Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 02:54 AM

361 posts, read 837,468 times

Advertisements

I didn't find it difficult to make friends here
I actually found it way easier than up north in Canada but I agree that most of the friendship have been made in the nightlife scene :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 07:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I have had friends in Miami, some for over 30 years. The problem is that the best who are born in Miami eventually leave for a better life. Those that stay generally go nowhere, and face a life of financial issues. It takes 10 years or more to know who your friends are, and the few friends I still have in Miami are a major reason why I ever visit that forsaken place. Today's Miami is a catch all for the world's castoffs and crooks, so unless you are one of them Miami will rub you the wrong way. There are still thousands of good people in the Miami area, but they will continue to leave for greener pastures or harden into a seasoned resident able to avoid the scams and transient lifestyle.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:28 PM

798 posts, read 1,460,434 times
Default well yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
A smart old person once told me that the problem was that deep inside many people in Miami are miserable and that is the reason why they superficial, fake, and shallow. It's possible, who knows.

There is one word... AMBITION... People are starving here to have that rich style and when they realize the will never be enough the frustration comes. That's why people are miserable, because they don't fit into that "perfect" fake lifestyle that the general media pretend to push on general population. You notice it when you go to your gym in where you can see more than 30 tv screens in front of you while people jogging in a scalator trying to have that perfect body. It automatically jumps to your eyes the bs people are consuming at present. All type of BS ads etc and you think to yourself. We are like guinea pigs all the time. I think people should really change the way how they live their life and start learning how to live with little.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:52 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James XV View Post
They're also just generally stupid. I lived in Miami for years

Miami is the most illiterate city in the U.S.

Illiteracy in the USA

The city isn't exactly known for sophisticates with depth of character and knowledge. Just bling and being fake people with massive credit card debt pretending to be something they're not.

South Florida rated most cash-poor in nation - Sun Sentinel

You would never know seeing all of the "bling" in the area. Such a sad place and leaving was the best thing I ever did.
Guess it depends on your source and their methodology. Miami doesn't make most lists, though cities in California and Texas do.

"Some cities in the U.S. don't match up to the literacy of most fifth graders. The cities are as follows: Stockton (California), Bakersfield (California), Anaheim (California), El Paso (Texas) and Corpus Christi (Texas)."

Tried to follow your Institute link--it's broken.

America’s Most (and Least) Literate Cities - 24/7 Wall St.

5 Least Literate Cities In U.S.

https://homes.yahoo.com/news/america...224612878.html

Old 01-09-2015, 11:36 PM

471 posts, read 621,383 times
Miami was designed/built in a way where normal socialization with humans is impossible. Your best friend will always be your vehicle.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:33 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
I moved down here (1970's) fresh out of college to start a new job. My place of employment had no one near my age - all the people were at least 15-20 years older than myself. I moved from the Midwest. I had a very tight budget, lived in an apartment complex near Dadeland. I had left all my friends, was rather naïve, not interested in partying or drinking. I made some friends but often they would move out of town - Miami Dade co is so transient.

I feel that each place has a 'personality'. This area is a vacation destination, lots of partying, clubs, etc. I now realize that it was just not a good 'fit' for me. I am more into nature, the outdoors, gardening, birds, etc. It is not easy to find others who share my interests. Even people I know who work in the conservation field don't go hiking on their days off. They don't seem to share my passion. My second home is Everglades National Park - my favorite place to hike. I also love history, but history does not seem to be honored down here. If it is old, tear it down! So, I will be moving back north and back to four seasons - each with its own good and bad qualities. I want to be around more people who share my interests and to visit old homes of famous people, see barns and fields of grain and even cattle and hogs. I miss the people 'of the earth', honest, open, with common sense. I get the feeling that many people down here are very superficial, manipulative and just, plain corrupt. Just not a good fit for me. Not my kind of place. I loved my job, but now that I have retired, I am moving on. I wish the best for the people here.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:42 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:

Illiteracy in the USA

The city isn't exactly known for sophisticates with depth of character and kno
wledge. Just bling and being fake people with massive credit card debt pretending to be something they're not.

You would never know seeing all of the "bling" in the area. Such a sad place and leaving was the best thing I ever did.
And you know this how ? Usually when I hear people bash others and call them stupid, I put them in that category as they have no idea what they are saying, maybe ignorant is a better word or jealous because they don't have the fake superficial lifestyle as others. Hey when you see a survey delve in to it deeper as there is more to it, is it structured in a biased way in a favorable or non-favorable light? Is it the City of Miami or Miami-Dade they are alluding towards? If this place is so sad why is it one of the fastest growing cities presently in the United States, maybe it is a good thing you did leave there is one less of your kind

Old 01-10-2015, 08:51 AM

366 posts, read 517,274 times
cause a lot of pplare trying to live up to an image they cant sustain and have to lie steal and cheat their way to that image.its hard to be loyal to fake ppl n miami is the king of fake more than any US city in the country. i love this city but hate the ppl

Old 01-10-2015, 10:03 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
I agree with Tricounty--it's not just Miami....I live in SoCal (San Diego), which I refer to as FauxCal....I am originally from NY and almost all my friends--i.e. people I can actually depend upon and have an occasional intelligent conversation with--are from there or the Northeast. Here in SoCal you have people from all over but from within the US you have many who are from non-Metropolitan areas who think they are living on the set of "Happy Days" whom I have nothing in common with due to their--not mine--lack of worldly experiences, basic common sense that was drilled (actually, slapped--by my father) into my head by age 6, and a limited set of conversation topics.

My suggestion for you would be to try your best to meet as many people from where you grew up with whom you at least have some basic things in common ...isn't there a website or app called Meet Up?....try that.

I am looking forward to moving to Miami Beach in the near future because, if nothing else, it is still the East Coast and when I ask an East Coaster how much is 1+1 they will tell me 2, not c-a-t. In addition, there are far more ex NY'ers in South Florida so aside from running into people with whom I have something in common, I won't stand out as the only a88hole in the room like I do here in uptight and politically correct SoCal--(oops, FauxCal)--where I have survived more than 30 years of Groundhog Day meets Stepford Wives.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:21 AM

683 posts, read 853,452 times
Quote:

Illiteracy in the USA

The city isn't exactly known for sophisticates with depth of character and knowledge. Just bling and being fake people with massive credit card debt pretending to be something they're not.

Pretty accurate. When I lived in Miami I took it for what it was. Party, party, party. I moved there when I was 20. When I got tired of the superficial and pretentiousness I moved away. Best thing I ever did also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami