Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:16 AM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,878 times

Advertisements

Why not just visit for a few days and see for yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 09:52 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,380 times
Statistically you're much more likely to die or be injured in a car accident...which happen quite often down here, much more than coastal Maine for sure. There are also the psychological effects of dealing with the traffic down here every day, which affect some people more than others--there's a reason why road rage is common. West Kendall has some of the worst traffic in South Florida and can be a long, stressful drive to the city and the beaches, and otherwise to get peace and fresh air many people have to drive in the same traffic just to get to a park... That would be my main concern as far as quality of life, health, and safety, not gangs (unless your friend is a dealer or something...). Most people will never have a problem living in Kendall. The vast majority of people who have problems will experience car vandalism or petty theft. Gated community is no escape as there are other people inside of the community plus their guests, so you never know.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:00 AM

19 posts, read 31,374 times
I would say you should go down there and check it out for yourself. It is like any big city with positive and negative aspects. It is also, in my opinion, unique in that it has more of an international flavor than most US cities. If you appreciate the food and people of Central and Latin America (of which I am one), you'll see that the positive aspects outweigh the negatives.

There's a lot of places where you can find information about how to stay safe as a tourist and your Colombian friend can certainly fill you on on what's safe. As a person who's family has had a generations-long relationship with Miami (even though some of my family live there and others live elsewhere), I would recommend that everyone visit and get to experience the culture, the people, the food, the climate--all good!

Old 01-29-2015, 10:51 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
and fortunately I had enough money to pay one of the gangs the toll to drive on their territory.
I also regularly pay rackets to the MDX gang. Very dangerous people.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:00 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine View Post

Is Miami really that bad?
Yes

Quote:
My friend (a Colombian) has lived there his whole life and never had a problem. he says there's nothing to worry about but I read these threads and people saw its horrible. People saw you cant even walk down the street or go out at night or you'll die.What? Is it really that bad?
Yes you can die, better not walk alone on deserted streets especially at night.

Quote:
My biggest fear is being kidnapped by gangs or shot. Is this silly? Could this actually happen?
Yes it can happen and no it's not silly. You could die or end up seriously hurt.

Quote:
Or am I just afraid because I'm white and not from the area.
No your fear is rational.

Quote:
My friend has a room for me in a gated community in Kendall. He says I'm crazy for thinking this stuff.
Your friend is wrong.

Quote:
I understand that the weather is hot and my driving is crazy but what else should I be worried about? Am I just crazy?
Worry about everything, especially not being able to communicate in English.

Quote:
Thank you
Your welcome

Old 01-29-2015, 12:07 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Live in Goulds, it probably has as much traffic in your Maine town, they do have stop lights in this Miami-Dade suburb though.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:40 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,597 times
Quote:
Hello, for two years my friend has been wanting me to move from my small, coastal town in Maine and go to Miami. I come from a very low population town that doesn't even have a stop light.

A few thoughts, please pardon my ignorance.

Is Miami really that bad? My friend (a Colombian) has lived there his whole life and never had a problem. he says there's nothing to worry about but I read these threads and people saw its horrible. People saw you cant even walk down the street or go out at night or you'll die. What? Is it really that bad? My biggest fear is being kidnapped by gangs or shot. Is this silly? Could this actually happen? Or am I just afraid because I'm white and not from the area. My friend has a room for me in a gated community in Kendall. He says I'm crazy for thinking this stuff.

I understand that the weather is hot and my driving is crazy but what else should I be worried about? Am I just crazy?

Thank you
You will be in for a shock. My sister used to work in York, ME. I've seen plenty of Maine folks have a culture shock. Better off in Ft. Lauderdale

Old 01-29-2015, 05:23 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Is Miami really that bad? Well it depends on what you are comparing Miami too? And what a persons likes and dislikes are. Your friend is Colombian, that says a lot right there ... Miami is like little South America in many ways. OP, you are from Maine, Miami will be a HUGE culture shock for you. The Broward suggestion (a very good one) would be a buffer in a transition from the small town life you are living to a big city life without a huge cultural shock too you from Maine.

You will not die when you walk down the street or go out at night, could you be mugged, raped, assaulted, yes. There is crime here (its a big city), you have to use big city common sense when you are out and about. If you are a woman, you don't want to walk down the street late at night by yourself or in a parking garage alone. As long as you don't live in a bad area or aren't hanging out with a bad crowd, you don't have to worry about gun shots. Your car or house getting broken into, yes that is a real concern even in nice areas of Miami. Again if you use your big city common sense like never leaving anything of value in your car, get a car alarm, etc. You won't become a victim. If someone breaks into my car, all they'll get is a comb and a few quarters if I have any.

If you want to see what the crime has been like in Kendall for the last month follow the link and put in the dates you want to see, zoom into Kendall and make sure you have the crimes checked you want to see Crime Mapping - Miami Police Department Don't be shocked when you see the board light up like a christmas tree with crimes, Miami is a big city.

The best thing would be to come down for a week in August when its hot, humid and rainy. This way you can see Miami at its worst weather wise. See how the drivers are ... See if its a place for you to live for a few years. If you don't like it after a year or more, you can always leave.

Quote:
Is Miami really that bad? My friend (a Colombian) has lived there his whole life and never had a problem. he says there's nothing to worry about but I read these threads and people saw its horrible. People saw you cant even walk down the street or go out at night or you'll die. What? Is it really that bad? My biggest fear is being kidnapped by gangs or shot. Is this silly? Could this actually happen? Or am I just afraid because I'm white and not from the area. My friend has a room for me in a gated community in Kendall. He says I'm crazy for thinking this stuff.

Thank you

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-29-2015 at 05:33 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 05:26 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
No, but you should definitely be prepared. Have you spent any amount of time in big cities before?

Old 01-30-2015, 06:36 PM

366 posts, read 517,145 times
stay out of the hood and keep your nose clean and you should be fine. just make sure you have a job lined up as the economy sucks in south florida compared to the rest of the usa and the cost of living is high
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami