way the person get used to it.

And for those trying to impose spanish here, I demand it everytime from any public service or anybody that I don't know. Those who refuse to speak English are highly humiliated by me in front of the rest of the people. That way they think twice if they are living in the right or the wrong country.

So at the end, Spanish here is not helpful for anybody, and unfortunatelly is necessary. Could be helful for somebody who just came here, but for the vast majority, is a pain in the neck. Unless somebody wants to live in a self segregated underworld of course.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:54 PM

10 posts, read 19,877 times
Default Spanish

I speak Spanish and English equally well (3RD GENERATION hISPANIC-AMERICAN). Actually my English is superior to most Americans that do not also happen top speak Spanish, but I do not engage these people that tend to solely speak Spanish. believe it or not, I drive them crazy because they'll speak Spanish to me , and i'll speak English to them.

There are two kinds of people you will hear speaking Spanish;

1. The Bilingual type who already speaks English.

2.The recent immigrant who knows no better.

Most of the time when you see an immigrant refusing to learn English it's because the person is a moron.

There is no shortage of moronic Spanish speakers. In fact, there is an abundance. The culture itself is very nice (idealistically speaking or as a whole), but whithin this 'ideal" state the morons are legion.

I find that i also am not much for these new mexican immigrants though i support them in principle because i feel bad for them, but as soon as they get acclimated to American culture they go bananas. i mean they start driving aggressively, show little respect for other multi-generational hispanics and generally develop a chip on the shoulder.All this while hardly keeping down a job or even speaking the language. For these types a good kick in the pants and bus trip back home is appropriate.

No the Hispanics should not turn America into a god damned banana republic, but they should integrate themselves into the culture like everybody else.

On the other hand, i do not think there is anything wrong with speaking another language as long as you do not make people uncomfortable.

Of course there is the typical American bigot who wants to coerce the occasional spanish into submission.These need a kick in the ass as well.

Spanish is by nature an aggressive culture. It is a lovely language that is just as beautiful as any if not more so, but there are many morons who take things to extreme.

Most of humanity is moronic.Whether Hispanic,Asian, Black, or any other.
Classiness and principle are the realm of the distinguished-a rare thing.

By distinguished i do not mean educated, for there are many educated people who are also morons as we all are quite aware of.

My two cents. learn English or go back home.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-10-2008 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: calling out the moderators is disrespectful

Old 01-08-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune2402 View Post
I speak Spanish and English equally well (3RD GENERATION hISPANIC-AMERICAN). Actually my English is superior to most Americans that do not also happen top speak Spanish, but I do not engage these people that tend to solely speak Spanish. believe it or not, I drive them crazy because they'll speak Spanish to me , and i'll speak English to them.

There are two kinds of people you will hear speaking Spanish;

1. The Bilingual type who already speaks English.

2.The recent immigrant who knows no better.

Most of the time when you see an immigrant refusing to learn English it's because the person is a moron.

There is no shortage of moronic Spanish speakers. In fact, there is an abundance. The culture itself is very nice (idealistically speaking or as a whole), but whithin this 'ideal" state the morons are legion.

I find that i also am not much for these new mexican immigrants though i support them in principle because i feel bad for them, but as soon as they get acclimated to American culture they go bananas. i mean they start driving aggressively, show little respect for other multi-generational hispanics and generally develop a chip on the shoulder.All this while hardly keeping down a job or even speaking the language. For these types a good kick in the pants and bus trip back home is appropriate.

No the Hispanics should not turn America into a god damned banana republic, but they should integrate themselves into the culture like everybody else.

On the other hand, i do not think there is anything wrong with speaking another language as long as you do not make people uncomfortable.

Of course there is the typical American bigot who wants to coerce the occasional spanish into submission.These need a kick in the ass as well.

Spanish is by nature an aggressive culture. It is a lovely language that is just as beautiful as any if not more so, but there are many morons who take things to extreme.

Most of humanity is moronic.Whether Hispanic,Asian, Black, or any other.
Classiness and principle are the realm of the distinguished-a rare thing.

By distinguished i do not mean educated, for there are many educated people who are also morons as we all are quite aware of.

My two cents. learn English or go back home.

great post.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-10-2008 at 11:28 AM..

Old 01-09-2008, 04:10 AM

440 posts, read 1,495,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecall View Post
And back to the topic, being this a more spanish speaking city, I think it makes my life miserable. Why? well, because I start from the logic base that everybody comes here voluntarily. Everybody choses The USA voluntarily. Everybody as well, knows before coming here that American people speak English. So, keeping the use of reason and normal critical thinking, if you chose the USA within hundreds of countries around the world, you might like English. Well, Miami is actually hurting the future of new immigrant generations because selfish people here block their process of transculturization by not letting them learn the official language of the nation (although not official by law, official because its people say so)

If anybody who comes from a different country prefer Spanish, then you have spanish speaking countries around the world. They can go there.

Now is different when you notice that somebody here is struggling to speak English because is learning, then is our responsibility to teach him/her; speak slowly, clear, that way the person get used to it.

And for those trying to impose spanish here, I demand it everytime from any public service or anybody that I don't know. Those who refuse to speak English are highly humiliated by me in front of the rest of the people. That way they think twice if they are living in the right or the wrong country.

So at the end, Spanish here is not helpful for anybody, and unfortunatelly is necessary. Could be helful for somebody who just came here, but for the vast majority, is a pain in the neck. Unless somebody wants to live in a self segregated underworld of course.
My lord ..... I actually agree with you on the something for the first time .

Old 01-09-2008, 03:12 PM

70 posts, read 243,608 times
TO:rune2402

Well said......i'm not spanish or hispanic, but i did take spanish classes in high school..but i forgot most of it...i didn't really have anyone to practice with.....anyway i really agree with you....i feel like some of the hispanics down here can be very disrespectful to non-spanish speakers or non-hispanics and i even experienced discrimination from them, i've been down here for over a year, came from the D.C. area and i was a bit shocked to see how some of the spanish people treated black people...i find it quite weird since we are all minorities...but i came to the conclusion that they can only get away with this because they practically run Dade County.....if they were to leave here and live up north...they would notice a big difference...no more special treatment because you are simply spanish or hispanic...the true American experience excludes Miami......i used to be very sympathetic towards hispanics but that has changed since i came down here....which is unfortunate....

Last edited by nohope; 01-09-2008 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-09-2008, 03:26 PM

655 posts, read 2,183,233 times
As a Hispanic, I want to move to Miami. It is not necessarily the Spanish, but personally, I just love the hot, humid weather, and most of all, I want to get in touch with my Cuban side, and it's the best place to do so.

As for the Spanish thing? I love my language, and I'd take it with me wherever I go. Furthermore, I'd find Spanish-speaking people anywhere. It has nothing to do with making life easier. I'd gladly stay in New York, if not for the winter. lol.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:29 PM

5 posts, read 9,652 times
Most of the people here in Miami speak from 2 to more languages. I've heard that in Hialeah there are people who don't speak english or spanish. But I have no need to be there. That's why I don't have any kind of problems here in Miami. Plus there are no important or interesting places in Hialeah. There is nothing.

And yeah, there is racism within the hispanic community, but that's because you'll find them in many different colors. But here in Miami? hummmmmmm.... I wouldn't say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami