Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:36 PM

653 posts, read 743,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
I'm Asian and I live in Miami :-) Don't worry racism against Asians is non-existant in Miami, it will probably be one of the least racist city toward Asians in the US!
Even in places in the US that have plenty of Asians, racism will never be as bad as in Australia, for instance people shouting at you these things will never happen in the US.
Hi djmanu, many thanks to you and Starfishkey for taking the time to reply to me, much appreciated;some of the other repliers here did not take me query seriously and doubted me outright; i now have a better sense of what to do if I come down to the US and Miami for a holiday. thanks once again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 12:07 PM

67 posts, read 133,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Hi djmanu, many thanks to you and Starfishkey for taking the time to reply to me, much appreciated;some of the other repliers here did not take me query seriously and doubted me outright; i now have a better sense of what to do if I come down to the US and Miami for a holiday. thanks once again!
Try to understand that some of these posters couldn't tell if you were serious.

Asians are usually thought up as being intelligent/very well educated, so they're almost never viewed in a negative way here. Really, the worst that could offend or confuse you is that people might not know much about Singapore, or they might assume that you're Chinese. Violence isn't a concern at all unless you are in a bad neighborhood. In which case those people mess with everyone. Stay away from the more sketchy parts, and you'll be OK

Old 12-31-2014, 02:40 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
My advice: skip Las Vegas and do both LA and San Francisco. If you're going to Miami and will see the clubs there, why waste time in Vegas? Save it for another trip.

Oh, and Miami...It should be safe for you.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:58 AM

653 posts, read 743,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantShoegazer View Post
Try to understand that some of these posters couldn't tell if you were serious.

Asians are usually thought up as being intelligent/very well educated, so they're almost never viewed in a negative way here. Really, the worst that could offend or confuse you is that people might not know much about Singapore, or they might assume that you're Chinese. Violence isn't a concern at all unless you are in a bad neighborhood. In which case those people mess with everyone. Stay away from the more sketchy parts, and you'll be OK
Thanks! Really relieved to hear that. So I got South Beach and the Keys on my list - based on some of the great advice given. How many days do you think that would be required? I am currently looking at 3-4 days, at most.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:01 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
You should take that as a GOOD sign.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:20 AM

249 posts, read 419,705 times
Ive seen quite a few Asian tourists. Miami is not unsafe for any race or ethnicity. The parts of Miami that are unsafe, are unsafe for all races. There is racism everywhere but Ive never heard anything racist about Asians and racism in Miami is a very passive Latin American style of racism. Nothing overt like "Anglos" do, like calling you a pig. I just returned from North Carolina and in a gas station bathroom in South Carolina, I saw the N word and hateful stuff about black people scribbled on the wall.

So yeah, you wont have to worry about racism but if there are some racists, they probably wont beat you down for your race or call you a dirty name in public. Thats just not it goes down in Miami.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:25 AM

229 posts, read 533,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLoud View Post
Ive seen quite a few Asian tourists. Miami is not unsafe for any race or ethnicity. The parts of Miami that are unsafe, are unsafe for all races. There is racism everywhere but Ive never heard anything racist about Asians and racism in Miami is a very passive Latin American style of racism. Nothing overt like "Anglos" do, like calling you a pig. I just returned from North Carolina and in a gas station bathroom in South Carolina, I saw the N word and hateful stuff about black people scribbled on the wall.

So yeah, you wont have to worry about racism but if there are some racists, they probably wont beat you down for your race or call you a dirty name in public. Thats just not it goes down in Miami.
You're stereotyping both Latin Americans and Anglos.

In other words, you're being the racist.

What cultural style of racism are you using?

Old 01-03-2015, 08:51 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLoud View Post

In the Carolinas racist attitudes are still widely accepted. I don't think racist people will go as far as calling others a "pig" in front of them but they will use the "n" word when talking between themselves (and nobody will object to it) and some disturbed individuals will leave anonymus racist comments like the ones you saw. They wouldn't dare to use racial slurs unless they can flee the scene like during road rage encounters.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:37 AM

229 posts, read 533,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
In the Carolinas racist attitudes are still widely accepted. I don't think racist people will go as far as calling others a "pig" in front of them but they will use the "n" word when talking between themselves (and nobody will object to it) and some disturbed individuals will leave anonymus racist comments like the ones you saw. They wouldn't dare to use racial slurs unless they can flee the scene like during road rage encounters.
Racist attitudes exist in Miami as well. Why do you think communities like Hialeah are so homogenous? The Hispanic residents won't sell to blacks in those areas. They don't even like selling to dark Latins.

Look at this incident in Hiealah:

http://www.miamiherald.com/incoming/article1948107.html

Hate crime trial starts for Hialeah man accused in racial attack

"After he was wounded in Miami’s McDuffie race riots more than three decades ago, Luis Gonzalez harbored a deep-seated resentment toward blacks, jurors heard Monday.
So when two young black men walked past him outside a Hialeah pizza joint in January 2012 – looking arrogant, he later claimed – Gonzalez hurled racial slurs, hopped in his truck and tried to ram them, prosecutor said."

Old 01-03-2015, 02:02 PM

249 posts, read 419,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty View Post
You're stereotyping both Latin Americans and Anglos.

In other words, you're being the racist.

What cultural style of racism are you using?
look up the definition of racism. I'm not saying either people are genetically prone to racism. When I made that post, I used my personal experience and experience from reading up on American and Latin American history.

Why are you so upset? Stereotypes are usually rooted in truth, and what I posted is accurate from my life experience and from reading history.

I'm hispanic and have experienced overt name calling racism from some "Anglo" Americans (in South Florida nonetheless) and know the history of American racism is a very public one. Being hispanic, I've personally heard of plenty of racist things coming from hispanics. The main difference, though, is that while hispanics can be just as racist as Anglo-Americans, they will rarely ever call you a name to your face or treat you differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami