Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 01:13 PM

29 posts, read 31,283 times

Advertisements

How much would you be making in NY or San Francisco?

Maybe I'm totally off, but just estimating you would only deliver to say 4 rooms/hour, and a $2 tip from each would get you to $8/hr, provided you got to keep the whole thing.

I worked at the Sheraton Hotel in Pittsburgh, PA, which is the congress type of Hotel and not a tourist center so much, and I had a day around 10-12 orders in the room in the morning shift tips 40-50 $, and in the afternoon and night shift 12-15 orders tips 60-120 $.
Please note that the congress type of the hotel is not more profitable(for waiters in general),
than a tourist type, and tourist type of the hotel is with more frequent orders, and also Pittsburgh is not Miami.
Just for example Room Service Server in New York(Hilton, Sheraton..), 5 star hotel, gets 4000-6000$ in tips a month! But it is hard to get that job there and I better like sun of the Miami and swimming in the sea all year around than snow and heat of the asphalt in NY.

I also worked in the Le Meridien hotel in Europe(Starwood hotels group 5 star) which is a resort type of the hotel, and there is less tip than Pittsburgh and USA somewhere, because the waiter in Europe has a salary $2000-2500 a month after tax, so it comes up to $3.000 with tips. Even much more in particular tourist centers with many American tourists(Paris, London, Venetia, Rome...).

I would be satisfied if I can make in Miami 2500$ - 3000$ after tax to start for a first year, working as a Room Service Server.. Decent living..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 01:56 PM

MadManofBethesda

Thank you for your post and moral support.

As you wrote, the best about my topic will know employees in the same business working in Miami hotels, or people who frequently travel and stay at hotels and also are ordering food and drink in the room.
I always counted with the idea that Miami is a big tourist center in the world, that attracts many tourists to come to relax and have fun, and do not watch every dollar spent.

Therefore, I think that they should be willing to reward employees for a good service like in other parts of US.
I have to do more research on this subject, although I do not have a lot of time, because it is close to the time of my departure.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:22 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The people who have responded to your inquiry have been talking out of their collective arses and they have absolutely zero knowledge of this area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
But don't expect knowledgeable information from people who live in Miami who may or may not even travel at all, much less know what traveling to Miami is even like. After all, unless they're in the industry, how would they have any idea what is routine in Miami hotels?
Pot, meet kettle.

Alan- What type of traveler does your current property cater to? If it's business travelers, the higher tips make a little more sense. In general you'll be making more from business guests than tourist.

One thing to keep in mind is that many times in Miami (especially at the beach) many foreign tourist don't tip at all since it's not customary in their country to have to tip separately. You'll notice many dining establishments tack on a gratuity automatically out there because of this.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:57 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
[quote=Alan Ford;38183082]How much would you be making in NY or San Francisco?

Maybe I'm totally off, but just estimating you would only deliver to say 4 rooms/hour, and a $2 tip from each would get you to $8/hr, provided you got to keep the whole thing.

I worked at the Sheraton Hotel in Pittsburgh, PA, which is the congress type of Hotel and not a tourist center so much, and I had a day around 10-12 orders in the room in the morning shift tips 40-50 $, and in the afternoon and night shift 12-15 orders tips 60-120 $.
Please note that the congress type of the hotel is not more profitable(for waiters in general),
than a tourist type, and tourist type of the hotel is with more frequent orders, and also Pittsburgh is not Miami.
Just for example Room Service Server in New York(Hilton, Sheraton..), 5 star hotel, gets 4000-6000$ in tips a month! But it is hard to get that job there and I better like sun of the Miami and swimming in the sea all year around than snow and heat of the asphalt in NY.

I also worked in the Le Meridien hotel in Europe(Starwood hotels group 5 star) which is a resort type of the hotel, and there is less tip than Pittsburgh and USA somewhere, because the waiter in Europe has a salary $2000-2500 a month after tax, so it comes up to $3.000 with tips. Even much more in particular tourist centers with many American tourists(Paris, London, Venetia, Rome...).

I would be satisfied if I can make in Miami 2500$ - 3000$ after tax to start for a first year, working as a Room Service Server.. Decent living..[/quote]

This is not going to happen so you need to look elsewhere for work. Sorry

Old 01-28-2015, 06:26 AM

Thank you to all members of this forum for their comments.
Keep comment with your suggestions and knowledge on this subject, and also were invited all who work in hotels in Miami to give their opinion on this subject.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami